If you support Disney owning the Muppets...

a_Mickey_Muppet

Reaction score
They have my support.While some think Disney are doing nothing, they are working hard to get new entertainment behind the scenes.

i hear ya on that Muppetperson... just because we dont hear any Muppet related news from Disney (or romors) people on the MC boards "flip out" (or what you wanna call it) IF thay dont hear nothin new on the Muppets months on end! all you ever see members postin is... "Disneys killing the Muppets", "Disneys killin the Muppets", "Disneys killin the Muppets", "Disneys killin the Muppets", "Disneys killin the Muppets"! gosh people I'm sure 100s of things (ok maybe NOT 100s but alot) are being done "Behined the Scenes" just because you hear nothin DOESNT mean crap! :mad:

sorry i JUST needed to rant some :zany:

Gonzo's Chicken

Reaction score
I read, I think on Jim Hill's page, but I'm not 100% sure, that under the revamped MGM Studios, which will be called Disney Hollywood that they are planning on giving themes to the different sections of the park, and one of the themes mentioned was the Muppets. I know this could be another internet rumour, but I think it could be a definate possibility. By the way, I'm going to voice my support for Disney. I know we haven't gotten much in the way of new material under their ownership, and most of the proposed projects never get off the ground, but I think if any company will be able to bring the Muppets back to their glory days it will be Disney. I think its best that they take their time and develop the right type of projects to get the Muppets back into the limelight, rather than just throw a bunch of half ***** projects at us and hope one sticks. I also have to say I'm not sorry that some of the projects haven't materialised - America's Next Top Muppet sounded lame (although I think the "mini movies" sound kind of lame too).
I think we just need patience and Disney will deliver.:smile:

TheJimHensonHour

Reaction score
i hear ya on that Muppetperson... just because we dont hear any Muppet related news from Disney (or romors) people on the MC boards "flip out" (or what you wanna call it) IF thay dont hear nothin new on the Muppets months on end! all you ever see members postin is... "Disneys killing the Muppets", "Disneys killin the Muppets", "Disneys killin the Muppets", "Disneys killin the Muppets", "Disneys killin the Muppets"! gosh people I'm sure 100s of things (ok maybe NOT 100s but alot) are being done "Behined the Scenes" just because you hear nothin DOESNT mean crap! :mad:
Hey Mickey Muppet guess what? Disneys Killing The Muppets!:wink:
haha couldn't resist:embarrassed:

Drtooth

Reaction score
Thank you for the clarification! The idea of closing an attracton so beloved by fans and non-fans alike didn't sound right to me, but Disney has made some odd moves in the past. I see Muppet Vision as Jim Henson's "swan song" with the Muppets. I hope it never closes.

I do think that Disney should (and could possibly) give the Muppets an "official" section of the park. It would show Disney's confidence in the Muppets to really brand them (still as Muppets, but) under the Disney banner. I haven't really felt that yet.

Still wondering if there really is much of a mystery project with them and if so, what it is?

Even if this were true, if they threatened to do the same with Star Tours, we'd have a million angry Star Wars fans shooting out petitions left and right.

MelissaY1

Reaction score
I read, I think on Jim Hill's page, but I'm not 100% sure, that under the revamped MGM Studios, which will be called Disney Hollywood that they are planning on giving themes to the different sections of the park, and one of the themes mentioned was the Muppets. I know this could be another internet rumour, but I think it could be a definate possibility. By the way, I'm going to voice my support for Disney. I know we haven't gotten much in the way of new material under their ownership, and most of the proposed projects never get off the ground, but I think if any company will be able to bring the Muppets back to their glory days it will be Disney. I think its best that they take their time and develop the right type of projects to get the Muppets back into the limelight, rather than just throw a bunch of half ***** projects at us and hope one sticks. I also have to say I'm not sorry that some of the projects haven't materialised - America's Next Top Muppet sounded lame (although I think the "mini movies" sound kind of lame too).
I think we just need patience and Disney will deliver.:smile:
I think some of the first few Disney/Muppet projects were very successful and well done: Muppet Christmas Carol and Muppet Treasure Island are the first that come to mind. Then of course you have Bear in the Big Blue House, etc. Things started off very promising, but in recent years I have been honestly less than impressed with the Disney/Muppet projects. I hated the Christmas movie, etc. Yeah maybe they do need some time to revamp things but I don't think they (or any company really) will ever bring the Muppets back to their glory days. It's just a different world now, and unfortunately I think the Muppets have gotten a little lost in that shuffle. Remember back in the 70s and 80s the Muppets were "hip". Even earlier than that they were groundbreaking.

