How well does the new movie have to do?

Luke

Reaction score
For it to have been booked onto every show and be everywhere, and with the general hype thats going around, id say theres no chance this won't do brilliantly. They managed to create the buzz and thats half the job. I think we are talking TV shows now AS WELL as movies. I think the only thing to hope for is they just continue to manage the brand well and dont over saturate them because obviously when you see things all the time (other than during the movie weekend obviously) people end up getting bored with it. TV needs the Muppets right now, people are bored with the same old reality stuff and variety seems to be making a comeback again so they are in the right place at the right time most definitely.

Beauregard

Reaction score
I agree about over-saturation, people can turn very quickly in their opinion on these things. Right now, its charming and wonderful to see them everywhere we turn. Disney needs to maintain quality writing, quality performances, interest and the uniqueness. Keep it fresh and interesting. Well, they certainly have a big enough cast for that to happen...

ryhoyarbie

Reaction score
It probably has to do about 70 million in order to make an okay profit, 100 million or more to be a hit. This movie costs 50 million to make (why it costs that much is beyond me), and probably has 10 million in advertising from all the ads on tv.

However, I will be seeing the first showing today and see if the movie gets a thumbs up or thumbs down (going with thumbs up here already). Plus the Dallas Morning News (city newspaper where I live) gave it an A- and the movie critic/writer was a fan of the Muppets and watched the original Muppet Show back in the day. So I'm going into the movie with high expectations.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I'd say it has to place pretty well (like at least in the top 3) on opening weekend, and do just as well second weekend. And I've been saying that it bugs me that every kid's movie in the world is opening up in the same 2 weekend period. None of them look that good, and I'm pretty sure the 3-D noise of all 3 of them will turn people off (everyone's sick of 3-D by now, I'm sure... especially with kid's movies). But considering one's a Christmas movie, that may be a tough task... cuz people love idiotic Christmas movies... though in recent years they've seem to have slid.

And then there's always the DVD. That's where it usually makes its big money.

Puckrox

Reaction score
Well. I'm gonna be seeing it four times in the next three days (plans have all been made). Anything to help the Muppets make #1 for this weekend. :smile:

Frogpuppeteer

Reaction score
ive seen it 3 times so far so they have 20 out of me( paid for 2) and planning another 4 this weekend...ill have this movie memorized by sunday

12Medbe

Reaction score
Just drove past my town's theater, let me just note that it's never usually busy, sometimes its like a ghost town. But let me tell ya, when I drove past there, never before have I seen it so... BUSY! The entire parking lot was jampacked with cars!

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Have the current box office sales been posted anywhere yet? Is that common/uncommon for box office results to be posted on opening day?

themole

Reaction score
Have the current box office sales been posted anywhere yet? Is that common/uncommon for box office results to be posted on opening day?
Very rarely do they announce opening day figures.

Got to see the movie tonight and my whole party loved it. I'd give it an easy B+, possibly A- after a rewatch.

For those complaining about things being in the book or other media that didn't end up in the movie... well yeah. That's what happens. Looks at Anchorman, they created so much material that they were able to create a whole new movie out of the left over material! Things gets cut due to pacing, joke landing, and yes, time. I bet things were cut after the first test screening. Sure, Tex Richman and his lack of laughter got cut (and not knowing about this till after seeing the movie, it makes sense more) but who can complain about more Muppet movie time? Adding more Tex backstory would make the conversation unnecessarily complex beyond what it needs to be.