How to start making puppets?

Pork

Reaction score
and about making the arms....long and movable is what I'm looking for right?

Super Scooter

Reaction score
Long and movable if you want long and movable. Whatever fits the character.

As for the head, there's still a bit you can do to make the mouth easier to move, I'm sure. If you can, figure out what's causing it to be so stiff. It'd help to try and explain how you can fix it.

Pork

Reaction score
I think the foam is a bit thick...and it doesn't squish easily. Also I have a question about attaching arm rods to the puppets arms...how can I get them to stay on...is hot glue alright? I do want it to be permanent.

Super Scooter

Reaction score
Pork said:
I think the foam is a bit thick...and it doesn't squish easily. Also I have a question about attaching arm rods to the puppets arms...how can I get them to stay on...is hot glue alright? I do want it to be permanent.
You could try cutting it in places to make it move better. It's kind of a crude solution, I suppose, but it's worked for me.

Pork

Reaction score
thanks for that...also...what would I use to make the rods? wire? if so what thickness is best?

wes

Reaction score
I use steel rods that you can get from lowes or home depot, you can fin it near the angle iron, you want some thing small but strong enough to hold the weight of the hand.

spcglider

Reaction score
I'm sure it's been said here, but when i start a new puppet, the first thing I do is about three or four drawings of the character. they don't have to be GOOD drawings. its just an exercise to help envision the character before I start building and cutting up expensive materials!

You'd be amazed at what simply sketching out an idea can do for you. It really helps to start the building process in your head. It also helps to understand the geometry of the character's body. A long thin tubular body is a whole different affair than a round, bulbous body... so that gets you started thinking about HOW you're going to actually build the structure.

Being familiar with hand-stitching and machine stitching and the relative merits of both is another first step.

Getting familiar with foam, hot glue, fleece, etc. is another step.

I know how frustrating it is to have somebdy tell you that the way to do what you want to do is to start someplace else, but the puppet building thing is a process. Most people can't just pick up in the middle of that process without getting hoplessly turned around. Some can, but vey few.

-Gordon

wes

Reaction score
spcglider, Good point!!

I sometimes forget that everyone else may have not built puppets before and jump right in. There dose need to be basics

Drawings are important and you need to have a basic idea. I love drawing puppet even as a small child I would draw puppets. I now use legal pads to sketch on and to jot down ideas for puppets.