In today's culture, it's sad to say but the Muppets are widely either considered children's entertainment or lame/not cool. :frown: It's unfortunate but I'm just trying to be realistic. And I just don't think Disney's focus is really on bringing these characters back or understanding what made them tick or what made them popular. It was another commodity for them to buy the rights: more money revenue. Plain and simple.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
The latest Muppet Christmas special was a Henson/NBC production (pre-Disney). Oz was Disney/ABC. Just to clarify that any praise of blame for that particular Christmas project doesn't go to Disney. Personally, I liked the Christmas special and Oz too. They aren't my faves, but definitely pleased me as a fan.

What happens with long-running entertainment groups (like the Muppets) is that they can easily get trapped. They tend to either retrace their steps resulting in a watered-down version of what once was great. Or they take too far a departure thus alienating the core fan-base. Disney does have a challenge with the Muppets. :wink:

However, the Muppet Show releases give some hope that Disney is striking the right chord.

I feel that many fans have a puritanical view of the Muppets. One that I believe never existed. The times have changed and cultural taboos have changed with them. That doesn't mean that the Muppets should ever resort to cheapening themselves. But Scooter cage dancing in an "alternate reality" and Pepe mistaking "TIN" Gonzo's nipples are hardly outrageous or cheap tactics in this fan's eyes. I laughed and one of the jokes resulted in a spit-take! :concern:

There is a fine line and I think Disney has been taking some time to find it. Maybe they haven't always been graceful about it, but they are trying. :smile:

MelissaY1

Reaction score
Ah, I got my recent Muppet TV movies mixed up. I liked Oz better only because I felt the characters even though they were playing Oz characters were more themselves. I thought it was more creative than the Xmas movie just parodying every other film.

I never had a puritanical view on the Muppets and quite frankly neither did Jim himself. Look how many sexual things were entwined in some of the earlier stuff particularly on the Muppet Show. I mean come on, the pilot was called "Sax and Violence" :smile: Or how about Kermit appearing with Cher on her T.V. show asking her if she "fools around". :smile: But on the other hand I hate that entertainment today has to go for sexual/cheap humor to try and get laughs. I'm so sick of fart jokes in kids movies, etc.

But getting back to the whole Disney thing, I think they are trying but they have to try harder. I think their worst recent move was putting out Season 1 of the Muppet Show edited. Don't tell me they couldn't get the rights. It's that they don't want to pay. I work in a DVD related industry and work with a lot of mom and pop public domain DVD companies as well as high end major studios. I think again Disney just couldn't be bothered or not caring enough to fork over the required funds needed to get those song rights so they can release those episodes properly. How come Time Life could put out the unedited Season 1 Vincent Price episode and Disney couldn't? They are both huge companies that can more than afford it.

Also their severe lack of Muppet merchandise particularly for adults in the Disney store is another mistake. I couldn't find ONE Muppet item aside from DVDs in my local mall's Disney store. And the one in NYC wasn't much better either last time I went. I really wish they would put as much time and energy into the Muppets as they would as all their other current crap like "High School Musical", etc.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
It is not a puritanical view of the Muppets. It's just that there's a difference between mature adult humor and immature sick humor.

theprawncracker

Reaction score
MelissaY1 said:
I really wish they would put as much time and energy into the Muppets as they would as all their other current crap like "High School Musical", etc.
See, that's the thing. Disney doesn't put time and effort into their current crap like "High School Musical." They just put it out. I think that Disney is taking time to release quality Muppet merchandise, while from "High School Musical" we see cruddy... everything. Time is the key here. Time is what's needed to make quality stuff.

MelissaY1

Reaction score
See, that's the thing. Disney doesn't put time and effort into their current crap like "High School Musical." They just put it out. I think that Disney is taking time to release quality Muppet merchandise, while from "High School Musical" we see cruddy... everything. Time is the key here. Time is what's needed to make quality stuff.
They just put it out, yes, BUT how much have they promoted this **** piece of garbage? Every time they have a new animated film come out they promote the **** out of that too. That's what they need to do with the Muppets as well! Promote and produce quality stuff. And I agree, time does produce quality material.