"If I Were" by Kermit the Frog

SuperGrover

Reaction score
Hello. I've found a wonderful song by Kermit the Frog that I either haven't payed enough attention to notice it before, or else I've never heard of it to begin with. But it's very nice! What a pleasant discovery to find such a song! It's a quality recording. I'm surprised it hasn't been more widely distributed on CD. Or has it?

It's called "If I Were" with Jim Henson as Kermit. I'm not sure if it's mislabeled or where it originally comes from, but the mp3 I found credits the album "A Sesame Street Celebration", which is why I'm posting about it here under the Sesame Street section.

But what I want to know is where it originally comes from, if there was a sketch on Sesame Street with this song, and/or about how old it is, etc..

Goes a little like this:

"If I were a baker, you could have a cruller. If I were a painter, choose your favorite color."

If I were able, I'd maybe post more lyrics. I am not the webmaster, or I could have fixed it. (The Sesame Street Lyric Archives is down or the MC link not working.)

"I am not a farmer, can't give you a bunny. I don't have a beehive, sorry 'bout the honey."

"Did you guess my secret? I am not a poet. Couldn't write a sonnet, and I think you know it."

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Travis,

Yes this was on Sesame Street. I believe I have this on video somewhere. It's a SUPER little song and I'm glad you found it. It is awesome to rediscover classics for the first time.

You can also hear it (and all the other tracks from the Jim Henson Sesame Street Celebration CD) on Muppet Central Radio.

http://www.muppetcentral.com/radio/index.shtml

SuperGrover

Reaction score
It really is a wonderful song. And I too agree it would fit in nicely on the Muppet Show for Kermit to sing to Piggy or something.

Anybody have any idea how old this Sesame Street song is? Would the Celebration album say on it?

BlueFrackle

Reaction score
Travis,

Id also suggest 'This Frog' i heard this and 'If I Were' around the same time, And they are both fantastic songs.

'This Frog' is really beautiful.

See ya

SuperGrover

Reaction score
Hi, Warrick

Yes, I have heard "This Frog" and completely agree with your suggestion because it's a great song too.

I don't know how or why, but somehow "If I Were" managed to sneak past me completely undetected until now.

Maybe I was searching too hard for it all along? Either that or I've been living under a rock. Or both.

Tune in next week when I rediscover "Rubber Duckie".

Secret Squirrel

Reaction score
"If I Were" was written by David Axlerod & Stephen Lawrence, and recorded by Jim in 1981.

secret squirrel

Janice & Mokey's Man

Reaction score
Yeah Travis, I too discovered that song first at MC radio---I TOTALLY fell in love with it, and I was like, "OMG!--What IS this??!"

It is GORGEOUS, and I can just completely see Kermit in a bard's outfit singin' this at the edge of a forest by a medieval castle...

Really!

I can!

:smile:

*sigh*

BEAUtiful, beautiful song...oh, and it's in "The Sesame Street Songbook", too---I even tried to play it for Jackie on THE phone once! LOL!!

:stick_out_tongue:

Hays

Reaction score
It's still out there!

For those of you who try to buy songs they've downloaded so that Sesame Workshop gets the "portion of the proceeds", "If I Were" is included in the album "Dreamytime Songs," which is still in print and a few copies are available new on Amazon, and probably other retailers.

scarecroe

Reaction score
I'll second Hays' comments and urge anyone who downloads songs from the internet to support the copyright holders by purchasing the products that are still currently available.

Dreamytime Songs