Holding onto Hope: a fanfiction story

redBoobergurl

Reaction score
Author's Note:
This is a ripped from the headlines story for me, as it is based on a story that has plagued most of my life here in MN. I won't say much more about it before you read, but just know, this story won't end quite the same way the real life story does.

Chapter One:

Finally things were picking up again. Life was hectic but wonderful. Kermit and company were in the midst of a media blitz they hadn’t experienced since the golden days when they were first starting out. Thanks to their new movie finally starting production, it seems everyone wanted their presence in some shape or form.

Kermit wouldn’t trade it for the world. But, such busy times led to changes at home in many ways. It was rare everyone was home together at the Boarding House anymore. They still spent many days at the theatre, but now it was because it was part of where the new film was shooting.

Some folks, like Sweetums, spent long stretches down in Disney World entertaining the guests there.

Others were producing videos for YouTube. Some were doing the media circuit. All were involved in shooting the new movie in some shape or form, but not necessarily all at the same time.

While Kermit missed the days that they all gathered around the table at night for dinner and spent the majority of their time together, he had to admit, he loved being back in the spotlight where they belonged.

On this particular day, he was dressing for the Webby Awards, for which the gang was nominated for best video for their rendition of “Bohemian Rhapsody.” While it wasn’t a red carpet event by any stretch, it was important to Kermit that as many of the gang as possible was in attendance. Plus, he loved giving Piggy a chance to dress up; he knew it made her happy.

Kermit smiled as he tied his tie in the mirror. Times sure were changing, but he couldn’t remember the last time he was this happy.

“Uncle Kermit? Are you sure I can’t go to the awards show with you?” asked Robin as he bounded into the room suddenly.

Kermit did feel bad for Robin with all of these changes. He was affected the most. With Sweetums spending a great deal of time in Florida and the others being more spread out, Robin was often bored. On more than one occasion Kermit had even considered sending him back to the swamp, but he loved his life in Hensonville. He still thrived in school. Even with as busy as everyone was there was still usually someone around who could keep an eye on him. And, he wanted to be in the new film, he still wanted to be an actor with his beloved uncle. So Kermit decided as long as it was still working, no reason to uproot him.

“I’m sorry Robin, there are going to be a lot of people there and we’re going to be out pretty late. Besides, Rowlf is staying here with you, that should be fun,” said Kermit.

“Rowlf has a bad cold though, he doesn’t really want to play with me,” said Robin.

Kermit frowned. Robin had a point. Rowlf was chosen as babysitter tonight simply because he wasn’t up to going out and doing anything having been hit with a rare summer head cold.

“I have an idea, why don’t you see if Teddy and Willie want to come over tonight. If their parents say it’s ok, they can even sleepover,” said Kermit having a brainstorm. Fortunately Robin had made some good friends in town, specifically with the two boys Kermit named, who were classmates of Robin’s. It didn’t hurt that Teddy was a turtle and Willie was a lizard. They at least had some common background to Robin.

“That’s a great idea Uncle Kermit!” exclaimed Robin and ran off to call his friends.

“Yeah, great idea Kermit,” said a stuffed up Rowlf coming into the room.

“I figured this way he’d be out of your hair, or well, fur. You just have to make sure they don’t burn the house down,” said Kermit smiling at his friend.

“Well, as long as they aren’t too loud. Might hit the sack early,” said Rowlf.

“Understandable. Sure hope you’re feeling better soon. We have some scenes to shoot with you in the next few days,” said Kermit referring to the movie.

“Believe me, I want to feel better too, ah- choo!” sniffled Rowlf.

“Well thanks again for keeping an eye on Robin tonight. His friends are well behaved, I’m sure you won’t have any problems,” said Kermit turning to leave the room.

“I know, they are good kids. Hope you guys bring home the award tonight,” said Rowlf heading down the hall to the family room.

Kermit went to grab Piggy so they could get going; they had a long ride into the city. He could hear the Electric Mayhem was already down on the bus playing music.

“Uncle Kermit, their parents said yes!” said Robin running up to Kermit and nearly knocking him over.

“Good Robin, I’m glad to hear it,” said Kermit smiling and glad that the parents of Robin’s friends trusted his group enough to let the kids come stay the night.

“We’re going to play lots of games, it will be so much fun!” said Robin excitedly.

“Just be sure you don’t bother Rowlf too much ok? You are right that he’s not feeling that great. So if he tells you guys to keep it down or take it outside you do that ok?” said Kermit.

