Hugga Wugga or Sclrap Flyapp?

SeanC

Reaction score
Which do people prefer? :smile:

I saw Sclrap Flyapp on the 'Muppets Magic' DVD ( which is a fantastic disc btw ) and Hugga Wugga when I picked up TMS season one set. While I like both, I have to say I prefer Hugga Wugga, mainly because the muppets used are nicer and the performance seems a little more polished. I particularly like the Hugga Wugga's crazy, expressive eyes and the bird-type creature that pops up now and then. That said, the illuminated eyes used in Sclrap Flyapp were pretty effective too.

On a similar note, I also love 'Java' - both the version on 'Muppets Magic' and TMS.

CountFan1998

Reaction score
EEEEEKKKK! The EYES! The EYES! The downright SCARIEST part of Hugga Wugga were the huge CREEPY eyes mixed with the belting out of HUGGA-WUGGA. But, he does get revenge (BOOM! You are my sunshine, my only sunshine...).
P.S. Java was hilarious, especially the finale, which was the only funny part -to me at least....

The CountFan has RETURNED!

SeanC

Reaction score
EEEEEKKKK! The EYES! The EYES! The downright SCARIEST part of Hugga Wugga were the huge CREEPY eyes mixed with the belting out of HUGGA-WUGGA.
Heh heh.... Well, I was 30 before I saw it, but I guess if I was a kid my blood would have frozen solid :smile:
It's actually the expressive eyes I love - the way then go up and down to show the Hugga Wugga's anger or surprise. There's really some fantastic puppetry going on there.
As for Java, the end is hilarious, yeah. But I like the whole thing, mainly because I love the tune.

dmoss

Reaction score
It's funny that in Hugga Wugga, Frank could have easily gone without the synthesizer helping his voice...you can barely tell it's there! The man's got talent. :big_grin:

SeanC

Reaction score
It's funny that in Hugga Wugga, Frank could have easily gone without the synthesizer helping his voice...you can barely tell it's there! The man's got talent. :big_grin:
You know, I've watched that several times but I never even noticed there was a synthesizer involved! I just thought it was 100% natural vocals. :smile:

rexcrk

Reaction score
Oh definitely Hugga Wugga.

It's been a favorite of mine since I was a little kid and saw it on some Muppet video tape lol.

HeyButtahfly

Reaction score
Hugga Wugga-- especially the "You Are My Sunshine" part. But it probably helps that I don't remember having seen it as a child so it's never really creeped me out.

ploobis

Reaction score
As for me, They're both Muppet Classics!

Sclrap Flyapp started in the 1960's and Hugga Wugga in the 1970's.

I love seeing how Sclrapp Flyapp evolved into Hugga Wugga. I loved the Hugga Wugga song when I was a kid and I first saw Sclrap Flyapp on TV when TV Land use to re-run episodes of The Ed Sullivan Show at 5:30 in the morning.

I still remember that time. I was in 7'th grade and on school nights I would get up before 5:30 am to wait and see if a Muppet sketch would show on an Ed Sullivan re-run so I could tape it. And if a Muppet sketch wasn't gonna show I would go back to bed.

Anyway, So when I first saw Sclrapp Flyapp I was amazed at how it reminded me of Hugga Wugga!

I also really love the jazzy music in Sclrapp Flyapp. And I love Hugga Wugga for a lot of reasons. Jim Henson wrote The Hugga Wugga Song (Not you are my sunshine). Frank Oz, Jerry Nelson and John Lovelady did a great job preforming that sketch and again it's a Muppet Classic!

SeanC

Reaction score
I love seeing how Sclrapp Flyapp evolved into Hugga Wugga. I loved the Hugga Wugga song when I was a kid and I first saw Sclrap Flyapp on TV when TV Land use to re-run episodes of The Ed Sullivan Show at 5:30 in the morning.
They never showed The Ed Sullivan Show here in Ireland, so I didn't see any of that stuff until the 'Muppets Magic' DVD was released a few years back. Have to say, all that material from the 60s was fantastic. Loved every minute of it... even 'The Glutton', which was ever so slightly disturbing :smile:

CountFan1998

Reaction score
What synthesizer? And again I know, I know, the Hugga Wugga Song is NOT You Are my Sunshine, if that was meant for me. How did the Hugga Song go again? I'm not going to EVER see Hugga again, and I'm glad about it! Maybe later though...

To be or not to be, that is the question- Shakespeare- Hamlet