how about a SS compilation TV series?

ISNorden

Reaction score
Two more themes...

[ETA: umm, make that THREE more!]

Which clips would you choose for a half-hour "Best of..." about these themes?

Geometric shapes should include some of the following:
  • The hippie and the strait-laced Anything Muppet imagining shapes
  • Herry and Cookie Monster singing "Circles"
  • Kermit's "wreck-tangle" lecture
  • The "I'm in Great Shape" live-film video from the 80s
  • One scene involving Telly and the Grand High Triangle Lover
  • The cartoon with the geometric shape which changes as different things happen; it begins as a square, but ends as an octagon in a spider's web
  • "Hip to Be a Square"
  • A "Bridgekeeper" cartoon (finding triangles, use for squares, eat/throw away the circles....)
  • A "shape hunt in the city" live-action clip (those were common in the early seasons)
Signs should include some of these:
  • Little Jerry's "Danger" song
  • Little Chrissy's "Exit" song
  • Luis looks for the exit in a bricked-up room
  • How Now Brown's songs about "Danger" and "Wet Paint"
  • Street scene starring one character (I forget which) going crazy with "Wet Paint" signs
  • Roosevelt Franklin teaches the word "Poison"
  • One or more of the "mixed-up sign" cartoons
  • Super Grover sketch with his taking the "bus stop" sign
  • A Muppet band sings about "One Way"
  • Cartoon: cars walk across the street on their hind wheels, after the pedestrian light changes
  • "Telephone Rock" with the original opening, where Jerry points out the sign on the phone booth
  • Live-action shorts of some common signs (STOP, SCHOOL, etc.)
  • Miami Mice: Ernie misunderstands the CERRADO sign
Emotions should include some of these:
  • Little Jerry's emotion songs ("Proud", "Sad", "Mad", "Surprise")
  • "Big Kids Cry Too"
  • Cartoon: "Island of Emotion"
  • Cartoon: Inventor shows off emotional robot
  • Muppet/kid moment: Bert and John-John discuss their feelings
  • "Happy and Proud" live-action video
  • Muppet/kid moment: child defines "love" as hugging
  • Grover has 15 seconds to describe love
  • Prairie Dawn's emotion pageant
  • Susan sings "If You're Happy and You Know It" with the kids
  • Cast member (I forget who) goes crazy acting out "happy, sad, scared, mad"
How do those themes and clip choices sound?

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Since your compilation shows use ten clips each, which of the above would you drop from the list? Which might you use that I didn't mention, considering the theme (numbers 21 and higher)?
Actually, they don't all have ten each. Some have less (some have nine, some have eight, I even counted six and seven on a few episodes). When I made that list I didn't actually count the number of sketches included in the episodes (with the obvious exception of "From 1 to 10"). And I included slightly more than ten in a few epsidoes (The Environment has 12 segments, and At Work has 11).

I wanted to include a "From 11 to 12" episode, but could hardly think of very many non-Number of the Day Muppet sketches for those numbers. I could think of at least one sketch for each of those numbers, though (not counting The Number of the Day or the number creatures, rubber stamps, and clown stop-motions). I didn't really feel like including any Letter or Number of the Day segments in this series (you might notice that I also didn't include Monster Clubhouse, Journey to Ernie, This is the Game Today, or Elmo's World segments).

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Your list is good. Here is some minor treaking (many of the skits you listed are ones that I'm unfamiliar with, and therefore don't have much opinion about).

Geometric shapes should include some of the following:
  • The hippie and the strait-laced Anything Muppet imagining shapes
  • Herry and Cookie Monster singing "Circles"
  • Kermit's "wreck-tangle" lecture
  • The "I'm in Great Shape" live-film video from the 80s
  • One scene involving Telly and the Grand High Triangle Lover
  • The cartoon with the geometric shape which changes as different things happen; it begins as a square, but ends as an octagon in a spider's web
  • "Hip to Be a Square"
  • Bridgekeeper: use for squares
  • A "shape hunt in the city" live-action clip (those were common in the early seasons)
Signs should include some of these:
  • Little Jerry's "Danger" song
  • Little Chrissy's "Exit" song
  • Luis looks for the exit in a bricked-up room
  • "mixed-up sign" cartoon: Taxi
  • How Now Brown's song about "Wet Paint"
  • Street scene starring one character (I forget which) going crazy with "Wet Paint" signs
  • Roosevelt Franklin teaches the word "Poison"
  • "mixed-up sign" cartoon: Bingo
  • Super Grover sketch with his taking the "bus stop" sign
  • A Muppet band sings about "One Way"
  • "mixed-up sign" cartoon: One way
  • Cartoon: cars walk across the street on their hind wheels, after the pedestrian light changes
  • Live-action shorts of some SCHOOL signs
  • Miami Mice: Ernie misunderstands the CERRADO sign
Emotions should include some of these:
  • Little Jerry sings "Proud"
  • "Big Kids Cry Too"
  • Cartoon: "Island of Emotion"
  • Cartoon: Inventor shows off emotional robot
  • Muppet/kid moment: Bert and John-John discuss their feelings
  • "Happy and Proud" live-action video
  • Muppet/kid moment: child defines "love" as hugging
  • Grover has 15 seconds to describe love
  • Prairie Dawn's emotion pageant
  • Susan sings "If You're Happy and You Know It" with the kids
  • Cast member (I forget who) goes crazy acting out "happy, sad, scared, mad"