“Sure thing Uncle Kermit!” said Robin. Kermit knelt down to his nephew’s level. He loved this kid so much, as much as he imagined he could love his own son if he ever had one.

“I love you Robin, have fun tonight,” said Kermit giving him a hug.

“I love you too Uncle Kermit! I’m going to go get my room ready!” said Robin running off quickly. Kermit shook his head and smiled, the boy was something else.

Soon he had the entire group going to the awards loaded onto the bus. They waved goodbye to Rowlf and Robin and started their trip to the city. Rowlf and Robin sat on the porch to wait for Robin’s friends.

Another car pulled up shortly after that and Teddy Turtle hopped out with his overnight bag. “Hi there, you must be Rowlf,” said Teddy’s father through the window.

“That’s me, Rowlf, Rowlf the Dog. I’d shake your hand but I’m afraid I’ve got a bit of a cold,” said Rowlf.

“No problem, thanks for letting Teddy stay over and be sure to thank Kermit for us as well,” said Teddy’s father.

“Sure thing,” said Rowlf.

“Hi Teddy! I’m so glad you could come, I’m so bored!” said Robin.

“I was bored too!” said Teddy laughing.

No sooner had Teddy’s dad pulled away but two lizards came walking up to the boarding house.

“Hi there, I’m Mrs. Lizard, this is my son Willie,” said Mrs. Lizard.

“Rowlf, Rowlf the Dog. I help look after Robin here for his Uncle,” said Rowlf.

“Oh yes, Willie’s told me all about you, well all of you. I know he’s in good hands,” said Mrs. Lizard.

“Come on Willie, let’s bring yours and Teddy’s stuff up to my room!” said Robin.

Rowlf exchanged a few more pleasantries with Mrs. Lizard and then retired to the family room again and the comfort of a recliner. He turned his humidifier back on hoping to break up the nasty stuffed up head feeling a bit more.

Robin, Willie and Teddy were running up and down the stairs playing cowboys and Indians and were getting pretty noisy. And Rowlf’s head was pounding. He sighed. He loved the kid as much as Kermit did, but tonight was just not a good night.

“Boys? How’s about you guys go down to the movie store and pick out a movie to watch,” said Rowlf handing Robin enough change for a movie.

“All by ourselves?” asked Robin?

“It’s not that far, I trust you. Go straight there and back though, you understand? And look both ways before you cross the street,” said Rowlf. Robin was getting older and Rowlf felt he could handle something this simple. The movie store was five minutes away with only one busy street to cross that usually was settled down pretty well by this time of day.

“We’d better hurry, they close pretty soon!” said Willie.

“Yeah, let’s go!” said Teddy.

“Ok, thanks Rowlf!” smiled Robin and quickly ran with his friends out the door.

Rowlf watched them walk down the block. The sun was starting to go down a bit, but it was pretty light out. He knew they’d be safe.

Rowlf smiled and relaxed back into his spot on the recliner. He hated to do it, but this way they’d come back, watch their movie quietly and probably fall asleep. He was happy to let Robin have some fun with his friends, but his head just couldn’t handle the rambunctious type of fun today. He closed his eyes while the evening news played in the background.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

The next thing Rowlf knew he was being shaken awake.

“Rowlf? Rowlf?” came a young voice that sounded absolutely terrified. Rowlf was a little disoriented at first due to his cold, and was not sure why Robin sounded different. Did he have a bad dream?

He opened his eyes. It wasn’t Robin.

“Oh, hey Teddy. I must have fallen asleep. Did you guys get a movie? Did you fall asleep and have a bad dream?” asked Rowlf as the young turtle was actually shaking in his shell.

“No, we um, we,” stuttered Teddy.

Rowlf looked up to where Willie was standing by the door also looking terrified.

“Guys, what’s going on? Where’s Robin?” he asked.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

At the Webby Awards, Kermit and Piggy snuck off to have a quiet, private moment before the ceremony actually began. It was rare for them these days. They stood on a balcony outside of the auditorium just looking around at the people down below.

“You look so lovely tonight, best dressed out of everyone here,” said Kermit.

“Oh mon Cherie, you are too kind to moi,” said Piggy.

“Well it’s true. I knew this was a more casual affair, but you are putting everyone else here to shame,” said Kermit.

Piggy responded by kissing him on the cheek which Kermit did not object to. Things were going so well and he was so happy. He was even thinking maybe it was finally time to ask Piggy to marry him. That was the only thing that would make his life even greater at this time. But, he had no ring yet, so it would have to wait a bit.

