Henson slashes European arm

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Here is an interesting article Luke adapted from "Broadcast" in the UK. It contains the most detailed info officially released on the European shutdown along with a startling quote from a Henson insider.

http://www.muppetcentral.com/news/2003/090203.shtml

While it is awful that people are loosing their jobs, restructuring is quite normal when a new owner takes over. More cutbacks like this may be happening in the coming weeks.

Check it out and let us know what you think.

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
This is a sad state of emergency here, I say! Wonder what would have happened had EM.TV never happened!

Luke

Reaction score
Guys,

Just wanted to explain that the reason i had to rewrite the article was because my copy of Broadcast went 'missing' so i had to grab a friends when we were out and about and just take quick notes on my PDA. I think you can actually get the original now by signing up for a free trial at the Broadcast website (www.broadcastnow.co.uk) but i didn't realise that until today, usually they charge for content with no trial. Anyway just wanted to get the story to ya, although it was rushed all the info is there, and that quote was quite something. I can't think what their global strategy of downsizing entails, EMTV didn't leave much behind !

beaker

Reaction score
Knowing how intregal Europe and particularly the UK has played for the survival and legacy of the Muppets...this is most distressing news.
I guess there was a big price to bay for the buyback...I hope this doesnt turn into a Muppets Helms Deep before too long.

Gosh, I hope there's some good news before too long.

Muppetsdownunder

Reaction score
Thats not good news at all. I hope the JHC doesn't go broke or anything like that. That would be terrible.

:sympathy:

I hope its only the UK that has the problems, that is bad enough as it is, let just hope nothing else bad like this happens.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
It's always sad when people lose their jobs, but Henson really needed to tighten their belt. This can be a good thing for the company as a whole. At the very least the Creature Shop is still running. :cry:

I feel that in time Henson will rebuild their entertainment division in the UK, but not for a while. This could also mean the slimming down of the company so it can be sold to another buyer down the line. While everyone else was celebrating, I foresaw many cuts to come. Every victory has its casualties. If this is it we will be lucky. Lousy EMTV! :mad:

This is not the end of the Muppets in Europe. I look at it as the end of their current run. :embarrassed:

Beauregard

Reaction score
Oh, man. This is not good. Poor JHC.

I said a couple of weeks ago that this would be happening.

It is very, very sad day for JHC.

We just need to go on praying that the Muppets will live through it all.

*sigh* :concern: Hope the Hoobs arn't finished with though...

Beauregard

BoyRaisin2

Reaction score
Wow, so Henson UK is done, eh? I never thought I'd see the day.

Well, that's the business world. As long as the Creature Shop is still up and running, I'll be satisfied.