I Heart the 50s... and Lucy...

D'Snowth

Reaction score
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2mF1exyulpQ

SAH-REE!

But seriously, we've overlooked the 50s! Pretty much the end of the innocence (dun-dun, dun-dun, dun-dun, dun-dun, dun-dun, dun-dun...) but look what came out of the 50s...

1. Really HUGE, yet classy cars.
2. The first popular sitcom: I Love Lucy.
3. Another popular sitcom: Leave it To Beaver.
4. The Hula Hoop, along with Alvin, who wanted one for Christmas.
5. MY MOM!

anytimepally

Reaction score
I have to say, there was never really an innocence to end.. that's just a fairy tale invented by people who prefer a time when we didn't talk about certain things openly

But, I, too, Love Lucy :big_grin:

oh, and my dad was born in the 50s, too, and he's much more awesome than I give him credit for.. I mean, he rides a unicycle :smile:

ryhoyarbie

Reaction score
Let's see, 1950's was marked with the ongoing cold war with the Soviet Union. The United States and other United Nation allies opted to secure Europe and Asia for fear that some of those countries could spiral downwards and become communist countries. Add to the fact that both the US and the Soviet Union were on the verge of a nuclear war, ala World War III. The United States even invented a dumb plan where everyone in the classroom would Drop to the bottom of their seats, Duck, and Roll in the event there was an bomb dropped nearby. But sadly, that kind of strategy of protection would not have done anything. Those kids and teachers would have been fried anyway.

Also add to the tension of communism was the Koran War.

But some good things: Rock N Roll was boring with groups like Bill Haley and the Comments and Elvis. Doo-Wop bands became popular.

And as mentioned before, the birth of the sitcom such with shows like I Love Lucy. The show also marked the first time a female was the lead show and also the first time any show in general would show reruns (due to Lucille Ball giving birth).

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
The United States even invented a dumb plan where everyone in the classroom would Drop to the bottom of their seats, Duck, and Roll in the event there was an bomb dropped nearby. But sadly, that kind of strategy of protection would not have done anything. Those kids and teachers would have been fried anyway.
LOl! Yeah! I mean seriously. What you are you going to do besides get blown to smithereens...

Winslow Leach

Reaction score
Golly gee, the 50s sure were swell! Mom used to vacuum wearing heels and pearls, but I don't know why she even bothered...our house was always spotless!

Good ol' dad used to come home from the office and relax by sitting in his easy chair, reading the evening paper and smoking his hand-carved pipe.

Gee willickers, one time dad's paper got too close to his pipe...or was it his pipe got closer to his paper...golly, I don't remember...but what happened afterward was funnier than Howdy Doody at a woodchuck convention! Dad's paper caught on fire, but he didn't even realize it until half of it was gone! Jiminy Cricket, was that ever funny!

I was such a rebel back then. I would sneak into the kitchen, and drink milk...straight from the bottle! And mom allowed me and my older brother Barney only one cookie each after school. But I would have two without her being none the wiser! I was an evil little dickens.