“So Animal is down having a staring contest with the drummer from that group OK Go,” said Kermit changing the subject a bit so they wouldn’t get too carried away.

“I would imagine he would win, he can stare down a piece of wood,” said Piggy. Kermit laughed.

“That is true, he has pretty crazy eyes,” said Kermit.

Suddenly Scooter came running out to where Kermit and Piggy stood.

“Boss,” said Scooter.

“Oh is it time to go back in already? I thought we had about ten minutes,” said Kermit.

“No it’s not that, um, boss, I have to tell you something,” said Scooter looking nervous.

“What did Animal do now? Did he hurt the drummer from OK Go instead of just staring him down?” asked Kermit.

“No it’s not that. Um Rowlf just called,” said Scooter soberly.

Kermit noted his tone and suddenly felt a little sick.

“Is something wrong?” he asked but he guessed he already knew the answer. But nothing could’ve prepared him for what Scooter said next.

“Um, Robin’s, Robin’s been,” started Scooter barely able to get the words out.

“What is wrong with my nephew?” demanded Kermit starting to shake a little bit. Piggy grabbed his hand.

Scooter looked at the ground as he said, “He’s gone boss. Someone kidnapped him.”

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
*Takes in that last sentence. Yeah, that's where I thought this was headed about halfway through the chapter. Hopefully, you've prepared yourself for what the three-minded one will do once she stumbles in and reads this.
*Stations penguin cannon outside, bequeathing it to Beth. Other than that... More please?

Muppetfan44

Reaction score
Great Job! Definitely intrigued, although seriously worried for Robin. I haven't done a review in a while so I'll write on here

Finally things were picking up again. Life was hectic but wonderful. Kermit and company were in the midst of a media blitz they hadn’t experienced since the golden days when they were first starting out. Thanks to their new movie finally starting production, it seems everyone wanted their presence in some shape or form
Soooooo happy that this is true! I cannot wait till the film starts shooting and I especially cannot wait until christmas next year...best christmas present ever!:smile:

On this particular day, he was dressing for the Webby Awards, for which the gang was nominated for best video for their rendition of “Bohemian Rhapsody.” While it wasn’t a red carpet event by any stretch, it was important to Kermit that as many of the gang as possible was in attendance. Plus, he loved giving Piggy a chance to dress up; he knew it made her happy.
so cute! I love how Kermit loves finding things to do so that Piggy can get dressed up for it. Who doesn't love the chance to dress up every now and then! So excited for one of my friend's weddings coming up.

Kermit smiled as he tied his tie in the mirror. Times sure were changing, but he couldn’t remember the last time he was this happy
Love it, building up Kermit's happiness, all to tear it down later with the terrible news; great plot device though, tears at my heartstrings...poor Kermit

“Boys? How’s about you guys go down to the movie store and pick out a movie to watch,” said Rowlf handing Robin enough change for a movie.

“All by ourselves?” asked Robin?

“It’s not that far, I trust you. Go straight there and back though, you understand? And look both ways before you cross the street,” said Rowlf. Robin was getting older and Rowlf felt he could handle something this simple. The movie store was five minutes away with only one busy street to cross that usually was settled down pretty well by this time of day
Uh-Oh. Not a good idea! How old is Robin supposed to be now? Poor Rowlf had the best intentions, but probably not the best move

“Oh, hey Teddy. I must have fallen asleep. Did you guys get a movie? Did you fall asleep and have a bad dream?” asked Rowlf as the young turtle was actually shaking in his shell.

“No, we um, we,” stuttered Teddy.

Rowlf looked up to where Willie was standing by the door also looking terrified.

“Guys, what’s going on? Where’s Robin?” he asked
OH NO! it is never good when a turtle is shaking in his shell...totally hanging on every word at this point

At the Webby Awards, Kermit and Piggy snuck off to have a quiet, private moment before the ceremony actually began. It was rare for them these days. They stood on a balcony outside of the auditorium just looking around at the people down below.

“You look so lovely tonight, best dressed out of everyone here,” said Kermit.

“Oh mon Cherie, you are too kind to moi,” said Piggy.

“Well it’s true. I knew this was a more casual affair, but you are putting everyone else here to shame,” said Kermit.

