How did Don Sahlin die?

BoyRaisin2

Reaction score
One of the early geniuses of the Muppets was puppet-maker Don Sahlin, who died suddenly in 1978. Does anyone have any idea how he died? I read "Jim Henson: The Works" and sometimes get curious about how he passed.

FISH'N'WOLFE

Reaction score
BoyRaisin2 said:
One of the early geniuses of the Muppets was puppet-maker Don Sahlin, who died suddenly in 1978. Does anyone have any idea how he died? I read "Jim Henson: The Works" and sometimes get curious about how he passed.
I believe it was a heart attack, but I can't confirm that for sure. Hopefully someone can either confirm this or if that's not correct, say what happened.

FISH'N'WOLFE

Reaction score
I just found out it was a heart attack on Caskets On Parade: http://www.msu.edu/~daggy/cop/ here's the info-

Muppet/puppet-builder (1962-78) *Donald G. Sahlin
Born on 6-19-1928
Expired 2-20-1978 in New York, New York***age 49***cause: heart attack

BoyRaisin2

Reaction score
Thank you.

If it wasn't for Don Sahlin and his contribution to the Muppets, who knows what they'd be like, or look like, today.

FISH'N'WOLFE

Reaction score
Glad to be of help. I had actually been wondering myself how he had passed away, I had heard it was a heart attack but nothing that really confirmed anything. But you're right, he was a key figure in how the Muppets looked and really shaped what they became. He and Jim really worked well together in the design and creation process.

leliebel

Reaction score
FISH'N'WOLFE said:
I just found out it was a heart attack on Caskets On Parade: http://www.msu.edu/~daggy/cop/ here's the info-

Muppet/puppet-builder (1962-78) *Donald G. Sahlin
Born on 6-19-1928
Expired 2-20-1978 in New York, New York***age 49***cause: heart attack

that has got tto be teh creepiest site I've ever seen :embarrassed:

Beebers

Reaction score
LOL I absolutely love it, but then, Halloween is my favorite holiday, and I intend to settle permanently in Salem, Massachusetts someday. It's a tremendous source of accurate information though. Also Find A Grave is good.

(Salem was zee home of zee "witch" trials and is now a veryvery cool place to be.)

:cool:

JaniceFerSure

Reaction score
Don Sahlin

RIP Don Sahlin.You helped to create some memorable puppet characters.And the Casket on Parade site<way cool>,'Guess its just my morbid personality.'-Sal Mineo(Plato),Rebel Without a Cause.I love Halloween too,my favorite holiday(my mom was buried Halloween morning,1999)always has been.Rest in Peace Don,God Bless You. :cry:

Grandpa

Reaction score
Don Sahlins Death

Don was discovered in his apartment on a Monday
afternoon following repeated calls form his brother (me).
I finally called the building super, asked him to check his apartment and they found him dead. Iwent to NY immediately and identified Don. He was removed and taken to the M.E. for autopsy. The only condition noted on the death certificate was "fatty liver". There was no mention of any heart condition. His apartment was a shambles and together with missing valuables and credit cards led me to suspect foul play, but that was never confirmed. The Hensons were in England at the time. They flew home to attend Dons funeral. They were very kind to our parents. The funeral service was very somber and I always regret not letting some essence of the Muppet aura
enter into the situation. Don seemed to be the only one who broke loose from the stern Scandinavian/New England
reserve.