I Want To Talk About Kevin Clash

Reaction score
Hi,

I am very new here (I think this is only my third post). I am sure Kevin is mentioned all over MC, but I am having a little trouble figuring out exactly how everything works here. I did a search, but couldn't find exactly what I was looking for.

I don't think it will kill anyone if I start a new thread ... or will it?! :eek: (LOL!) It might be nice to put are comments all in one place anyway.

I realize that a lot of Muppet fans can not stand Elmo. (Some are quite vocal about it!) - But Elmo certainly did fulfill it's purpose! (and then some) It was a character developed especially for the young kids who watch SS. (I would have LOVED Elmo back when I was a baby watching Sesame on my mothers lap!)

The mere fact that Elmo's popularity skyrocketed with the kids it was meant for plus older kids, plus teenagers, PLUS ADULTS (for 20+ years!!) means that Kevin Clash has been doing something right! Kevin has real talent! (And let's not forget he does more than Elmo) He is no flash in the pan!

So even IF we don't care for "Elmo" we have to give Kevin his props!

Someone on here (can't remember who) said it was hard to get into his book. I guess that person is not an Elmo fan ... but still ... Everyone who doesn't like Elmo should clear their mind and read the book anyway. I thought it was incredible. I couldn't put it down! ... Just to read about how he grew up having an obsessive interest in puppets. WOW! It really takes you into the mind of a muppeteer. I am sure many of them have similar stories. (This really has nothing to do with Elmo)

That brings me to something else I want to say. I was chatting with someone about Kevin and he mentioned that Kevin is really a terrible person and he was only hired by Jim Henson because of affirmative action.

1. I can not and will not believe (until someone can produce cold hard facts) that Kevin is really a mean person in his personal life. I just don't see how that is possible with his upbringing and his true love for children. To perform someone like Elmo - you have to become the character or it will never fly. - He would never have become so successful as Elmo if he was really a bad person! (I am very into psychology) - I could be wrong, but I don't think so.

2. The affirmative action comment was the stupidest piece of garbage I ever heard! Kevin was BORN to be a puppeteer! He has the passion and the talent ... and Sesame was not his first show. (I'm sure everyone remembers a little show called The Great Space Coasters!) - I've read the book. I know how hard Kevin has worked to get to where he is. (I've also read Jim Henson: The Works - The Art, the Magic, the Imagination which talked about Kevin very favorably) - PLUS, would Jim Henson risk his reputation to hire someone who was sub par? :rolleyes:

So let's talk about Kevin Clash. Let's not argue - we all don't have to agree (what a boring place the world would be then!) - but let's have a nice mature discussion about are thoughts and feeling on Mr. Clash (and it doesn't all have to be about Elmo)

Vic Romano

Reaction score
rachelfromatlanta said:
I don't think it will kill anyone if I start a new thread ... or will it?! :eek:
ACK!
*drops dead
rachelfromatlanta said:
That brings me to something else I want to say. I was chatting with someone about Kevin and he mentioned that Kevin is really a terrible person and he was only hired by Jim Henson because of affirmative action.
Really? I've never heard that before. I'd say don't even give a rumor like that a second thought, it sounds ignorant. On the other note, I got no issues with Elmo, he's cool, I'd hang with 'im. Think he'd go chill at a pub with me? :wink:

And welcome!

Punch'n'Judy

Reaction score
The book is good (not as good as Carroll Spinney's - in my opinion) but there is a lot that has been left out.

Reaction score
DevonMiles said:
Let's put it this way, another book could be put out that would be twice the size talking about the other side to Kevin Clash.
Although I'm not going to spread all these "cold hard facts" as I would be typing out here all day; I think enough people know Kevin who could vouch for that.

Don't get me wrong - I am not naive. I understand that people (ALL PEOPLE) have many sides to them. I will use Rosie O'Donnell as an example. The public thought she was "the Queen of Nice" and then there were always rumors floating around that she was no saint. ... Then people learned the TRUTH - She is HUMAN. The nice act was not necessarily an act, but she has good days and bad and has a bit of an "Irish Temper" (as she herself put it)

So no, I don't think Kevin is nice all the time -NO ONE IS!