Piggy responded by kissing him on the cheek which Kermit did not object to. Things were going so well and he was so happy. He was even thinking maybe it was finally time to ask Piggy to marry him. That was the only thing that would make his life even greater at this time. But, he had no ring yet, so it would have to wait a bit
HOORAY! love the quiet time between Kermit and Piggy. Hopefully Kermit will finally come to his senses and just marry Piggy already, lol! But alas, sadly the wedding plans will have to wait...poor Robin!

“No it’s not that. Um Rowlf just called,” said Scooter soberly.

Kermit noted his tone and suddenly felt a little sick.

“Is something wrong?” he asked but he guessed he already knew the answer. But nothing could’ve prepared him for what Scooter said next.

“Um, Robin’s, Robin’s been,” started Scooter barely able to get the words out.

“What is wrong with my nephew?” demanded Kermit starting to shake a little bit. Piggy grabbed his hand.

Scooter looked at the ground as he said, “He’s gone boss. Someone kidnapped him.”
I was thinking something like that happened. Poor Robin!:sympathy:

Great start! Lots of suspense, good length for the first chapter. You have our whistles properly wetted and your readers dying to hear more. Keep up the good work!

theprawncracker

Reaction score
*STARES* Goodness. GOODness. Talk about intense! I can't WAIT to see how this goes, Beth. It's very, very good so far!

RedPiggy

Reaction score
Well, considering I don't think Robin will ever wake up from his coma in that other awesome story, I'll enjoy reading this one. Poor Robin. *chuckles* That kid never catches a break. Kidnapping kinda floated through my head, but honestly ... I was expecting you to say he was flattened by a car. I'm so bad, I know. LOL.

Vic Romano

Reaction score
Wow, I was totally expecting car accident too, but when I read "kidnapped" I got crazy goosebumps!

Fantastic job weaving the current news into the story, especially the OK Go bit! Unfortunately, I'll never be able to watch that clip again without thinking "Robin is being kidnapped at this very moment!" :eek:

redBoobergurl

Reaction score
Thanks all! Second chapter will be up tomorrow. Third is already in the works.

TogetherAgain

Reaction score
Beth... If you hurt my Robin, there WILL be consequences.

...Oh wait... I'm the one who hit him with a car.

...Like I said, if you hurt my Robin, there WILL be consequences.

redBoobergurl

Reaction score
Beth... If you hurt my Robin, there WILL be consequences.

...Oh wait... I'm the one who hit him with a car.

...Like I said, if you hurt my Robin, there WILL be consequences.
I know, I know! The whole time I was writing this first chapter I was like, oh man, Lisa's going to kill me! Just hold on. Hold on to hope as the title says. I won't say much, just trust me. :smile:

Next chapter coming up next! Yeah that makes sense...too early after a late night. Oy.

redBoobergurl

Reaction score
Chapter Two:

The next moments were a fog to Kermit. He remembered asking if it was a joke. He didn’t remember running past Scooter to tell the Electric Mayhem that they would be in charge of accepting any awards. He didn't remember Dr. Teeth saying Floyd and Animal would stay behind and catch a cab back and that he would drive everyone else in the bus. He vaguely remembers being lead onto the bus with the others and how eerily quiet it was. Then he didn’t remember anything until pulling up in front of the boarding house nearly a half hour later.

There are police cars parked out front and police wandering all around the yard. One or two of them have dogs.

No one stops him as he runs into the house.

A police officer is with Teddy, Willie and their parents. Another officer, one whose face is somewhat familiar is with Rowlf. And that is who Kermit approaches.

“Hello Officer Caruthers,” said Kermit. He was not the same Office Caruthers of his youth, but was his son.

“Kermit, Piggy, hello,” he says soberly shaking Kermit’s hand. Kermit wasn’t even aware that Piggy had followed him into the house. He turned around and saw Fozzie and Gonzo standing there as well but that the others were still outside.

Rowlf was sitting in the chair with his head in his paws. The entire thing was playing out like a nightmare in Kermit’s head, but he took a deep breath.

“What happened?” he asks shakily.

Officer Caruthers starts to speak, but Rowlf lifts up his head.

“It’s my fault. I sent them to the video store so I could get some peace and quiet,” said Rowlf hoarsely and Kermit knows it's not just due to his headcold.

“Ok, so they went to the video store. Where did it happen?” asked Kermit. Rowlf put his head back in his paws.

“From what the boys over there said, a man followed them as they were coming back. They saw him and tried to walk faster. They started running and Robin tripped on a rock. Before he had a chance to stand back up they say the man reached out and grabbed Robin. They ran all the way back here,” said Officer Caruthers.

