I have a job!

Janice & Mokey's Man

Reaction score
In fact, I just started today! :big_grin:

So, here's the deal:

*shuffles cards*

I went to an agency around here called MANPOWER who helps ya look for work if you need it (like me). So they got me a job with a Verizon phone store in a shoppin' center, which got taken over by AllTel, and the big change-over was today.

For the most part, I'll be sittin' down (YAY!), takin' bill payments. Some people will supposedly be irate, rude, or mean, but I'll just try to sit there and smile and tell myself, "They'll be out of here in a minute", and remember that I'm gettin' paid some nice money to sit there and smile, and they don't get a penny for bein' "icky". Ha!

Okay, so for a few Byrony things in the day:

One time this lady asked me to go get the # of the fax machine off the side of the fax machine in the back.

I looked at the copier.

:embarrassed:

And there this was guy from the other company takin' over who was there with some ladies to help set up changes, and I even said to him in the back, "They want me to get the # off the fax machine..", and I go and look at the freakin' copier---and to top it off, I called the copier a printer when I tried to play it all cool and said, "Whoops, I'm lookin' at the printer," (wrong, it's a C-O-P-I-E-R).

Anyway (nerves and pressure, don'tcha know).

And then at one point in the afternoon Linda asks me to get a phone book for this female customer, and I do, but this male silly creature stops me and asks me a question, so I go up to the customer service counter and discuss it, then as I walk away, Kay goes, "So Byron, how're things goin'?" and I say, "Fine, everything's cool," and then I turn around to see the female customer laughin', holdin' her arms, and still waitin' for her dang phone book---which I still had! So then I said, "Except that this is hers!", and quickly darted over to give it to her, as all the onlookers laughed at my silliness. :embarrassed:

And then I noticed that Emmy and Jackie are in my store!! :eek: "Hello, is this where we pay our muffin bill?" :smile: No no, nothin' like that---ya see, there are these HUGE signs all around the walls with logos and different things like "long distance", "internet", and "DSL" on 'em, and some human peoples in weird poses, and we have 2 of this one that says "local calls" and has a girl on it---a girl with glasses, long brown hair, leanin' over with her hand on her chest, her head thrust back, CLEARLY in the classic "LOL!" position---and there ya have Emmy and Jackie! :big_grin:

The one near the front of the store in the brighter light is Emmy, and the one that lurks in the darker part of the store by the back door is Jackie. LOL! :big_grin:

Oh yeah, and then when we were almost closed, and no customers were inside, I picked up the phone, used the "page" code I overheard earlier, and said in my cheesiest announcer voice (there ya go Nate, lol), "WELCOME TO ALLTEL!" :big_grin: And the women laughed, one came out of the back and said, "That was good!", and another said, "You should do that, like, every hour on the hour!"

So maybe I just will...lol. Nah, but when somebody I know walks in and they're the only ones in there, I have to do that! LOL!

Really!

I do!

:big_grin:

So, that's it. I'm tired, I'm makin' money, I'm around more PEOPLE now (though it's only females so far, grrrrrrr...no, I love 'em, but I'd like to have a couple of guys to work around with and be---well---"guy-y" with. Right now I kinda awkwardly feel like Anthony on "Designing Women").

I think I'll go back tomorrow. :smile:

Crazy Harry

Reaction score
Glad to see you've made yourself usefull to society. I hope to do the same myself one day.

(shoves handfull of Oreos in mouth and goes back to watching Whose Line reruns)

MuppetQuilter

Reaction score
Congrats on the job! Hope you find it enjoyable as well as profitable.

Luke

Reaction score
Congratulations Byron - nice to know they've let you back out into the community !

Janice & Mokey's Man

Reaction score
Oh yeah, and one more Byrony thing I forgot...

At another point, I shoved a chocolate chip granola bar into my mouth (oh my God, granoloa---how Janicey! :big_grin: ), cause, let's face it---I'm Byron, and have to have edible substances on me 24/7, and just when I was chewin' a big ol' hunk and tryin' to shove the last of the bar in my pocket, the freakin' VICE PRESIDENT of the company comes over and introduces himself to me, and sticks out his hand for me to shake.

:embarrassed:

So I quickly SHOVE the rest of the bar in my right pocket as I see him approach, and there he's standin' with his hand prepped for me to shake and I can't get my hand out of my pocket cause it gets stuck in there tryin' to let go of my granola bar after shovin' the last of it down there---not to mention I'm chewin' a big ol' half of it like a cow.

But, I finally got my hand free, swallowed the big ol' piece in my mouth, and smiled and shook his hand like a "normal person" (or as best I could).

Eek! I need to leave for work again in about 20 minutes!

Lord knows what'll happen today...*sigh*...

May the Mupps be with me! :smile:

Cindy

Staff member
Reaction score
Congrats on your new job, Byron! Sounds like a great job so far. See if they can order in some of those Muppet cell phone covers. :smile:

Jackie

Reaction score
LOL!!! Byron! I'm so glad it's working out good for you! It's good to be working with the women because they wanna keep a man around the place! Get it? No competition! LOL!!!

I can't believe you looked at the copier and then called it a printer!!!!! LOL!!! That is soooo Byrony!!! LOL!!!! I laughed so hard but you know, it was your first day and you were nervous. But they love ya there! I can tell. :smile: I hope you make lots and lots of money so you can start spending it again!

Yay Byron!!! (and that poster with me laughing is me watching you, so no slacking off at your job!!! LOL!!)

Joggy

Reaction score
Byron, one quick question about the place you work: don't they have any posters of ANYTHING that looks like me???

:frown:

radionate

Reaction score
Sigh, it certainly has been quite the past 24 hours without Byron hanging around. But he's making money which is good! :big_grin: