I can't believe it....

sarah_yzma

Reaction score
I know this means nothing to most of you, but I need to get it off my chest. I am horribly angry and on the verge of tears at the moment, and I think saying my feelings will help.

Some people might have seen my previous posts about this matter. I am currently president of the last TSA chapter at my school...that's right my school is cutting one of the most important subjects (other than the main ones) technology.

What is society without technology?

Luckily we get to go to nationals, as our last trip. I am forced to raise $800 but I will do anything to be a group, one last time.

The teacher is a good friend of mine. He lives 40 miles away and loves teaching at our school. He was offered a job that was two hours a day (at least that's what I overheard) He is a great man, and has inspired me to do so much.

What should I do to thank this great man who has inspired me?

:cry: Sarah:cry:

foofoocakes

Reaction score
Don't know what TSA is Sarah.
The best thing you can do for your teacher is go out and be succesful and then write him a thank you note and let him know that he was a part of your success. I have a few of those notes and they mean the world to me.

sarah_yzma

Reaction score
sorry...TSA stands for Technology Student Association...

a few classmates and I wrote a poem and slipped it in his gradebook...he didn't say anything but I'm pretty sure he got it.

Sarah

Zack the Dog

Reaction score
Oh Hi Sarah, sorry about the cut backs, stuff like this is happen allover, my younger bro is telling me about the stuff cut back in my old High school now:sympathy:

I think i nice note will mean the world, or maybe make a video or some sort with your friends if ya can.

Zachary,

electricmayhem

Reaction score
Originally posted by Zack the Dog
I think i nice note will mean the world, or maybe make a video or some sort with your friends if ya can.
I'm sorry to hear that Sarah. My senior year, my friends and I who had been in tennis all four years made a video for our coach of all our memories. Then at the end we each video taped ourselves saying our goodbyes and how much fun we'd had, etc. It's a really nice way to be able to incorrporate all the jokes and times you've shared.

ryhoyarbie

Reaction score
you know, i've been hearing that there have been cutbacks on programs that go from the regular schools to the colleges. i've been hearing cutbacks on programs like band, theater, football, and now what you just mentioned sarah. this must be going throughout the country. and it's getting bad here in texas too.

as for what i think you should do, write him a thank you card and tell him how much he met to you as a teacher. teachers love stuff like that because it makes them feel honored and happy to be a teacher no matter what they teach. when i was in highschool, every year we got our band teachers each a gift to show them that we like them and think they're great teachers. and heck they are, cause we got 1st place in the state finals in 4a band and showed that we were the best 4a band in texas.

ryan

leliebel

Reaction score
When I wnet to highschool, they cancelled the anua drama performance... I loved to act when I was little and they took it right away from me. I live in the middle of nowhere somewhere in a rural part of the netherlands so I can't just go out and take a course... There aren't any! I will probably never know if I have talent or not...

I also would love to take a puppetering class of some sort or meet some people that have experians with puppetering (besides you guys ofcourse :smile: ) But until a few days ago I didn't know there was such a thing...

[[[insert american accent here]]] I am sooooooooo moving to a city...

wolfy

Reaction score
Originally posted by ryan...
you know, i've been hearing that there have been cutbacks on programs that go from the regular schools to the colleges. i've been hearing cutbacks on programs like band, theater, football, and now what you just mentioned sarah. this must be going throughout the country. and it's getting bad here in texas too.
Actually, these kinds of cutbacks have been going on for a number of years.

There has been no art, music or drama programs in our area for the junior high school students, and they have almost completely phased them out in our high schools.

The administrations are trying their best to cut these in the elementry schools as well. The children, right now, get an art teacher once a week for six weeks sometime during the school year, and a music teacher comes in and teaches the children songs once a week for six weeks another time during the year.

The schools keep saying they can't afford it, but when they have fund-raisers for 5.2 million dollars for a new tennis court (we don't even have a tennis team!) for the high school, and are always doing car washes and giving money to the football, baseball and basketball teams and telling the drama classes and music classes of the high school that they have to raise their own money for costumes, sets, scripts and equipments (including lights and sound equipment), I think something is definitely wrong somewhere...

As for what you can do for your teacher, Sara, my husband (a former science/math/computer teacher) said that if you and your friends can get a Certificate of Appreciation made up (or make one up yourselves) and have it signed by everyone and framed, it will be something that he can place in his office or at home and show to everyone. He could put it with all his other awards and certificates, and it is something that he will really like.

Also, my hubby said that if you could all give him something like the video or a photo album with a photo of each one of you and a little typed up card or something like that with the photo in the album saying "Thanks" in each person's own way...well, that along with the Certificate of Appreciation would probably make his whole year...

Are you and the class going to have to raise the $800 soon? I wish you the best...I know how hard it is to raise money for an organization or club that the rest of the school doesn't really understand or know much about because it's not "sports related."

Best of luck to you and your friends, Sara...and to your teacher, as well. I hope he realizes how much you and your friends were inspired by him...
wolfy

sarah_yzma

Reaction score
Originally posted by wolfy
I know how hard it is to raise money for an organization or club that the rest of the school doesn't really understand or know much about because it's not "sports related."

you are exactly right! our school has a HUGE wrestling program....

yeah when i'm changing a light bulb i'm not saying man i'm glad i took wrestling so i can put someone in a headlock if they come up behind me...i'm saying i'm darn glad i have a basic knowledge of electricity that I got from technology..

our school got new football uniforms this year......we however, cannot afford new math textbooks:rolleyes:

and our administrators...*cough* couldn't we cut a few of them..i mean three guys are running the high school...last time I checked it only took one....

of course i live in one of the most politically corrupt states....so ya know.....idiots live here

Sarah

Super Scooter

Reaction score
Gee, I'm sorry to hear all this, Sarah. I know how much you like all of that.

I'd have to agree with everyone else. A nice, heartfelt letter would be really nice, and, maybe even a small gift (just shootin' out ideas here). Just something that'd show your apreciation for him. I'm sure he'd be glad to hear from you.