How tall is the average muppet?

renegade

Reaction score
Does anyone know how tall muppets are ?
let's take scooter for example
I see Lab rat made his last puppet 17 inches .top of the head to the base of the body ,is that a average size
thanks for your help
nate

muppetperson

Reaction score
Kermit is 24 inches and Fozzie and Miss Piggy are around 36 inches.

muppetperson

Reaction score
renegade said:
Does anyone know how tall muppets are ?
let's take scooter for example
I see Lab rat made his last puppet 17 inches .top of the head to the base of the body ,is that a average size
thanks for your help
nate
I just noticed the measurement doesnt include legs, so therefore the 17 inch puppet would be bigger than Kermit.When you look at a group photo,most of the other characters are a bit bigger than Kermit, so I suppose it would be a rough Muppet size average.

Melonpool

Reaction score
Kermit's head is the size of Jim Henson's hand. The wrist hits right around the collar. His elbow hits right around the base of the body (the asparagus-sy parts).

Jim Henson was over six feet tall. If we could get an exact height, you could measure the arm of someone realively the same height as Jim and come up with Kermit's measurements. Based on that, you could pretty much figure out the other Muppet's sizes.

Steve

Lab Rat

Reaction score
I'd imagine legs would normally double the length of the puppet so my e-bay one would be 34 inches if he had legs.

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
Reading this I was wondering what size everyone here makes their puppets and why?

Phantom

Reaction score
Buck,
My puppets usually fall in the 15-25" (half-body) category. I've made bigger and smaller, but this size is just about right for what I do with them. *wink, wink, nudge, nudge* Seriously, in developing patterns for myself this is just the size they worked out to be.

I, too, am curious. Thanks for asking.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Without measuring, I can safely say my puppet (who also has built-on legs) is tall enough to only have the tip of his horns touch the door knob if he was standing right beneath it.

Puppetplanet

Reaction score
Mine tend to run about 22 - 24 inches (including hair on most). I make them that size because they can wear most items from the children's department in size 3/4 and I don't have to custom make clothing as often.

Okay, yeah.... I'm either very smart or just plain lazy. :embarrassed:

-Michele

PS: Thats without legs. But you can bet that my vent puppets can wear pants from the children's department too. :wink:

muppetperson

Reaction score
I suppose size of puppets depends on 2 main categories-what sort of character it is(like the Muppet builders do,frogs and rats small,Pigs and Bears larger scale and Giants huge!!) and also how the puppet is to be used.For example, if it is theatre puppetry, the puppets have to be large enough so they can be seen from a distance.If they are for television, the size isnt important as the camera zooms in.