How about Snuffy?

MIKEB97

Reaction score
Hey gang,

I was wondering. How did Mr. Snuffleupagus come about in 1971? Was Snuffy Jim Henson's creation and did he pursuade Jerry Nelson to perform him? Didn't Richard Hunt inherit the role in 1977?

Jeffrey Gray

Reaction score
Richard Hunt never performed Mr. Snuffleupagus. Jerry Nelson performed Snuffy's front half and voice from 1971-77 (leaving because of the fact that he felt uncomfortable having to operate Snuffy, combined with the fact that he was too busy taping The Muppet Show in London to come to New York and perform Snuffy any time he was needed in an episode). Jerry's replacement was Michael Earl Davis, who performed him starting in 1977, and until about 1980 or 1981, when Martin P. Robinson joined the Henson company (and soon took over the part of Snuffy).

ssetta

Reaction score
Michael Earl Davis?? I don't think I've ever heard of him! What else did he do?

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score

I never heard of Michael Earl Davis either, but that's probably who performed him in Christmas Eve on Sesame Street even though he didn't receive credit. Maybe I'll check the Internet Movie Database for info on him.

MuppetDude

Reaction score
Didn't Mike Davis perform some of the Anything Muppets? ( Like the Pointy Green AM in the "Meet Me At The Bus Stop" song? He sort of sounds like Nelson.) Also, did Mike perform just the front half or both the front half and the voice( which sounds more like Nelson to me)?

Jeffrey Gray

Reaction score
He says he performed the front half and the voice, and he may very well have had a voice for Snuffy that was similar to Jerry's, but I have a theory is that the producers didn't think that he sounded enough like Snuffy, and had Jerry Nelson dub him over with his voice...however, since Davis has never said anything confirming this, I have no idea if my theory is true...

Janice & Mokey's Man

Reaction score
Correction

Originally posted by Jeffrey Gray
Richard Hunt never performed Mr. Snuffleupagus.
Richard did perform Snuffy, for it is documented in "Sesame Street: Unpaved". Under Richard's credits, it says, "Mr. Snuffleupagus: 1977-1980".

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score

That's possible too. Richard Hunt received credit in "Christmas Eve on Sesame Street" but I didn't see Forgetful Jones or Don Music or anybody in that special, so he could very well have been Snuffy. Actually, the voice there wasn't too different from Martin P. Robinsons. It was just a little lower.

Jeffrey Gray

Reaction score
We know that SS Unpaved has errors in it. For example, Northern Calloway died in 1990, not 1989 (as the Unpaved book states). I do not believe Richard Hunt was ever Snuffy...that 1977-80 period is when Michael Earl Davis performed Snuffy.

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score

That sort of puzzles me that Richard is credited on CESS (Christmas Eve on Sesame Strett, I thought I'd abreviate it), and he didn't perform Snuffy who the heck did he do? Maybe he was an assistant pupateer for Oscar when Carrol Spinney was busy performing Big Bird, or vise versa. That would make sense because the two of them are seen together a lot in that special.