I rescued a kitten, what do I do?

Vic Romano

Reaction score
Today at work, I found three kittens and rescued one. She's really cute and we like her and want to keep her, but we're not sure yet.

We went to Petco and a really nice woman helped get us the right food and stuff and gave us some starter tips. The kitten was a little dehydrated and may have worms.

We have a cat we rescued about three and half years ago, and while their introduction to each other wasn't spectacular, we're to understand it was better then usual when two cats meet like this.

The good news is that if we can't keep her, she has a home with the woman from Petco (who just lost her own cat and is looking to have another). I know we need to keep the kitten away from our cat until we get her checked out, but what's better: bringing her to a vet or the ASPCA? What's normal behavior for a 4-5 week old kitten? (our cat was about 1 or 2 years old when we rescued her) How long should I wait until we bathe her? How do we bathe her? How contagious are diseases among cats (and people)? Is a stray cat like this a serious danger or health risk (our cat was abandoned, this kitten was clearly feral)?

I know there are a few animal lovers here and I thought I'd ask. Thanks everyone, all the info I can get is appreciated. :flirt:

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Well these are the kind of questions a vet would know, if it's not too expensive.

TogetherAgain

Reaction score
I'm completely clueless and I have no idea what to tell you... but I just HAD to say that kitten is ADORABLE! ! !

...Not very helpful, I know. Sah-ree. :halo:

Winslow Leach

Reaction score
Aww...well, if you can't keep her for whatever reason, I would give her to the woman from Petco.:smile:

I would bring her to a vet before anything though...

dwayne1115

Reaction score
I don't know much but i know someone who does, and now they will do the typeing and I'm going to clean in between my toes.

We had a kitten that was very young like yours. The best way to bather the kitten is to take a wet cloth, or wet wipes, and just wipe the kitten, like the mother would do. I don't know about diseases, how contagious they are. I would go to a vet. Our kitty had a lot of fleas, nad we were infested with fleas for a little while.
Good luck,

Vic Romano

Reaction score
Thanks everyone. The good news is that she doesn't appear to have fleas or ticks. The big problem is expenses. I was wondering also if little kittens getting all their vaccinations and stuff are more expensive or less expensive then an adult. Anyone know like a ballpark figure?

Fragglemuppet

Reaction score
Awww, first of all, I want to say congradulations for doing the right thing and rescuing her!
:smile:

Secondly, I don't know about costs at an average vet, but I do know that the ASPCA will provide many basic services such as that for free. Gosh, I hope I'm right about that...
Good luck!

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
Cute kitten! Hope you find out what to do with her!

dwayne1115

Reaction score
i think the prices are all different and you will have to call around.

I think people that would abandon a sweet looking cat like that should be hit in the head. I'm glad however that there are still careing people in this world that will help God's creatures.

redBoobergurl

Reaction score
Dave - she is adorable!

I guess I would go to a vet or something - I have never taken in a kitten that little myself so I don't know how that all works.

I can tell you some stuff about introducing two cats as we recently just finished that process ourselves! Let me know if you need any tips on that!