Ice Age: Blue Sky's Answer to Shrek?

Muppet Master

Reaction score
Yeah... and that even worse Surf's Up movie was to play off of Happy Feet.

Still, I wonder why everyone thinks that HF deserved a second film anyway... was it THAT popular? I forget did that win an undeserved Oscar for some reason? These off brand CGI movies... I mean, I've said it earlier in this thread, I liked Despicable Me, I liked Igor (though the forced happy ending kinda ruined it for me... I LOVE the dark macabre stuff they had in that film), but everyone thinks that just because Dreamworks makes them, everyone has to make bad CGI kiddy films. And what's worse, they all feel they need a franchise picture because Shrek and Toy Story did it. And TS was kinda forced into a sequel by Disney the first time, and goaded into making one out of spite (Disney threatened to make their own, we all should know that by now) for the third.

I hate Sony's CGI nonsense with a passion... what they did to Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs was a crime, and I'm not thrilled with the direction they took the Smurfs (You DON'T have to make another Chipmunk style movie)... but what the heck was so special about Open Season it has to have 3 movies?

At this point I wouldn't be surprised if Gnomeo and Juliet got a sequel too, since it was literally the ONLY family film in theaters at the time and became a surprise hit. Really... maybe they could make the second one a bXXXXstardized King Lear where everyone lives at the end and dances to some other crummy pop music. it makes kids like Shakespeare! I totally remember the scene in Julius Caesar where Marc Antony gives that heartfelt speech, "Friends! Romans! Country men! Let's get KRUNK in da CLUB! Say Hello to muh little FRENNNN! No one leaves Julius Caesar in the corner" yeah, I'm never going to let that go, am I? But that's EXACTLY what half of that crap amounts to.

An Ice Age sequel I have no problem with, but a series of Land Before Time-esque films? No thank you. There is literally nothing left for the characters to do... continents breaking up will amount to the same storyline as the second one, Diego will go underused and basically be in the film to be in the film... Buck will come back and it will be forced (though I admit, Buck's the ONLY good thing about the third one)... I love Sid and Scratt, but they've done all they could... it's not clever anymore, and I wouldn't be surprised if a fifth one happens.
A few months ago Blue Sky announced they're making a FIFTH Ice Age film slated for 2015! Honestly I loved the original one, I thought the meltdown was okay, and despite the negative criticism I thought Ice Age 3 was a good film, but #4 was basically the meltdown with Jay Lo, and by Ice Age 4 they lost it. Crash, Eddie, and Ellie have literally nothing to do with the movie, and Peaches is so useless and cliche. In the end Ice Age 5 is basically to make some extra cash, and I won't be surprised if it gets a 10% on R.T

Drtooth

Reaction score
I'll admit, the pirates were pretty good, and I only saw number four because of the Simpsons cartoon. But I agree completely. The sub-plot about Manny's daughter was crap. There is no reason why we need a fifth one, I don't care how much money they make... they need to just cut it the heck out already! Sequel another film if you have to but NO MORE ICE AGE!

And seriously. Pixar's getting grief for "Finding Dory?"

Dominicboo1

Reaction score
There's been some speculation and predictions that Blue Sky was going to continue with the Ice Age franchise, and apparently, those speculations are being confirmed, as July 2012 is going to see the release of a fourth installment (the current working titles are "Ice Age 4: The Continental Drift" and "Ice Age: TH4W").

This really begs the question, is Blue Sky trying to make Ice Age their signature movie series in the same fashion DreamWorks did with Shrek?

Let's take a look at all the similarities...

Shrek was DreamWorks' first big animated hit, and kept spinning off into new sequels and "chapters" in the storyline; Ice Age was Blue Sky's first big animated hit, and similarly, the storyline seems to be continuing in each new sequel.

Inbetween the Shrek movies, DreamWorks has had one flop after another, with the exception of Bee Movie and How to Train Your Dragon; likewise, Blue Sky's inbetween movies seem to have been relative flops as well, even though their remake of Horton Hears a Who! became an instant cult movie.

Even with each new Shrek movie, it seems like the rely on side-splitting jokes/gags and cultural references seem to keep increasing; the third Ice Age movie was like a complete rip-off of Land of the Lost.

Shrek the Third ends with Shrek and Fiona becoming parents to ogre triplets; Ice Age: Dawn of the Dinosaurs features of subplot of Manny and Elle expecting a new baby, while Sid "adopts" dinosaur triplets.

Shrek is a curmudgeonly character, with a thorn-in-the-side of a best friend/sidekick in Donkey; Manny is a curmudgeonly character, with a thorn-in-the-side friend in Sid.

Need I say more?
What about Kung Fu Panda? That was NOT a flop at all!

Drtooth

Reaction score
The only real flops Dreamworks has had recently were Legend of the Guardians (confusing concept based on a none too well known kid's book, marketed as a Christmas movie) and Turbo (idiotic concept). They had series that were mild successed that just weren't successful enough, and you never hear of them again (sadly, Megamind, which was awesome). But Dreamwork's films for the most part are pretty big hits. Kung Fu Panda especially. It's one of the only 4 movies to get a regular cartoon series. While I do see Monsters VS Aliens a second chance for the franchise, it doesn't seem to have the same heft KFP: LOA and Penguins had.

