honoring our fighting men?

julia

Reaction score
Hi Phil et al,

I couldn't help noticing (and others with me) that the banner on the MC homepage is a little odd. It says "honoring our fighting men and women". Of course MC can support whatever it wants, but I was still a bit taken aback by this. Could somebody please explain the reason for putting up a banner like this, because to me it feels funny to say the least to put this up on a "Child'friendly" forum which claims to unite people (through Muppets) all over the world.

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Julia,

The banner is for Memorial Day which is a holiday in the US when we remember those who've died and served America in times of war. Many are off from work and school during this national holiday and three-day weekend.

Kenneth Plume graciously designed the banner which we've used for the past few years. Like other holidays that we celebrate on the site (for example Christmas or Valentine's Day), Memorial Day is a national holiday in America as well. Even though it's a light-hearted photo, its purpose is as a remembrance of those who've served.

The regular rotating banners will resume tomorrow when the holiday is over. Thanks for your concern and hope this helps to clarify our intentions.

julia

Reaction score
Thanks for the swift explanation, Phil! I must say I haven't seen it in previous years but maybe that's because I used to go straight to the Delphi Forum back then without stopping at the main site. Anyway, for us non-American people it's a bit of a puzzling banner, especially with all the goings on after the 11th of september it sort of seems like MC is supporting a "new war" of some sorts. Maybe that's because "honoring our fighting men and women" sounds very present-tense. I saw on the ToughPigs board that some other people (even US citizens) were wondering about the banner as well, so maybe it's not the right sort of phrase in this day and age?

Luke

Reaction score
It confused the heck outa me for a bit. The timing meant it has been on for a few days rather than just memorial, so even though i knew about that it still didn't occur to me that this banner was specifically for that. I too thought it was something to do with Sept 11th.

It's a nice thought though, always good to remember those who served us.

W

Wembley Fraggle

I was more drawn to the muppet image then what it said. I don't liek to reed thengs two moch. :smile: As odd as it may sound, I am saying what I type in my head and often times the voice in my head goes faster then my fingers and i skip words. :smile:

This post was mainly to just try and get that "Junior Member" thing off my name a little faster :smile: lol

-Josh

Janice & Mokey's Man

Reaction score
Originally posted by Wembley Fraggle
This post was mainly to just try and get that "Junior Member" thing off my name a little faster :smile: lol
Lol, don't worry Wemb, most of us have been there! :wink:

Luke

Reaction score
Welcome back to the nut house Josh !!!!!

Luke

PS :- you'll be right at home here ! ;-)

radionate

Reaction score
Originally posted by Wembley Fraggle

-Josh
As is this post. Exactly how many posts does it take to become a full blown member?

radionate

Reaction score
Originally posted by radionate

As is this post. Exactly how many posts does it take to become a full blown member?
And while I'm at it, how many licks does it take to get to the center of a Tootsie Roll Tootsie Pop?

:confused:

W

Wembley Fraggle

And while I'm at it, how many licks does it take to get to the center of a Tootsie Roll Tootsie Pop?
I'm not sure but don't even try asking Mr. Owl or Mr. Turtle. :wink:

-Josh