How rare is a Super 8 version of TMM?

panmanthe2nd

Reaction score
Hi :smile:

A second hand shop near me is selling a 'Super 8' of 'The Muppet Movie' for £35.

How rare is it?

On Muppet Wikia it says "UK Super 8 home movie film release. Running time: unknown. Contains significant number of shots and alternative aduio tracks that didn't make it into the final movie".

Does that mean it has clips that aren't on the DVD?

Thank you.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Wish I knew. Heck, at that price I'd nab it up if I had the funds. It would be nice to watch the film on film in one's home. I vote to get it! :smile:

GonzoLover85

Reaction score
I'm with Jamie on this one.
Pick it up and even if it doesn't have any extra footage. How many people can say they have a Super 8 version of the film?
Actually, if you don't want it for yourself. Would you be willing to pick it up anyway and ship it to Canada? Obviously I'd pay for it and shipping.

panmanthe2nd

Reaction score
Thanks frogboy4 and GonzoLover85! I'll try and get it. :smile:

I might keep it, or I might send it to you, GonzoLover85.

MuppetDanny

Reaction score
There is indeed deleted footage in this super 8 verison and on UK PAL VHS.

In the super 8 version lasts about 18 mins long cut down from feature length and it features some deleted stuff mostly alternative audio tracks, an extra verse of "I Hope That Something Better Comes Along" can be seen. It also has a close up shot of Elliott Gould which far as I know has never been seen on any video format again.

On VHS (either from Virgin or Place Video) lasted a few minutes longer than in America print which has some of the extra scenes included a slightly longer comedy club performance from Fozzie including a longer dance number with Kermit, a short opening and closing speech from Doc Hopper on his French Fried Frogs Legs commercial, a longer conversation between Doc Hopper and Max before they encountered Kermit and Fozzie in the rainbow-painted Studebaker, Dr. Teeth gives a more in-depth reading from the script, and an extra verse of "I Hope That Something Better Comes Along." Also in this version of the film, the Muppets' conversations during the end credits can be heard more clearly over a quieter, and different closing theme.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Doesn't anyone know anything about this?
I think the major problem is if you want to really know the actual value of the Super 8 print, you'd need to talk to some film appraiser or something like that.

But hey, anything on actual film is pretty rare to begin with. It's not something you can stumble upon so easily, even with the internet. Not many people would have had access to something like that. And if it indeed has lost footage, then it should be sent directly to Disney after someone buys it to release a super Special edition of TMM.

panmanthe2nd

Reaction score
There is indeed deleted footage in this super 8 verison and on UK PAL VHS.

In the super 8 version lasts about 18 mins long cut down from feature length.
The Super 8 version is only 18 mins long?

panmanthe2nd

Reaction score
I went to the second hand shop today to buy it, but it was closed. The sign on the door said it is reopening September 13th. I'll go back then.