In the box or out?

FlyingMonkey

Reaction score
Hey kids... new Monkey in the house.
Geez, this board just rocks!

I've been collecting figures for a couple of years now (Star Wars, LotR, McFarlane) and normally refuse to open them. I figure that at some point in my life I may need to cash in on this little investment :smile:

Of course, my self-control isn't what it used to be. Lately, I've opened quite a few LotR figures (the 12" Cave Troll is awesome!) as well as the Good Ash/Bad Ash from McFarlane. When I started collecting the Muppets line, I swore to myself that I would keep them MIP... then I bought the Muppet Labs playset. I couldn't... COULDN'T leave this beautiful playset in my closet. So, last night I broke down. Beaker is currently sitting on my desk at work, strapped to Bunsen's experiment table :smile:

I'll probably end up buying another Labs playset, just to keep for my MIP collection.

Now, if I could just find an extra Bunsen Honeydew...

towels

Reaction score
Originally posted by FlyingMonkey

Now, if I could just find an extra Bunsen Honeydew...
EB Games in Washington Square still had some figures. They're remodeling a bit so I think their stock may have been hidden. Actually Sam Goody also had Piggy and Kermit and someone else, but I don't remember if it was Dr. Teeth or Bunsen.
Things From Another World was supposed to be getting some too, but not for a month or so after general release according to the employees.

BAZ

Reaction score
I seprate the plastic from the cardboard along the bottom and sides,leaving the top as a "hinge". Allows me to take them out to admire/play/pose/show off. Then put them back in with a small binder clip at the bottom to hold them in. The main purpose of this is to keep them clean. I live in a very dusty area.

ronskimomo

Reaction score
It is so hard to destroy the wonderful boxes, but they are so fun to play with. It was especially hard to open the Muppet Labs playset, but it was well worth it. I have been torturing Beaker ever since.

SweetHart

Reaction score
Wouldn't you want to keep them in the box just in casethey are worth anyting? Although it is tempting to take them out and position them..put bunsen and beaker in the lap.. and when the animal playset comes out, put him, dr. teeth and floyd n there....i wonder if they are going to make a clifford or janice figurine, what do you think?

Louis Kazagger

Reaction score
Originally posted by SweetHart
Wouldn't you want to keep them in the box just in casethey are worth anyting?
Compared to twenty years ago, a much much greater percentage of people are going to keep their toys mint in box, so I don't really see long term gains being there (any more than say inflation). Lots of people are going to have these figures sealed in the packages down the road, so I say why torture yourself and not open these if investment sake is your only reason for not enjoying a product that was meant to be played with? Now, for me, I like to think I view the toy, packaging included, as a form of art, and I enjoy seeing it sealed in its package, like a little pristine statuette. I'm afraid that if I open it I might lose parts, which seems to have worked out okay for the Venus de Milo, but..... :wink:

Jackie

Reaction score
I'm not looking for gains, I just want to admire them in their packaged form :smile:

DarthGonzo

Reaction score
Originally posted by Jackie
I'm not looking for gains, I just want to admire them in their packaged form :smile:
True, but the figure itself looks SOOOOOO much better out of the packaging than in. Dr Teeth, in particular, looks fantastic with his hat on and playing the keyboard.

I basically open everything I buy. I wasnt gonna open the Tuxedo Kermit (I dont buy exclusives unless the figure was actually seen in this varient form) but I just couldnt take it anymore. The only figures I havent opened are the Toyfare Simpson exclusives of Boxing Homer and Radioactive Homer, as well as about a half dozen Star Wars figures. I came across a Star Wars figure of a Death Star droid about a year ago at a Toys R Us for $1.99! I checked a price guide and this figure was listed as $25 or so! I figured I'd just be better off keeping it in the packaging. I also keep the tags on a few of my limited edition Godzilla toys, but I dont think anyone is familiar with them.

Pschtyckque

Reaction score
Hey, Slim.

As a graphic designer myself, I can truly appreciate the quality of the packaging design. While I do open all of my figures (they are toys. :wink: ), I do have one Kermit still carded. Gotta keep one on that great card!!

Keep up the good work! Can't wait to see what you have in store for Wave 4+

Chris