Herbert Becker makes offer to acquire 100% of the Jim Henson Company

radionate

Reaction score
Personally, this sounds like a bad place for our beloved troop of felt creations to wind up at.

I'm curious to see Luke's views on this, with his media ties.

I really don't see this deal going thru, but I think thats more wishful thinking then anything else. There certaintly weren't a lot of facts to go along with the story.

Luke

Reaction score
Hmmm yeah the rumors were going around that Valentines deal was not finalised (although the financial problems were exagerated a bit i think) and EMTV needs the money very soon - i wonder if they might just take the highest offer if it comes to it. I'd like to see 'Premium' price defined though - i wouldn't imagine the offer is as high as you might think by reading that. I guess the chances of this succeeding are VERY small compared to others but good to know there's interest still.

The technology they talk about sounds exciting (athough its not unique by any means) but it isn't going to help the Muppets much, they need a lot more right now. That kinda technology will obviously be a lot more sought after a few years from now though. I don't think they'd be a safe pair of hands at all - Henson need people with lots of experience within the TV industry.

It does tell us (i guess) that EMTV are also shopping around 100% of the company and didn't just change their mind at the last minute and insist on a part share as had been reported in some places. I guess they are looking at all offers !

sarah_yzma

Reaction score
i agree i'm all for technology advancements, but the muppets need other things, i think

Sarah

rowlf84

Reaction score
Call me closeminded, but it sounds like this company is just interested in experiementing with the muppets. I'm open to new ideas, but right now I think the muppets need a well known name and a stable company that knows how to market them, yet still allows the team to be creative. If they were willing to let the team that has been with the muppets since the beginning follow their own creative vision, then great. But if the company is looking at total control and manipulation... Unfotunately, I don't think we can know any company's intentions until things are all settled.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Does this open the door for Disney again. Well, could go either way. There wasn't much info about Herbert or his intentions and that bothers me.

Luke

Reaction score
Originally posted by frogboy4
Does this open the door for Disney again.
I don't think EMTV totally closed the door to certain negotiations after the Valentine announcement, they still have agreements with other people. I'm pretty sure Disney isn't one of those though and isn't likely to be.

Bean Bunny

Reaction score
Does this open the door for Disney again. Well, could go either way. There wasn't much info about Herbert or his intentions and that bothers me.
Frog Boy

Eisner, would have made a move by now. Basically the way that I seeing this is that all of the major player don't want to buy Henson. That why we now have second and third rate companies try to buy them.

The day that Disney buys Henson, I am going to marry Kerry Ripa.:big_grin:

beaker

Reaction score
...and the red herring dance continues. *sigh*