How The Muppet Movie paved the way for the Marvel Cinematic Universe

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
I wanted to share this post I just did on my blog about the role the Muppet Movie - and the Muppets in general - played in popularizing all those end credit scenes and post-credit scenes that we see all the time now in movies like The Avengers or Captain America: The Winter Soldier.

http://puppetvisionmovie.com/2014/04/how-the-muppets-revolutionized-movie-credits/

Before the Muppets, movie credits were a lot less fun!

Drtooth

Reaction score
More movies need post credit bits if you ask me. Especially animated family films. Some do, but it would have been something if Peabody and Sherman ended with something... besides classic drawings of Peabody and Sherman walking into the WABAC.

Though I will say, The Muppets put too much story into their end credits... it was refreshing to see Sweetums and Fozzie play with them in MMW. Playing with credits is just as fun as a stinger at the end... I LOVED the Minions blowing bubbles around the credits of Despicable Me 2. It was essentially the reason the film should have been seen in 3-D.

Actually, after seeing Captain America 2, I saw all these film goers leaving the theater as soon as the credits started and almost yell out... "HEY! What do you think you're doing? We know the score by now... there's more film." And they missed both the mid credits and post credits sequences.

Actually, one last anecdote... I remember seeing the first Scooby-Doo movie theatrically, and they had a post credits (or during credits) bit that the projectionist stopped showing! That sucked.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
That article lists Back to the Future among the '80s movies with a special credits or post-credits sequence, but none of the Back to the Future movies have special end credits at all.

DannyRWW

Reaction score
Post credits on the Marvel films are usually teasers for one of the upcoming films, but the one that surprised me the most was Thor: The Dark World, because if you do not stick around until the very end you miss out on really the resolution to the whole movie. Its one thing to make people wait until the end for a teaser of some sort, but to wait until the end to see this major plot point was a surprise. Obviously still leading into the next film, but I'm a romantic at heart so I was surprised they made us wait until the end to see this.