How to start making puppets?

BarbarianJ

Reaction score
Thanks for that already, Buck-Beaver ... I checked on those titles and they weren't the one I'm looking for.
By the way, you're right, it wasn't Jim Henson who actually wrote the book. Somebody else wrote it, but since he (or she) basically wrote about Henson's work, got granted an inside look into the muppeteering secrets and even got some counsel from Mr. Henson himself, he was quoted as co-author.
The only additional thing I know is that it's fairly old book, printed in black and white ... I know, it ain't much to go by ... :boo:

I'm gonna check out those on-line resources you mentioned, though ... thanks ... :smile:

Gooch

Reaction score
hi people. well, the reason im here is because id like to build pepe (ok) he rocks and i have yet to find a good pepe puppet. (or any pepe puppet for that matter.) I guess im asking, Where do i start?
What do i use and what is the best way to make the mouth move? being a mechanic im good at making things move but i usually have a manual (ok).
anyway any help u guys can offer will be greatly appreciated.

BarbarianJ

Reaction score
I think I have it ... I guess I was looking for Puppet Mania!: The World's Most Incredible Puppet Making Book Ever! by John E. Kennedy. Anybody know this book? Is it any good?

And (of course) you were right, Buck-Beaver ... Jim Henson wasn't co-author to this book; John Kennedy has worked for the Henson Company for ten years. That was probably the reference about the "inside information" I remembered. Thanks for your help again, though ... :wink:

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
Puppet Mania is a good book, but it's kind of a "puppet craft" book. There are good techniques in it though. John's second book is "Puppet Planet" and gets in to more advanced techniques.

BarbarianJ

Reaction score
Are those the "original" pieces or is this a fan project? They look great anyway ...

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
They are a reproduction, but by a professional. The creator works on the Master Replicas Muppet line I believe.