ISNorden

Reaction score
Actually, they don't all have ten each. Some have less (some have nine, some have eight, I even counted six and seven on a few episodes). When I made that list I didn't actually count the number of sketches included in the episodes (with the obvious exception of "From 1 to 10"). And I included slightly more than ten in a few epsidoes (The Environment has 12 segments, and At Work has 11).

I wanted to include a "From 11 to 12" episode, but could hardly think of very many non-Number of the Day Muppet sketches for those numbers. I could think of at least one sketch for each of those numbers, though (not counting The Number of the Day or the number creatures, rubber stamps, and clown stop-motions).
From 11 to 20 might include these sketches, although I admit it'd be song-heavy:

• Two hands want to count to 11, but need help from a third
  • "Rocks in the desert" stop-motion on 12
  • Cowboy's "Lucky 13" song
  • Benny the Bunny and Polly Darton: "14-Carrot Love"
  • "Just Take a Look at 15"
  • "16 Samba" (Muppet song with the digits of "16" meeting and dancing together)
  • Rap #17
  • Bellhop #18
  • "19" song-cartoon, parody of Prince's "1999" with a man who's invited 19 of various animals to a party
  • Listen My Brother's song on counting to 20
How does that look? I did try to include some non-musical sketches, with a mixture of time periods and formats.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
If the ideas I listed were actually made, I wonder if they would all have a consistent lenght, give or take a few minutes per episode. It seems like animated segments are normally a lot shorter than Muppet or live action segments, but some Muppet segments are a bit short, too.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
  • Two hands want to count to 11, but need help from a third
  • "Rocks in the desert" stop-motion on 12
  • Cowboy's "Lucky 13" song
  • Benny the Bunny and Polly Darton: "14-Carrot Love"
  • "Just Take a Look at 15"
  • "16 Samba" (Muppet song with the digits of "16" meeting and dancing together)
  • Rap #17
  • Bellhop #18
  • "19" song-cartoon, parody of Prince's "1999" with a man who's invited 19 of various animals to a party
  • Listen My Brother's song on counting to 20
How does that look? I did try to include some non-musical sketches, with a mixture of time periods and formats.
Sounds good. Oddly enough, you only chose a handful of segments that I had thought of (I would have listed Lucky 13, Rap #17, and Bellhop #18. I also thought of including "Just Take a Look at 15", but I forgot what number it was about, and I also thought that it was about either 16 or 17).

ISNorden

Reaction score
If the 13-20 compilation emphasizes songs a bit too much, here are two alternative sketches I thought of this morning:

• For #14, the street segment with an artist showing off paintings that all have "14" themes. (I remember two of the paintings: a plane with fourteen passengers and a fourteen-fingered pianist at the keyboard.)
  • For #19, the street segment with the Count keeping track of Snuffy's trampoline jumps (Snuffy ends up stuck on the roof after the nineteenth jump).
By the way, if "To 21 and Beyond" were included in this series, I'd keep the "24" parody there; in its place, I'd suggest that the "Television" episode use the Bert/Ernie skit with "H" things making their TV malfunction.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
[*]For #19, the street segment with the Count keeping track of Snuffy's trampoline jumps (Snuffy ends up stuck on the roof after the nineteenth jump
When I was thinking of a "From 11 to 20" show, that is the sketch I had in mind for 19.

Anyway, here is a list of what sketches I thought of for such a show:
  • It's a Lovely Eleven Morning
  • The Ladybug Picnic
  • Lucky Thirteen
  • Sing a Song of 14
  • Just Take a Look at Fifteen
  • Number Creatures 16
  • Rap Song #17
  • Bellhop #18
  • Snuffy jumps on Big Bird's trampoline
  • Herry and John-John count to 20

My concern wasn't the use of too many songs, but the lack of Muppet sketches.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Which might you use that I didn't mention, considering the theme (numbers 21 and higher)?
Out of all the sketches I know of for 21 and higher, there are only a few others that I can think of off-hand: an animated sketch that counted 30 (or was it 40?) pig heads, a sketch where an animated cowboy counted two herds of cattle, adding up to 30, Monsterpiece Theater: The 400 Blows, and a sketch where Fat Blue went to a doughnut shop that Grover worked at and had to wait until Grover called the number on his ticket, 40, even though there didn't appear to be anybody else in the store.