If they had mentioned David's death on the show

BooberFraggless

Reaction score
I always figured they could have mentioned David's death on the show, and everything still would have turned out okay. It could have had Big Bird and Elmo coming into the store to Order something, and they could ask Gina where David is, that they haven't seen him around lately. Gina could explain to both of them that David had died. Big Bird would understand right away, because he remembers when Mr. Hooper died. Elmo however would have questions about it, asking if there was any way they could bring David back. With help and support from both Gina and Big Bird, Elmo would slowly begin to realize that David wasn't coming back. It would be sad, that's true, but neccasary. If you think about it. Although they had already adressed death on the show before, it was in 1983 and David died in 1990 so therefore a whole new group of Youngsters were then watching the show religiously. I don't think a goodbye David episode would have hurt one bit.

Beauregard

Reaction score
That would certainly have been a good thing. After all, not everyone has seen the Hooper Episode. And issues addressed once should still be addressed again.

ReneeLouvier

Reaction score
David...the black kid? I forget him, I was a 1991-??? Sesame Street watcher. So I've also not seen the Mr. Hooper incident. (Until someone graciously posted it on YouTube.) So that would make for a good "Dealing with Death" episode for the new generation of children.

Infinity Sirius

Reaction score
I'm surprised they haven't done another episode like that or put the Mr. Hooper episode on VHS. They've done a hurricane episode twice to my recollection, but then again death is a touchy subject and they may feel one episode was enough.

MartyMuppets

Reaction score
The way I understand it Mr.Calloway who played David had actually quit his job on the show a short while before he became sick and died so the explanation about him moving away to his grandmother's farm was probably already planned before they had the opportunity to have another long time cast member's character die within the show.
It would have worked as a sequel very well though.

dvakman

Reaction score
I'm not sure it would have worked so well. David would not have died an old man, and the actor's well documented "problems" outside the show would have complicated the picture. I think Calloway's death was better left private in the context of the show.

Katzi428

Reaction score
In my opinion,they should have mentioned David's death. Kids are often told that when adults go away,they'll be back soon. But with Big Bird etc. being told that David went to help out at his grandmother's farm,it makes kids wonder,"When's David coming back?"
I agree that they shouldn't mention how Northern Calloway died.

MartyMuppets

Reaction score
Perhaps they made David go to the farm with the purpose of leaving it open for Calloway to come back if he wanted but then he suddenly upped and died on them. So they essentially ignored David in reference to cover their own noses so to speak.

Katzi428

Reaction score
Bill Bubble Guy said:
Perhaps they made David go to the farm with the purpose of leaving it open for Calloway to come back if he wanted but then he suddenly upped and died on them. So they essentially ignored David in reference to cover their own noses so to speak.
I suppose you're right.