Henson Stitch

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
Okay, I forgot something here:

That was in the case of MACHINE sewn material. Clip the excess AWAY from the seam, but not so much that it will fray the remainder, then pull it open and pick out the fur.

This is how I was told once that it is done.

FOZ

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
Originally posted by Sir Didymus
Fozz,
You have the idea. You have to have material that is thick because you can't do it on thin material. I was just trying to convince Rick that it's not a "Myth". Because he keeps telling everyone "The Henson Stitch is a Myth", when its not.
Not to knock your opinion Didymus, `cause I've had the "Muppet stitch discussion" with a (former) Henson person as well, but I don't think Rick would steer us wrong on this, what with him actually being a Muppeteer and all.

Maybe this is like the "Caramilk secret" - we'll just never really know. :wink:

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
Originally posted by Buck-Beaver
I don't think Rick would steer us wrong on this, what with him actually being a Muppeteer and all.
OOOooooooh!! Hey, kewl!

SO, Rick, my friend. My comrade...good ole buddy ole pal o' mine!!

What all DO you DO there at JHC?

Treelo

Reaction score
I would argue that there is (or at least was) a "Henson Stitch" at one point in time. If nothing else, you can refer to Don's comment in "The Muppets on Puppets" where he mentions it.

I was taught the stitch(es) when I started working with the characters about a year ago - although I had figured out good fleece stitches on my own years before. It's pretty basic after all.

Sir Didymus

Reaction score
All I know is that the stitch Dave explained to me works. I asked him "How do you do the "Henson Stitch" and he described a way how to do it, which is very similar to the example Fozz gave. But I guess there are other ways to do it.

Sir Didymus

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
Rick,

W:eek:W!!

Impressive resume, dude! You're now one of my heroes.

erniebert1234ss

Reaction score
is there a programmable sewing machine that you can program the Henson stitch into and it does it automatically? I would use that because I'm an impatient person who would like to make puppets/muppets by myself and hand sewing is too much for a guy like me.

DirthNader

Reaction score
Holy Mary Mother of Magik-Markers and hand-crafted puppets :embarrassed: Having taken a gander at Rick.... I'm sorry, I mean Mr. Lyon's resume, I can only sit here in utter amazement and wonder just what sort of miracle guided me to this place.

I never imagined such talent would lend itself to the expansion of puppetry in such a way, and I must say...... I'm not worthy, I'm not worthy....

Until I am able to regain my composure, that's about all I will be able to say.

MuppetQuilter

Reaction score
I'm just a novice when it comes to puppet building, but I don't think a programmable sewing machine will cut it here. I've got a pretty shnazzy machine, but the thickness of the foam makes it difficult to get through a machine (though I do force it through sometimes). You generally need a precise seam with puppets-- the stitching line needs to be exactly where you want it-- and forcing it through the machine can require a lot of tugging and mess up your line. Somethings are just better done by hand. Generally, I avoid hand sewing at all costs but, alas, it is necessary at times.