I have MADE an ASTOUNDING DISCOVERY

Tim Kelly

Reaction score
MeepBorkMeep said:
I don't believe so, Tim Kelly, unless I wasn't listening at that part. But that sounds neat, do you know anything else about the tribute that clip was in?
Unfortunately, my memory is pretty fuzzy. I know it was a Muppets/Jim Henson retrospective-type of special. I'm trying to recall when I saw it broadcast... Maybe 1986? I know it was before Henson died. Then again, maybe it wasn't!

MeepBorkMeep

Reaction score
I know, D'Snowth! I must have seen this tape, like, three times in the last 28 hours. S'awesome, it is.

superboober

Reaction score
If it is what I think it is, (and what I'm thinking of aired one afternoon on Nickelodeon), I recall the characters standing around "Muppet Central" with loads of TV screens around, and we learn about the fancy pupptry work they've done over the years (including detailed synopses on how the Gorgs and Doozers work, plus how they did all the bike riding scenes over the first few films, which was the first time I heard of Brian Henson). For the denoument, they went to bluescreen and pulled back to show the puppeteers working the main characters. Once back in the fantasy world, Fozzie makes an oath never to look down again. Kermit (and I believe Scooter was there as well, which if so would have made it earlier than 1994) do so anyway, see just the floor, and breath huge sighs of relief that it was all just a bad dream that humans were manipulating them (or so they think...)

Sound familiar to anyone?

ReneeLouvier

Reaction score
Wow. As soon as I get some money, I'm gonna get that. XD

I seem to remember watching that show as well. It could have been made in parts before '94, but wasn't shown until then perhaps? That's just my thinking on it.

MeepBorkMeep

Reaction score
No, superboober, don't sound familiar to me, but it does sound /wicked/ awesome. Do you have any idea what it could be called?

And ReneeLouvier, if your still talking about the Great Performances thing, yeah I believe most of it had been made before 94, but I think once Jim died they wanted to make sure it was perfect so it could be used as a tribute. That's just what I think, so don't go by it, but it kind of makes sense I suppose.

MGov

Reaction score
Super Boober, that was an episode of "The Jim Henson Hour" that ran on NBC for a little while. Nickelodeon ran the reruns. I taped it from that.

Muppetsdownunder

Reaction score
This was widely available on video in Australia up until a few years ago. It is available on amazon.com but is a different cover and would ofcourse be ntsc which may not play on Australian vhs players.

Barry Lee

Reaction score
MGov said:
Super Boober, that was an episode of "The Jim Henson Hour" that ran on NBC for a little while. Nickelodeon ran the reruns. I taped it from that.
The episode is "Secret of the Muppets" a wonderful JHH episode. One of the funny moment's is Bean Bunny seeing "Puppeteers!"

I see puppeteers! I see puppeteers! Great funny episode.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I taped the "Secrets of the Muppets" special when it was shown on Nickelodeon's "Muppet Matinee", circa 1993. I wish Nick still had that!

"Secrets of the Muppets" is great for fans interested in behind the scenes stuff (even if some of it is out of date now, like the computer effects). My favorite part is probably the making of the Viking sketch from the Muppet Show. It was also where I saw some of the other main puppeteers for the first time, other than Jim Henson. The special is also avilable for viewing at The Museum of Television and Radio. :wink:

Jim: "Well that's the way it is around here. The fantasy always wins."
Muppets: "Yeah!"