Kermit sank into the chair. There was no way this could be false. The boys wouldn’t make that up. Robin wouldn’t do this for attention and hop out from behind a chair saying “Ha ha, the jokes on you Uncle Kermit!” Kermit wished it was a prank though. He wished it with all of his heart. He would yell at Robin and be angry but then give him a hug and tell him to never do it again. But sadly, this was no prank.

He looked over to where Teddy and Willie were with their parents. He got up and slowly went over to them. Scared as he was about his nephew, his heart also ached for these two boys who were still victims even if they were untouched.

“Hi boys, I’m Robin’s uncle, are you ok?” he asked kneeling down to their level. Both boys had clearly been crying and appeared very shaken.

“It’s all our fault,” sniffled Willie.

“Why do you say that?” asked Kermit.

“We shouldn’t have been so noisy, then we wouldn’t have gone out at all,” said Teddy softly.

“Now you guys listen to me, it’s not your fault, you understand that? There was just a mean person out there. Sadly there are just people in the world who aren’t that nice. This is no one’s fault,” said Kermit.

“Yes it is, it’s MY fault,” said Rowlf rather loudly back in his chair.

Kermit turned around. He walked over and looked Rowlf in the eye.

“This is not your fault either you hear me? This is supposed to be a safe town and a safe neighborhood. I would’ve done the same thing; these boys are old enough to be able to go out on their own. And there shouldn’t have been any reason to question their safety. Hensonville is supposed to be safe!” exclaimed Kermit starting to really feel the seriousness of the situation. What was happening to their small little corner of the world? This was a place that they left the doors unlocked and never feared for anything before.

“No place is immune to this sort of thing Kermit, with all due respect, though you are right, we have the lowest crime rates around here,” said Officer Caruthers.

“So what do we do now?” asked Kermit sinking back into a chair again.

“Well we have a radius blocked off. We have Robin’s most recent picture. We’ve got officers and dogs trying to find anything they can. The boys have given us the best description they can of the captor. We’re doing everything we can to find Robin safely and get him home,” said Officer Caruthers.

“I appreciate your efforts, but isn’t there more that we can do? I feel like I should be out looking, we should all be out looking,” said Kermit getting ready to get out of the chair.

“Now hold on a second there Kermit, its best if you stay put. Someone could try calling here and we want you to be able to take the call and we’ll tap in. Trust me; we have the best men out in the field doing everything they can. There is something else we need to talk about though,” said Officer Caruthers.

“What is that?” asked Kermit. Piggy was now sitting by him holding his hand. Everyone else had remained pretty silent during much of the conversation.

“I would like to put out an Amber Alert and I want to go National with it. You’ll want to notify your family before we do that,” said Officer Caruthers.

“I’ll make the call right away,” said Kermit already dreading calling out to the Swamp. And he knew it would take a little bit to reach his family, he’d have to call Juhl’s Pizza Place and then have someone there track down his brother.

“There’s one other thing too,” said Officer Caruthers.

“Yes?” asked Kermit cautiously. What else could possibly be wrong?

“The other reason I want you and your friends to stay put is, well, given your celebrity status and your recent rise to the top again, we have reason to believe your nephew was taken as an act to target you. I know this seems like it was somewhat random, but we believe this person was hanging around waiting for a good moment to take Robin. So for your own safety, you need to stay here,” said Officer Caruthers.

Now Piggy finally spoke.

“Why would someone want to deliberately hurt Kermit? I don’t understand,” she said.

“I don’t know Piggy; all I ever wanted to do was fulfill Jim’s vision of bringing peace and harmony to the world. I don’t know why there are people out there who want to take that down, but I guess there are,” said Kermit sadly.

“I wish I could answer that for you. Anyway, I’d suggest you get in touch with your family as soon as possible so we can get the Amber Alert out. I want as good of a chance as possible to get Robin back if they happened to leave town,” said Officer Caruthers.

“Kermit, why don’t you let one of us make the call?” asked Fozzie.

“No, I need to do this, let me do it,” said Kermit. He got his cell phone out and dialed Juhl’s Pizza Place.

“Hi there Lisa, this is Kermit the Frog. Do you think you could send someone to the swamp to find my brother Jimmy? I need to talk to him right away. Thanks,” said Kermit to the waitress working there.

“Now what do we do?” asked Gonzo after Kermit finished the call.

Kermit was at a loss for words.

“I honestly don’t know guys. I’m lost,” he choked and dissolved into sobs.