How to Make Sesame Street Martian (Yip Yips!) Halloween Costumes

Reaction score
Hellooooo ev'reeeebodeeeee!

I just published instructions on how to make Sesame Street Martian Halloween costumes. Here they are!

It took my friend and I about 5 hours to make two. One for her and one for me. Plus the time we needed to buy supplies at Jo-Ann Fabrics. So you still have time to make these before Halloween. Happy sewing!

GonzoLeaper

Reaction score
Whoa! Those are some awesome Yip-Yip alien costumes! Cool!:smile:

Ruahnna

Reaction score
Totally cool, Soo!-per Grover! What an inventive and delightful costume idea! Here's a hint for anyone making this or a similar costumer IF it's helpful. If you make a costume like this where your face is not visible, you can use screen like you buy at the hardware store for the mouth or face of the character. You can see through it easily.

I used screen for the "face" of a human flower and a human butterfly and used it to make the mouth on a monster costume that was very similar in shape to this one. I could see perfectly fine through the "mouth" of that monster. In both cases, I bought black small-holed screen and used it black, but it can be painted other colors, also. You could also use this sort of screen in eyeballs--the main thing to consider is whether your eyes will be behind the part that you make out of screen. What's especially fun about it is that most folks won't be able to tell how you are walking around "seeing" without any visible eyes.