Hey Arnold!

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Ya know, I just got to thinkin'... as much as we all wanted a pwnsome bedroom like Arnold had, with that skylight and everything can you imagine how hot it would get up there? Especially in the summer?

Drtooth

Reaction score
Getting back to the potential Patakis spinoff, supposedly, Helga and Arnold were going to have a long-distance relationship.
The show would be too depressing. I mean, I love Phineas and Ferb's Dr. Doof, but he's slightly depressing with his abusive terrible childhood. That's at least played for laughs. Helga's problems are all very dramatic, and as funny as trying to get as many drunk references into a kid's show as possible, it comes off pretty dark. Bullies in kid's shows, by nature, have to be Woobies, but Helga is just absolutely the one you feel the most sorry for.

At least when she's part of another show, you have a buffer of other character stories to keep the show from being the "Look at how horrible Helga's home life is" action hour.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Well, Craig Bartlett said the spinoff would have been slightly darker and more mature than the original series... apparently, in another twist, Helga and Lila would have actually become best friends, but I believe it was said because they realized they could relate to one another and had a connection between them, considering both of them have hidden dark sides to them stemming from less-than-ideal childhoods (Helga's issues with her family, and Lila and her father once living in absolute poverty).

In addition to that, Gerald and Phoebe would have finally officially hooked up; I think Craig even said they were going to be the "cool couple" at school, so yeah.

Actually, there's a fan-animated trailer on YouTube, I wish I remember what the title of it is so I can look it up, but it was pretty well animated and kind of tugged at the heart strings with Helga and Arnold trying to meet up with each other one last time before he relocates.

mostlikemokey

Reaction score
I got back into this show again, and personally, Helga's awesome.
Sure, she's tough-talking and a bully, but think about all of that- we can easily say that she's the most stable person in her family, and despite all the chances that she's had to be mean to them (like the time she almost let her sister marry that total jerk) her conscience pretty much kicks in every time. She's actually very big hearted and not near as spiteful and she could be. Helga's also very smart and it said that she thinks that she has to hide it. I really wish they had made that jungle movie, and I think that if Helga had a chance to come into her own and realize that she doesn't need Arnold to lead a fulfilling life, they'd be more likely to get together, because Helga's neediness and insecurity would no longer be a barrier. Plus, Arnold and Helga would balance out really nicely if they could just be themselves around each other. Basically, too many things presented in the series were not wrapped up.

Mo Frackle

Reaction score
If I had to choose a favorite Nickelodeon show, one that was great from its beginning to its premature ending, I'd have to go with "Hey Arnold!". It was clever, but never too goofy. It actually taught viewers lessons, but never forced anything down their throats.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I don't know how premature its ending was, considering it lasted longer than most cable cartoons.

Mo Frackle

Reaction score
I don't know how premature its ending was, considering it lasted longer than most cable cartoons.
By "premature", I'm referring to the fact that Nick cancelled "The Jungle Movie". Sorry if I confused anyone.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Ah. Yeah, that makes a bit more sense.

Actually, not only that, but Nick itself canceled the show before the last couple of episodes or so even aired (then again, they did the same to CATDOG), and it wasn't until like three years later on the Nicktoons network that we saw those unaired episodes.

Mo Frackle

Reaction score
Ah. Yeah, that makes a bit more sense.

Actually, not only that, but Nick itself canceled the show before the last couple of episodes or so even aired (then again, they did the same to CATDOG), and it wasn't until like three years later on the Nicktoons network that we saw those unaired episodes.
Nick (like so many other networks) has a habit of airing episodes out of order. As for those last episodes of HA!, I wasn't too surprised when I saw ads for those. But I was definitely shocked to see an ad for a new episode of "CatDog", considering its cancellation had been pretty obvious by then. As I recall, the last aired episode of CD was the loser in a previous "viewer's choice" special.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Nick (like so many other networks) has a habit of airing episodes out of order.
Oh, tell me about it. That's pretty much one of my only two complaints with the Rocko DVDs, is that they put the episodes in original broadcast order... well, Nick didn't originally broadcast them in order (they did in reruns though), so like on the Season One DVD has the seventh episode first, and the first episode halfway through the second disc.