I'm new and a little cynical...

superfan

Reaction score
Hi!
Just sticking my feelers in and around the postings to get a general vibe of the place!
I love Sesame Street. really I do. But (and I'm sure you get this alot!) it has gone steadily downhill since Jim Henson passed on. This may make some of you bristle, so let me know your opinions!
*Elmo runs the show as far as I'm concerned...not good.
*Big Bird's voice is a travesty. Although major kudos to Carrol Spinney for keeping his arm up for so long!!
*Bert is an intensly worried little chap who looks like he's going to be sucker punched any minute.
*No old clips to keep the adult audience's attention or amusement!
...I could go on...don't get me started on Disney's involvement! Whoa!
Mind you, I admire anyone who keeps the faith and watches it today finding the good in it. :concern:
Long post, but looking forward to chatting with you all!
Thanks!
Superfan

Boober_Gorg

Reaction score
superfan said:
*Big Bird's voice is a travesty. Although major kudos to Carrol Spinney for keeping his arm up for so long!!
His voice sounds different sometimes because Matt Vogel is Carroll's substitute, when he can't make it to the set.

superfan said:
don't get me started on Disney's involvement! Whoa!
What involvement? Disney is in no way connected with Sesame Workshop (thank goodness).

scarylarrywolf

Reaction score
I think most of us would agree with everything you've complained about. Personally, I think Matt Vogel will make an excellent fill in for Carroll, but I wish they would knock off the "Journey to Ernie" garbage. It's barely educational and the format is too stiff.

Elmo needs to be shot. Period.

I think Eric is doint an OK job with Bert. Frank's voice is changing and Eric sounds about the same as Frank does in the present. Of course I'd rather be performing him...

They certainly don't show enough old clips! They need to get rid of the formatted trash (Cookie Letter of the Day [come on! what IS that?!], JTE, Spanish Word of the Day, Elmo's World) and show a tone more old and new clips. That's what keeps interest, not 10-minute long re-runs of Big Bird looking for Ernie. I feel like my attention span is getting lesser and lesser every time I watch SS these days.

Most of us aren't thrilled about SS, and it is disappointing that the Muppets have changed so much since Jim (especially now that disney is in the mix). But what I've learned from Kermit is to be ever-optimistic, so I believe one day things will turn around for the better. :smile:

superfan

Reaction score
Thanks!

Thanks for your replies, people! I know that Carrol Spinney's replacement is Mr.Vogel and it remains a travesty in my eyes. And as far as Disney's involvement...I leapt on that one pretty quick, sorry. I thought they were involved with Sesame Street, but didn't they put some sort of legal liability on anyone who makes a puppet remotely similar to a Muppet?

I really wish I could get Noggin and watch those old shows.
What percentage of adults compared to that of children watch the show? And is Sesame Street losing more viewers as a result of its descent down the slippery slope? Hhhmmm.

Thanks for being optimistic, but after Kermit's appearance on the Nick and Jessica Variety Hour, I almost died.

Talk soon.