I wonder if Sesame Street will ever come on DVD

King Jim

Reaction score
I wonder if Sesame Street: The complete first Season will ever be released on DVD. Will It?

Dantecat

Reaction score
I Really Really Really Hope It Does Bobhopesite! It Will Make Sence For Them To Do It! But If They Go Right Up To Their 40th Anniversary,They TOTALLY Should Do It Big Time Since They're 36th Season Is Starting Next Year So That Way Little Kids Right Now Can Watch The Old/Vintage SS Even If They Watch The New SS!(As Long If Somebody Recorded The Episodes From TV On A Blank Video Tape!) :wink:

Kimp the Shrimp

Reaction score
Dantecat said:
I Really Really Really Hope It Does Bobhopesite! It Will Make Sence For Them To Do It! But If They Go Right Up To Their 40th Anniversary,They TOTALLY Should Do It Big Time Since They're 36th Season Is Starting Next Year So That Way Little Kids Right Now Can Watch The Old/Vintage SS Even If They Watch The New SS!(As Long If Somebody Recorded The Episodes From TV On A Blank Video Tape!) :wink:
That would be a big project i'd prefer a compulation of the season Like season one the Best of and so on

GelflingWaldo

Reaction score
I doubt season sets, but I would like to see "Best of"s of each season/5-years/decade. The reason season sets would be dull is that a lot of things are shown in many episdoes, and sitting down to watch a season you'll see the same skit 20 time, and that is dull. A box set with each disk covering the best skits, songs, stories, and more for a period of 5 years would be more entertaining and effective than trying to produce 35+ season sets and have people buy them. It would take years to do and would be over $1,500 for all the seasons up to now (based on normal season set prices). I would rather have 2-3 hour "best of" clip-shows showcasing the best from each season(s) than full box sets...but that's just me

Smy Guiley

Reaction score
Aren't there about 125 shows in the first season? Plus test shows? Plus a couple of unused pilots? That's a bit large, I'm sure, although, I'm thinking I'd probably still shell out for the set, they'd never make their money back on a box that big....and that's just for one season!!

I'd love to see a REALLY in depth best of, though!!

eric

Dantecat

Reaction score
I'd Prefer A Boxed Season Most Definately! Imagine How Happy Would The SW Would Be If They Just Made All That Money By Releasing It! :crazy: :stick_out_tongue: :zany:

GelflingWaldo

Reaction score
I did some math here...

If Sesame Workshop did produce season box sets, and season one came out in fall 2005 (although realistically from now that's calling it close). And they then released each subsequent season every 6-months (or 2 a year), which is normal for TV shows season set releases. Assuming that Sesame Street stays in production, we would not catch up to the current season untill the fall of 2042 (season 75), and if you bought all the seasons up to that point it would cost up $3,000.00 (assuming standard season set price of $40). Just to get to season 35 (the one right now) you take until spring 2022 and would cost $1,400.00

Even if they did 4 release a year (a season every 3 months), it would take until Spring 2017 to catch up to the current season, and would cost up to $1,800.00

Aside from the few hard core Sesame fans like us, not many would want a compleate collection of the 1969-70 episodes; being they are repetitive at time in repeating skits/songs from episode to episode and are rough compaired to today's show. $40 for a set is going to scare away the more modern and casual fans. To justify a product there would need to be a huge market for such sets to justify, I don't think compleate collections of the seasons would get a big enough market.

Now, if they did "The Best of" collections for each 5 years pf the show they not only would be a lot cheaper; but faster too. If each was 2-4 hours of pure classic Sesame footage (they even could toss in bonus features), they would most likely retail for $20 each (based on standard retail price for disk of that quantity of material) the 7 needed to get to today (8 to catch up to the future seasons). Below is a list of how they could be released.

The Best of 1969-1974 (Fall 2005)
The Best of 1975-1979 (Spring 2006)
The Best of 1980-1984 (Fall 2006)
The Best of 1985-1989 (Spring 2007)
The Best of 1990-1994 (Fall 2007)
The Best of 1995-1999 (Spring 2008)
The Best of 2000-2004 (Fall 2008)
The Best of 2005-2009 (Spring 2009)

It would take less than 5-years to catch up to today, and could total less than $160