I don't wanna grow up...

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
Funny thing is I was going to post a similar thread

(Originally by Tom Waits, but listening to him sing it is like nails on a chalkboard)

TheWeirdoGirl

Reaction score
I know how you feel. I'll be turning seventeen next month, and I don't want to grow up either. But like others have said, you can still be a child at heart no matter what your age is. One of my favorite quotes is, "The secret of genius is to carry the spirit of childhood into maturity."

Teheheman

Reaction score
(Note: The mood of this post differs a lot from my usual postings. It's more of my sentimental/dreamy side)

I'm fifteen now: not too young and not too old. I'm leaving childhood behind, and stepping into adulthood. But somehow, I don't want to grow up. I want to stay a child forever. The carefree days, the pointless but fun games. The childhood innocence. I don't want to lose it. Now I'm stepping into a world of worries, a world of busyness. It'll be such a big change, and I'm afraid.
Yeah, good luck with that. Let me know how that turns out for ya.

Daniel

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
If you need any more proof you don't have to grow up, I'm 44- yes, old enough to be your father- and I don't feel a day over 18. As you get older, you will have more responsibilities, more commitments, more obligations, but by no means do you have to leave your childhood behind.
If you're able to hold on to that childlike innocence, that sense of wonder, a sense of optimism, finding joy in the simple things in life, you may grow older but not up.

At my job there are younger people in their twenties who are already "old". In such a short time they've become cynical, jaded, spiritually dead. Some of them have already turned to drugs or alcohol to accelerate their trip to an early grave. But it doesn't have to be like that.

And yes, way back in the dark ages, back when the Atari 2600 was hi-tech, I was 15 once too. :smile:

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
One more point if I may: there's a HUGE difference between acting childlike and childish. Childlike is the starry-eyed innocence Jim had until the day he died. It's even considered a virtue in the Bible that appeals to God. This is where you hang on and cherish your dreams, keep that spirit in your heart, and as you get older, it will make people admire you even more.

Childish, however, is acting like an immature brat throwing a tantrum because Mommy won't buy that box of cereal. (The earlier you learn that sometimes life stinks, the better off you'll be.) I've seen people older than me acting childish, and it's a pathetic sight.

I know 15 is a hard age, with puberty and adolescence running amok, and you might seem especially vulnerable right now. But I think you'll come out of it just fine. Call it a hunch.

animalrescuer

Reaction score
I'm 22 now, but I also miss the days of my childhood, I know that stress is a pretty big part of life, but sometimes I wish I could live without it. I would love to go back to the days that I didn't have to worry about so much stuff as an adult and only focus on the fun times. But at the same time, I look forward to bigger and better things in life like having a career and possibly getting married someday.

But I also remember Jim's outlook on life, a positive one at that and also be happy with what I've already got.

Vincent L

Reaction score
I'm surprised that so many people can relate to this. I always thought I'm the only one.

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
Dude, everyone goes through the growing up/growing older crisis. I'm still going through it and I'm 20...wait till you get to college. It will be like you are back in kindergarten.

Maybe you should give What's My Age Again by Blink 182 a listen :wink:

dwmckim

Reaction score
As long as you can still enjoy sitting down to some classic Sesame Street, don't ever worry about growing old/up regardless of your calendar age.