"Hey cow, I see you now" film

SesameMike

Reaction score
You know that video about milking cows from the very first episode of Sesame Street, which is on the DVD?

There's a scene in there where they show scenes from a large-scale dairy operation. What they have there is a device called a "rotolactor", where the cows are milked on this large rotating platform. Notice how in some of the scenes, there's an observation window overhead. I think that was filmed at the Walker-Gordon dairy farm in Plainsboro, NJ. In 1971, I visited that farm with my nursery school, and you really could observe the rotolactor from overhead. The dairy ceased operations that same year, and today the site is all houses. But if you look on a map, there is a residential street there called "Elsie Drive", since this was the same farm where Elsie the Cow originated.

A picture of the device may be seen here:
http://www.plainsborohistory.com/walker-gordon-rotolactor-big.jpg

Also: This entire film was rather long, as Sesame Street films go. I think that an edited version of the same film was shown on later episodes. Not sure exactly which scenes were cut, but one I do remember was: you know when they fade from a cow pasture scene to a conveyor belt of milk cartons for the second time, toward the end of the film? When the film was edited, they kept the scene outside in the field, i.e., the scene didn't complete its dissolve, so all we saw was an eerie, ghost-like image of some milk cartons moving against some cattle out in the field.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I love this sketch, I don't care if it's too long, it's classic!!! Hehe

That's great that you think you might have actually been to that location. Thanks for sharing!

Drtooth

Reaction score
Two words....

Hillariously bad!

First of all, it is extremely long, and secondly, the song itself... okay... yeah. "Hey cow! I see you now! ... eating sweet green grass in the sun" or however it goes. I cracked up. I really cracked up!

Son of Enik

Reaction score
I have been waiting for someone to talk about this film!!
If you notice, the line "Hey cow...I See you Now" is my signature because this is one of my all-time favorite films ever on Sesame Street. The song is so relaxing, and cows are one of my favorite animals of all time.
Thank you SesameMike, I'm glad to see someone else appreciates this film and it's really cool that you actually went to that dairy farm!!

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Yes finally someone else likes this clip! Lol I never saw it as a kid, but it reminds me of all the other live action sketches from Sesame Street. They're almost as important to my memory as the Muppets. :smile:

sesameguy

Reaction score
It was great fun to see this film again. I remembered it, so it likely was still shown as late as 1976. Yes, it is long, but so what? :smile: It's a reminder that the show wasn't always fast-paced. There were moments of relative calm, and this was one of them.

In fact, it also reminds me of some of those 16mm films they used to show us during grade school. Some of those had some long moments as well.

natalied6579

Reaction score
A little off

I absolutely loved this clip but did anyone notice how it NEVER would have been made today.

Milk slowly dripping from a close up udder, "waiting for milking time, waiting for giving time", and the farmer aiming the udder at the kid and squirting milk into his mouth. UH....

mikebennidict

Reaction score
I don't think there's any reason to think this film wouldn't of been made today.