How does Matt Vogel perform Big Bird?

jeffkjoe

Reaction score
Today on Journey to Ernie, I saw Matt Vogel's Big Bird move with his beak and BOTH arms in motion.

Now, unless he has three hands, how does he make Big Bird's mouth move with both wings flapping at the same time? For the record, Big Bird was full on camera doing a dance to the tune of "One of These Things."

What, is the beak on remote control by someone off camera?

muppet_dk

Reaction score
jeffkjoe said:
Today on Journey to Ernie, I saw Matt Vogel's Big Bird move with his beak and BOTH arms in motion.

Now, unless he has three hands, how does he make Big Bird's mouth move with both wings flapping at the same time? For the record, Big Bird was full on camera doing a dance to the tune of "One of These Things."

What, is the beak on remote control by someone off camera?
SInce JTE is recorded on blue screen it just take one extra puppeteer to dress in blue and stand behind big bird to operate the other hand.

jeffkjoe

Reaction score
muppet_dk said:
SInce JTE is recorded on blue screen it just take one extra puppeteer to dress in blue and stand behind big bird to operate the other hand.

But Big Bird is full on-camera dancing from left to right. You can see the full costume from head to toe.

So, unless they put a hole in the back of Big Bird's costume, then that's the only viable solution.

T

timrikthegorf

jeffkjoe said:
But Big Bird is full on-camera dancing from left to right. You can see the full costume from head to toe.

So, unless they put a hole in the back of Big Bird's costume, then that's the only viable solution.
That is how they do it. They also switch back and forth between two live hands and one.

lowercasegods

Reaction score
I haven't seen these particular Big Bird bits, but I know that in the old days, there was a thin cord (probably a strand of Henson Stitch) attached to Big Bird's left hand (which had Spinney's own hand in it), which was run through one side of Big Bird's chest and out the other and attached to the remaining hand, so when the one hand was moved the other would do the same. If it's a matter of articulartion of fingers or grasping at object though, then I'd guess it would have to be done with blue screen and a second puppeteer.

jeffkjoe

Reaction score
Yeah, I knew about the hidden filament cord that moves Big's "immobile" wing, but sometimes Matt Vogel has got BOTH hands doing something physical while his beak's moving at full speed.

froggiegirl18

Reaction score
wait!! Who is Matt Vogel? I thought Spinney was still performing? Wow how did I miss this..

T

timrikthegorf

Matt plays Big Bid for the Journey to Ernie part of the show. Once in awhile he'll show up on the street set too, but not normally. For the street segments Mr. Spinney plays Big Bird. Matt is also suppose to be the alternate for Oscar, but I don't know when he played Oscar on the show.