Humans and Muppets with good chemistry

BEAR

Reaction score
superfan said:
Linda and Barkley

Yes, Linda and Barkley certainly. Also Linda and Big Bird. Have Linda and Oscar ever interacted much? That would be interesting to see.

Also, it kind of seemed like Olivia and the Count got along great! Just the way they do that jive talk to each other sometimes, like in Follow That Bird. Cracks me up!
Olivia: Yo, Count baby, what's happenin'?!
Count: Five jive!

Also, how about Cookie Monster and Gordon. They had great chemistry in both Follow That Bird and Christmas Eve on Sesame Street. They should be together more often.

mikebennidict

Reaction score
BEAR said:
When was this? I would love to read the article. It is true though. I think part of it is due to the fact that she basically grew up on the show. She practically still a kid when she began and now she is in her mid 50s. She is the Sesame Sweetheart. Everyone loves Maria. It kind of seems like she really took off when she joined the cast. Maria started to become more and more central then Susan or Bob. I wonder why Maria wasn't really used for Elmopalooza. I was surprised she wasn't part of that. The human cast for that special was Bob, Susan, Gordon, Gina and Mr. Hanford. Kind of a weird mix if you ask me.
Manzano wasn't a kid when she joined. she was 21 at the time.

BEAR

Reaction score
mikebennidict said:
Manzano wasn't a kid when she joined. she was 21 at the time.
Yes, I know she was 21. That is why I said she was "practically still a kid". 21 is very young. She was still just a kid. I'm sorry, I guess if she were a couple years younger she would be a "kid". FOrgive me, Mike. I think you still got what I was saying.

DerekJ

Reaction score
D'Snowth said:
It seems like any muppet tends to have great chemistry with Maria, especially Oscar. Maybe that's why TV Guide named her "Sesame's Sweetheart".
Maria not only had her greatest chemistry as Oscar's foil, when Manzano started writing for the show in the 80's, she may have contributed some great Maria&Oscar sketches:

Favorite is the one where Oscar wants Maria to try out his new "Grouch restaurant", and keeps serving real gourmet dishes, while Maria grows more paranoid waiting for the "catch":
Oscar: "And next, potatoes au gratin--"
Maria: "Wait, did he say 'rotten potatoes'??"
(The catch, of course, being that, as an added bonus, all customers get a free shower while eating... :grouchy: )

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
BEAR said:
You are right. I have noticed some as well. I agree with you about Gina and Telly, especially after seeing the hurricane episodes. She is a great "big sister" figure on the show just like how Maria was in the earlier years.

Big Bird seems to have good chemistry with just about everyone. Of course his strongest bonds were with Mr. Hooper, Maria and Gordon. Oscar does too, more notably with Maria and Bob. I think those two were his favorite people to annoy.

Alan seems to get along great with Baby Bear. Baby Bear seems to hang out around Hooper's Store a lot. I think he works well with Telly and Elmo too.

Gordon works with Elmo, Telly and Big Bird very well.

Interesting topic. Hmmm...I'll try to think of more examples.
Oscar seems to like to annoy Gordon quite a bit too, he always calling him baldy and spraying his with Fuffy or flinging pies in is face or something like that.

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
I think that Gina and Big bird have good Chemistry together.

BEAR

Reaction score
Ilikemuppets said:
Oscar seems to like to annoy Gordon quite a bit too, he always calling him baldy and spraying his with Fuffy or flinging pies in is face or something like that.

Yeah, it kind of seems like Gordon, Bob and Maria were the ones always to fall prey to the Muppet's shinanigans, mainly Oscar. Susan and Linda not so much. Susan seemed to avoid such things from what I've seen.

Censored

Reaction score
DerekJ said:
Maria not only had her greatest chemistry as Oscar's foil, when Manzano started writing for the show in the 80's, she may have contributed some great Maria&Oscar sketches:

Favorite is the one where Oscar wants Maria to try out his new "Grouch restaurant", and keeps serving real gourmet dishes, while Maria grows more paranoid waiting for the "catch":
Oscar: "And next, potatoes au gratin--"
Maria: "Wait, did he say 'rotten potatoes'??"
(The catch, of course, being that, as an added bonus, all customers get a free shower while eating... :grouchy: )

In Follow That Bird, Oscar brought Maria to some kind of grouchy diner too.

Ziffel

Reaction score
Yes Big Bird and Mr. Hooper were fun to see together, as was mentioned. I always liked the chemistry between Big Bird and Gordon as well. Also, I liked Bob with Oscar. Oscar would call him "bright eyes" a lot. I remember one time Bob said, "Hi Oscar, what's up?" And Oscar said with irritation and sarcasm, "What's up, the sky is up!" And Bob said, "Oh Oscar!" in an annoyed way that was real funny. I also liked Bob with Kermit (that one clip that lasted a long time where Bob shows Kermit a real frog was one of my favorites. I love the part where the frog is croaking and Kermit laughs and says, "That's a good one." Bob says, "What are you laughing at, Kermit?" Kermit says, "This frog is telling jokes!" Bob says, "Telling jokes? C'mon you don't mean to tell me you can understand what he's saying do you?" Kermit says proudly, "Why certainly, I'm a frog aren't I?" :smile: )

BEAR

Reaction score
Ziffel said:
Yes Big Bird and Mr. Hooper were fun to see together, as was mentioned. I always liked the chemistry between Big Bird and Gordon as well. Also, I liked Bob with Oscar. Oscar would call him "bright eyes" a lot. I remember one time Bob said, "Hi Oscar, what's up?" And Oscar said with irritation and sarcasm, "What's up, the sky is up!" And Bob said, "Oh Oscar!" in an annoyed way that was real funny. I also liked Bob with Kermit (that one clip that lasted a long time where Bob shows Kermit a real frog was one of my favorites. I love the part where the frog is croaking and Kermit laughs and says, "That's a good one." Bob says, "What are you laughing at, Kermit?" Kermit says, "This frog is telling jokes!" Bob says, "Telling jokes? C'mon you don't mean to tell me you can understand what he's saying do you?" Kermit says proudly, "Why certainly, I'm a frog aren't I?" :smile: )

I guess there was a blooper while filming that scene where the frog actually goes to the bathroom on Bob or something like that. Pretty funny.