I don't think it is very fair to come on here and reply that you know the truth and then don' t give any examples. :boo:

No one is asking you to type all day! Just 1 or 2 examples would be fine.

MelissaY1

Reaction score
I agree tremendously. Nobody is perfect. There's a dark side to all of us or skeletons in our closet. I've met Kevin Clash several times now, know people who have worked with him, etc. For the most part everyone seems to like him. I'm sure he's not perfect but who is? I'm normally a very kind, friendly person but I have my "dark" side too.
I've met Rosie O'Donnell as well, she was so sweet to me and my mom when we met her last year at an event here in NYC. But she's an Aries so she has very strong personality traits where she can be the nicest, kindest person on earth but in a second can totally turn into a b----. But most of us are like that. Celebrities or people in the public eye, entertainment industry whatever are no different.

rachelfromatlanta said:
Don't get me wrong - I am not naive. I understand that people (ALL PEOPLE) have many sides to them. I will use Rosie O'Donnell as an example. The public thought she was "the Queen of Nice" and then there were always rumors floating around that she was no saint. ... Then people learned the TRUTH - She is HUMAN. The nice act was not necessarily an act, but she has good days and bad and has a bit of an "Irish Temper" (as she herself put it)

So no, I don't think Kevin is nice all the time -NO ONE IS!

I don't think it is very fair to come on here and reply that you know the truth and then don' t give any examples. :boo:

No one is asking you to type all day! Just 1 or 2 examples would be fine.

Giar Fraggle

Reaction score
If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all.

Let's keep the conversation positive--how would you feel if you wandered onto an online forum where people were discussing all of your negative traits?

Reaction score
Giar Fraggle said:
If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all.

Let's keep the conversation positive--how would you feel if you wandered onto an online forum where people were discussing all of your negative traits?
Not sure who this comment is directed to - I was just saying that I am tired of hearing people talking how terrible he is without being able to back it up.

I have done some more searching on here since starting this thread and so far I have seen one comment about him being a jerk because in a 5minute interview promoting HIS book on the Today Show he didn't mention Jim Henson and the Muppets :rolleyes:

Another person was upset because he wasn't all smiles and sunshine during an interview! (Ever watch American Idol?!)

I really truly believe that Kevin is genuine. If I am wrong, I want proof.

For the most part I just wanted to talk about him because the book really touched me. I have heard some of those stories before, but the book was so well written and inspirational (to me) I became even more of a fan of his then I already was. - And it was real. He didn't have to talk about his divorce, but he did. - His deep admiration for Jim was evident too (so anyone who want s to complain that he forgot where he came from can just put a sock in it! :attitude: LOL!)

I am just in the mood where I would like to discuss it. :smile: - No one is obligated to post here.

BEAR

Reaction score
Rachel, I want to first welcome you here, and also I appreciate this thread. I have a respect for Kevin Clash and his work. I agree with all you've said about him.

Reaction score
THANKS BEAR!

I am jumping in here face first! :big_grin:

Is "Bear" like "Bear in the Big Blue House"? If yes: I LOVE that show! I have developed a great amount of admiration for Noel Macneal. (Actually, I think I'm turning into somewhat of a "Puppet Groupie"! :wink: )

BEAR

Reaction score
rachelfromatlanta said:
THANKS BEAR!

I am jumping in here face first! :big_grin:

Is "Bear" like "Bear in the Big Blue House"? If yes: I LOVE that show! I have developed a great amount of admiration for Noel Macneal. (Actually, I think I'm turning into somewhat of a "Puppet Groupie"! :wink: )
Yeah, my user name is based on Bear in the Big Blue House and also it's just a nickname I've been given when I joined the forum. I am also a fan of BITBBH. It's a great show. I don't really watch it that much (I am more a Sesame guy) but I like it. I am sad that the show is coming to an end.