I'm Sick of Everybody's Obsession with Wedding Rings...

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I mean seriously, it's getting rully old... as soon as a married celebrity is photographed without wearing his/her ring, then all of the sudden, everybody's like, "OMFG! HE/SHE'S NOT WEARING HIS/HER WEDDING RING? WHY IS HE/SHE NOT WEARING HIS/HER WEDDING RING? ARE THEY ON THE VERGE OF GETTING DIVORCED! OMFG!!!"

The final straw was today when the photos of Katy Perry spending Christmas in Hawaii, and was photographed in the ocean without her wedding ring, and everybody was like, "OMG! WHY IS SHE NOT WEARING HER WEDDING RING?! ARE SHE AND WHAT'S-HIS-NAME GETTING DIVORCED?!" Uh, does it not occur to any of these people that common sense would tell someone like Katy Perry to take her ring off before she gets in the water so she doesn't end up losing it in the ocean and never seeing it again? What about anytime holly-housewife takes her ring off to wash dishes or something... does the minute she take her ring off before she sticks her hands into the dishwater suddenly mean she's had it with marriage? And the actual and inevitable divorce aside, what about whenever men like Ashton Kutcher are seen without their rings? Isn't it actually pretty common for men to simply not wear their rings out of laziness or whatever reason? I mean look at married men of the 50s, 60s, early 70s and such, they hardly ever wore their rings.

Some people rully need to get a life (and maybe get married themselves so they can worry about their own rings instead of everybody elses).

charlietheowl

Reaction score
It's what the celebrity industry thrives on, making mountains out of anthills. My mother, who is in every other aspect of her life a sane, rational, intelligent person, is completely addicted to celebrity gossip. She reads those tabloids like InTouch and Life And Style and watches Access Hollywood and E News all the time. It's enough that I find when she watches The Young and the Restless to be a merciful respite from that garbage. At least soap operas can be funny in an over-the-top way.

But back to your point, the celebrity news industry has to keep churning out stories to keep itself going, so it's going to naturally gasp at straws and attempt to create controversies when nothing's there. And it works, which is probably the worst part. I'd talk about how inane celebrity culture is, but I'm just as bad as everybody else is when it comes to paying attention to this stuff. I just have the pretensions to tell myself that it's smarter the way I do it, but there's only a few degrees of separation between Life and Style and Rolling Stone.

Puckrox

Reaction score
When I saw this thread I thought this had to do with wedding rings in general. Because I'm obsessed with wedding rings, but not so much other people's rings. I could care less about celebrities and what the heck they're doing with their lives. I just like ogling rings for myself. :big_grin:

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
what about whenever men like Ashton Kutcher are seen without their rings? Isn't it actually pretty common for men to simply not wear their rings out of laziness or whatever reason? I mean look at married men of the 50s, 60s, early 70s and such, they hardly ever wore their rings.
Yeah I know men who don't wear their wedding rings. Some guys just don't like to, it doesn't mean there's something wrong. Heck if I got married I'm not sure I could get used to wearing a ring all the time! Lol

Ozymandias

Reaction score
Yeah I know men who don't wear their wedding rings. Some guys just don't like to, it doesn't mean there's something wrong.
This. I've never in my entire life seen my Dad wear his wedding ring. Am I unsettled by this? No. The reason why my Dad doesn't wear his wedding ring is because he works as an electrician, and if he's working on electrical equipment he can't be wearing any jewelry of any kind because a) it's the company's safety policy and, more importantly, b) he could risk getting shocked and killed that way. Some guys/girls don't wear their wedding rings because of the job they work at.

bazooka_beak

Reaction score
My bro-in-law lost his ring when he went swimming in Hawaii. So, yeah, it's a good idea not to wear one in certain situations.

mr3urious

Reaction score
Wearing rings all the time would be uncomfortable. I don't blame people for taking them off once in a while. :big_grin:

charlietheowl

Reaction score
Hate to completely disprove everything we discussed in this thread, but I saw on Yahoo News that Katy Perry and Russell Brand did actually split up.

Puckrox

Reaction score
Hate to completely disprove everything we discussed in this thread, but I saw on Yahoo News that Katy Perry and Russell Brand did actually split up.
Saw that on facebook. Could not care less.

Honestly, the only celebrity couple that I would mourn if they split would be Will Arnett and Amy Poehler, and that's only because they're such an adorkable couple.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Most celebrities just shouldn't get married, because their marriages never last... they don't take love seriously, they're too obsessed with fooling around with as many people of the opposite sex as possible... my mom used to LOVE John Mellencamp, but now has lost respect for him for dumping his wife of several years for Meg Ryan (personally, I lost respect for J.R. Martinez when I read he has a girlfriend that he empregnated).

As for Will Arnett and Amy Poehler... they must want a large family or something, because it seems like Amy's become a baby-makin' factory, like everytime she has one baby she's pregnant again, :laugh:

But as far as celebrity couples go, if there's ever one couple I would be upset over a split, it would be Alan Alda and his wife Arlene, as they've been married since they graduated high school, and its clear those two really do truly love each other.