Dominicboo1

Reaction score
The only real flops Dreamworks has had recently were Legend of the Guardians (confusing concept based on a none too well known kid's book, marketed as a Christmas movie) and Turbo (idiotic concept). They had series that were mild successed that just weren't successful enough, and you never hear of them again (sadly, Megamind, which was awesome). But Dreamwork's films for the most part are pretty big hits. Kung Fu Panda especially. It's one of the only 4 movies to get a regular cartoon series. While I do see Monsters VS Aliens a second chance for the franchise, it doesn't seem to have the same heft KFP: LOA and Penguins had.
WHY DID GUARDIANS HAVE TO FLOP?! IT WAS WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY MORE AWESOME THAN MONSTERS VS ALIENS, AND MADAGASCAR?!

Drtooth

Reaction score
The concept of Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny among others being bad**s warriors somehow seemed ridiculous. Mainly to those who didn't bother actually seeing the movie. Plus, Christmas movies (due to the poor marketing, it was labeled as this) haven't been all that successful recently. Not to mention how not well known the book series was.

Really is a shame, because it was a quality film. Somehow, I think it would have got better reception if it came out in the summer. Plus, well... November is becoming an increasingly weak month for movies (mainly because you get one good week at best). Kudos to Frozen for owning that month and December.

Drtooth

Reaction score
If you were finally waiting for Ice Age to fail, congratulations. It opened a pathetic fifth this week, while Secret Life of Pets managed to have a strong second place hold in its third. China's probably going to pull a WarCraft and save this film from losing money, but in the meantime, it looks like we're probably going to see the end of this film series when even audiences are sick to death of it.

Muppet Master

Reaction score
If you were finally waiting for Ice Age to fail, congratulations. It opened a pathetic fifth this week, while Secret Life of Pets managed to have a strong second place hold in its third. China's probably going to pull a WarCraft and save this film from losing money, but in the meantime, it looks like we're probably going to see the end of this film series when even audiences are sick to death of it.
Ya, wow pathetic, it opened to $21 million, that's less then half of the last movie's $46 million, and it'll be lucky to reach $100 million at the domestic box office. The bad news is that it already has $179 million at the foriegn box office, so it's going to make money anyways, the co-director has already confirmed they have ideas for a SIXTH film.

https://www.flickreel.com/ice-age-collision-course-interview-with-co-director-galen-t-chu/

I mean just seriously, I am done with this franchise, 1 was good, 2 was meh, 3 was okay, but after that it's just sad. Also I called it for the Rotten Tomatoes score.

I won't be surprised if it gets a 10% on R.T
Also, Ice Age 5 lost to freaking Ghostbusters in it's second weekend, the movie everyone said would bomb. If they were going to release this, they should have done it at a time without two powerhouse animated films, The Secret Life of Pets and Finding Dory, dominating so recently.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Ya, wow pathetic, it opened to $21 million, that's less then half of the last movie's $46 million, and it'll be lucky to reach $100 million at the domestic box office. The bad news is that it already has $179 million at the foriegn box office, so it's going to make money anyways, the co-director has already confirmed they have ideas for a SIXTH film.
Ugh. Had a feeling that was the case. Warcrafted! And of course Blech Sky would milk the franchise harder than come up with something new.

But Hey...as long as it's not another Rio...overrated piece of crap.

Also, Ice Age 5 lost to freaking Ghostbusters in it's second weekend, the movie everyone said would bomb. If they were going to release this, they should have done it at a time without two powerhouse animated films, The Secret Life of Pets and Finding Dory, dominating so recently.
Ghostbusters was the movie those kinds of people wanted to flop. Granted, it's not doing gangbusters and will probably eke out a modest profit at best, but that's enough for them to want to make a sequel of that one. I'm sure a good chunk of the Rotten Tomatoes and Metacritic scores are just those who wanted to hate the film and refused to say anything good about it. It's far from mediocre, not as good as the original, but just an improvement over the second film in every way. Hilariously, Ghostbusters is making more money than most of the films this season. TMNT 2, Tarzan, Warcraft (domestically), Independence Day, and BFG all collapsed quickly and didn't even open 40 Mil.

Muppet Master

Reaction score
Ugh. Had a feeling that was the case. Warcrafted! And of course Blech Sky would milk the franchise harder than come up with something new.

But Hey...as long as it's not another Rio...overrated piece of crap.

Ghostbusters was the movie those kinds of people wanted to flop. Granted, it's not doing gangbusters and will probably eke out a modest profit at best, but that's enough for them to want to make a sequel of that one. I'm sure a good chunk of the Rotten Tomatoes and Metacritic scores are just those who wanted to hate the film and refused to say anything good about it. It's far from mediocre, not as good as the original, but just an improvement over the second film in every way. Hilariously, Ghostbusters is making more money than most of the films this season. TMNT 2, Tarzan, Warcraft (domestically), Independence Day, and BFG all collapsed quickly and didn't even open 40 Mil.
Ya, Rio was nothing special. As for Ghostbusters, it's doing okay, it has a similar trend so far to Ice Age 4, both started at $46 million, Ice Age 4 actually got $20 million in it's second weekend versus Ghostbusters which has $21 million. Ice Age 4 ended up at a $161 million domestic total, if Ghostbusters makes around that, then it would be a solid performance. As for Ice Age 5, fun fact, Ice Age 2 made more money on it's first day at the domestic box office then Ice Age 5 has in it's opening weekend.