I'm building my second Muppet.

BorkBork

Reaction score
Hey!

You might remember my Beaker puppet.

I will take some new pictures of the finished one next week and post it here :big_grin:

Well, i used ping pong balls for his eyes.
Now i am going to build a Sam Eagle, starting tomorrow. But his eyes are a little bit larger, so i can't use pingpong balls. Do you have any ideas for what i should use? :confused:

I don't want to use paperballs, they are to matte...

So, please, gimme some tips.

Thanx

/Anders

CaptCrouton

Reaction score
I know you've already finished Sam, but I wanted to throw some information out about this in case someone found it useful.

What's worked well for me is covering a styrofoam ball with the end of a sock. Actually, I've covered lots of things with socks before, particularly for blacklight puppets because I discovered how well my socks always glowed with the blacklight.

But socks are good and elastic and I always have an extra one when it's partner goes into Dimension X through the dryer portal. I recall a number of years ago making eyes for a much more gifted puppet maker by putting sock fabric over the end of a plastic spoon. You just stretch the fabric over the front, and stitch it together in the back. Then I think we fastened it to the head with a glue gun.

Markus

Zoot

Reaction score
How much would you charge for your art, if some one were to ask you to build them...oh I don't know...A Fire Guy?

BorkBork

Reaction score
are you asking me or the guy who replied to my post?

Well, i don't know what i would charge, you know i am just starting out on this.

/Anders

BorkBork

Reaction score
yup, i have seen that. I think they are based on pingpongballs. Tha eyes for sam needed to be a bit larger, so i used styrofoamballs, cut into half.

fluffmuppet

Reaction score
Holy poop! That's what I use, BorkBork!! Styrofoam balls 4 life...urrm, yeah..^^;;;

~fluff~

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
Originally posted by Zoot
How much would you charge for your art, if some one were to ask you to build them...oh I don't know...A Fire Guy?
Hey, we build custom puppets! Check out our site @ OMCS

*Unfortunately we can't copy copyrighted characters, but we can build virtually anything original!

Zoot

Reaction score
Thanks for the thought. I'll definately check out the site. Do you know if JHC will do that sort of thing for private consumers? How approachable are they about their characters and letting people have replicas of them?

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
Originally posted by Zoot
Thanks for the thought. I'll definately check out the site. Do you know if JHC will do that sort of thing for private consumers? How approachable are they about their characters and letting people have replicas of them?
As far as I know (though there may be others more "in the know" than I) they don't build Muppets for private individuals or anyone outside the company. I know there have been exceptions over the years, but in most of those cases the receiver had some sort of personal or professional relationship with the company.

Closest I've seen to an authorized "replica" are some of the nicer plush puppets that have been produced over the years. The last Kermit puppet was especially nice (though it had too much padding in the head). You can probably find them for sale on ebay.