ILM Blows Up San Rafeal...

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
I thought this was pretty funny....you'd think they'd know better after all these years in ILM Country:

Game 5 of the World Series was just about over when a tremendous blast shook San Rafael Fire Station 4.

"It was right at the end of the ballgame," Capt. Paul LeVeque recalled of the Thursday evening incident. "We were watching it and there was an explosion."

East of the Castro Street firehouse, just off Francisco Boulevard in the Canal neighborhood, smoke was billowing.

Firefighters scrambled, mustering a full response with three engines, one truck and one rescue unit. When the first engine crew and chief officer arrived, they told the rest of the crew to forget it.

The explosion, heard as far away as Peacock Gap, was no emergency. It was a special effect...

For the rest of the story check out http://www.marinij.com/Stories/0,1413,234~24407~1723123,00.html

Chilly Down

Reaction score
Hee hee. That was funny; thanks for posting that.

I'm just surprised (and thrilled) that they even do live effects (like explosions) anymore. I would have thought everything was just CGI by this point.

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
I think people would be surprised how many practical (non-digital) effects ILM still does. They keep an active model shop. Many of the buildings in the new Star Wars movies are actual minatures. Most FX explosions, fire and water are still shot "live" but then extensively manipulated in the computer.