If JIM HENSON was alive TODAY

JimmyDeanDog

Reaction score
I often pondered this queston from time to time:
====================================
HOW would Jim react to the world of today if he were still alive?

re: the Internet, TV, current movies, productions -etc
I believe he would've really approved of this web forum,
and perhaps there are OTHER issues concerning the Muppets
that could've raised his eyebrows in either disapproval
or acceptance

Baby Gonzo

Reaction score
I feel as though he wouldn't have been surprised at many developments in technology and entertainment. He seemed to be one step ahead on that front.

Also, he seemed like the type who was constantly moving on and trying something new. I don't doubt that the Muppets would still be around if he were alive, but I think we would have seen more innovative things from him.

I don't think he would be holding his head in shame at where the Muppets are today. I think he would have done things differently, but that's not to say he wouldn't approve or disapprove for that matter. But the movies and other productions we have seen since his passing probably wouldn't exist or would have been vastly different.

bazooka_beak

Reaction score
I think things definitely would've turned out differently. I'm not sure if the "based on a book" movies would've happened, same with Oz and In Space. If the Studio DC thing HAD to exist, I'm sure he would've had a different angle somewhere.

It would've been interesting to see how he might embrace new technology (like CGI, modern special effects, etc). But even if he were still around, we can't be positive the Muppets would still be as popular.

Baby Gonzo

Reaction score
Even in Jim Henson's time, there was experimentation with 3D and CGI. Everyone knows Waldo as the first computer generated Muppet. It's interesting to see how far things have come since then. I think he had a defiant appreciation of traditional means, but he also seemed to embrace technology.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Just informed fan speculation

If Jim had lived the Muppet Christmas Carol would likely have happened, but would have been much more Muppety. Treasure Island likely would not have happened. We would have more television specials, but probably not Muppets Tonight. At least not in that incarnation. It would have been a little more cutting edge. He would have brought the Muppets forward. He would have done much more in computer animation and created more Waldo like motion capture puppets. There would be several more Disney Theme park Muppet attractions as well as a feature animated film with the Muppet Show characters traditionally drawn by Disney artists in the early 90s. I doubt he would have disturbed the Fraggle Rock property much. Sesame Street would still be the show we grew up with. There would be more fantasy pictures, but he would not touch Labyrinth again and a Dark Crystal sequel wouldn't be likely either. He'd move forward. Try his hand at live action dramatic and comedic pieces. The Muppet characters would always be around yet it would be a labor of love and loyalty rather than a means to float his other projects. He'd be having fun creating. That's what I'd like to think. That is if Eisner ever got off his back about the Sesame characters. He would never have sold those and thank frog Disney doesn't have a piece of Grover. :super:

Anyway, Jim loved technology. He’d be into every aspect of it from the internet to gaming. Little Big Planet and Spore are close to Jim-like ideas. I’d also like to believe he’d have a World of Muppets online game. It would be like Warcraft but the characters would hurl penguins at one another rather than weapons. :zany:

Kiki

Reaction score
I gree with everyone's posts, and this is a really interesting thread- there's no right or wrong. Anyway, it is hard to say though. I'm sure he'd be up with the latest technology, being a gadget guy, and I'm sure he would've approved of the internet and he'd be involved with all sorts of things. The Muppets would be... quite different to what it is now I'm guessing, too. I guess it's sorta like if John Lennon was alive. Or not. I 'unno, fer some reason I just compare the two. *Shrug*

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
Well to me the thing is is that I totally have to rethink this question after reading street gang, because that just opened up a new dimension about how things might have gone.

I mean first. not only was the deal with Disney off of they continued to pressure the Disney characters. And I'm sure Jim would have had it after they stabbed in in the back so to speak and used his properties behind his back after the deal went sour. I mean who know what would have happened if Jim and set everything up for Cooney and CTW to where Disney could never get their hands on the characters. Who knows what Disney would have done afterwards and what Jim would have done?

Also, he was a fee bird and didn't liked being caged up, and that is exactly what Disney did to him and just another factor why he didn't want to go with them. Who knows, but it most likely possible that they and the Sesame street characters would never have gone to the German company EMTV. Witch mean the CTW would have never had to buy them back (or at least Jim's share) back from them.

It seemed like every move Michael Eisner made was a screw over or a setback for somebody. I just think it all would have happed differently. This legal limbo would have been all different. So It's hard to say exactly how it would be now?

Vic Romano

Reaction score
The classic characters would always be around, but they certainly wouldn't be at the forefront. Fantasy films would be more and more the norm I think. I believe there'd be tons of viral videos. Jim would've been all over the internet.

I also believe because of always pushing into new technology and with the current explosion of interest in video games, we'd see some very cool Henson video games. Not necessarily Muppets, but definitely some very cool RPGs.

The 11th UrRu

Reaction score
We would have more television specials, but probably not Muppets Tonight. At least not in that incarnation.
I would have agreed with you on that point up until I saw this clip some months ago.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1-PwZltH8E

Anyone with any more details? This leads me to believe that Jim was full steam ahead with developing Muppets Tonight just before he passed...