Henson sells Muppets to Disney

What do you think of Disney buying the Muppets and Bear?

• It's great! Disney can keep the Muppets alive and visible.

Votes: 58 40.0%
  • It's awful! The Muppets will go downhill and quality will suffer.

Votes: 87 60.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Jivepuppet

Reaction score
First reaction; "Oh God No."

After reflecting for a few moments; "Holy S*#t!" (Trying not to curse)

After a few more moments; "Figures. Let's hope for the best."

It makes sence. Disney just better keep ALL the Henson puppeteers on board.

MuppetNewsFlash

Reaction score
Muppet News Flash

This is a Muppet News Flash! In a correction from earlier news reports it has been found that the sky is indeed NOT falling, I repeat the sky is NOT falling!

I think everyone should realize that Disney buying the Muppets won't be the apocalyptic disaster it has been made out to be here. Of course with ANY business venture there is room for failure but that does not mean there won't be a pot of gold of success at the end of the rainbow connection so to speak.

Who wouldn't like to see the obvious return of the Muppet Show on Disney owned networks, possibly ABC. How about an Electric Mayhem Band CD on Disney Records. Heck, dare we dream, how about adding Manhattan Melodies to the popular trend of Disney Broadway Hits!

The sky is the limit! The only thing we have to fear is fear itself... and objects similar to news stories being told getting thrown at you! Of Course.

This has been a Muppet News Flash!

SarahHIYE

Reaction score
A Different Way of Looking

Okay, everyone, I'm going to look at this from a different perspective. Stay with me here.

Since September 11th, America has been screaming for a return to familiar territories and to more wholesome environments. I've been reading a lot about this, it interests me greatly. Look at the music industry: Britney's new CD sold NOWHERE near her old CDs did. And some people claim that to the fact that she is overexposing her self and sex. Same with Christina Aguelira (I cant spell her last name, sorry). And who is America's Idol? CLAY AIKEN. (I know Ruben won, that's besides the point, Clay really won in the long run). Probably the most wholesome singer to come around in awhile. Even Kelly Clarkson. She doesn't strip or walk around naked to sell CDs. And do I have to do anything else but mention the popularity of Josh Groban?

In movies: 'Finding Nemo' was one of the biggest movies to come out last year. PERIOD. Everyone I know loves that movie, whether they're 2 or 200 (okay, I don't know any 200 year olds, but you know what I mean!). My roomate went to buy the DVD on the first day it came out and had to go to 3 different stores because they were all sold out!

What am I getting at? Americans are tired of being sad, devestated, uneasy. We need a safe haven. Why did Friends's ratings SOUR post-9/11? Because America knows those characters and knew they would be safe with them.

The Muppets are what we've been waiting for. They are a return to all that was familiar and good and right with the world. They represent an easier time for so many of us, and are so well loved. And the Muppets are waiting to embrace the new generation as well. And Disney has the means to reach all those people. I know it sucks and we all want Jim's legacy to live on through his company, but it's out of our hands. We need to make the best of it. Disney can reach a wide audience and the Jim Henson Company simply can't. If this buyout does nothing else, it secures a place for the Muppets.

Trust in the Hensons, people. We have for so long, we should now. A family is strongest when it supports its members, not when it creates divisions.

(Please dont hate me :halo: )

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
I think you made some great points.

I hate to nit-pick over facts, but:

...Look at the music industry: Britney's new CD sold NOWHERE near her old CDs did. And some people claim that to the fact that she is overexposing her self and sex. Same with Christina Aguelira (I cant spell her last name, sorry).
Actually declining CD sales is expected as artists release their 3rd, 4th, 5th album (though there's occasionally an exception). Britney and Christina are still so popular they're actually making more money than ever these days.

And who is America's Idol? CLAY AIKEN. (I know Ruben won, that's besides the point, Clay really won in the long run). Probably the most wholesome singer to come around in awhile. Even Kelly Clarkson. She doesn't strip or walk around naked to sell CDs. And do I have to do anything else but mention the popularity of Josh Groban?
I think you're right about this, there is a backlash to Christina/Britney. This stuff goes in waves. Hillary Duff will be proclaiming her "independence" on the cover of Maxim in a few years I don't doubt.

Oh and Ruben is actually outselling Clay now the American Idol folks claim.

The Muppets are what we've been waiting for. They are a return to all that was familiar and good and right with the world. They represent an easier time for so many of us, and are so well loved. And the Muppets are waiting to embrace the new generation as well. And Disney has the means to reach all those people. I know it sucks and we all want Jim's legacy to live on through his company, but it's out of our hands. We need to make the best of it. Disney can reach a wide audience and the Jim Henson Company simply can't. If this buyout does nothing else, it secures a place for the Muppets.

Trust in the Hensons, people. We have for so long, we should now. A family is strongest when it supports its members, not when it creates divisions.
I don't see quite the "second coming" (to borrow a poor phrase) that you're seeing, but still well said. :smile:

shazam

Reaction score
Luke said:
You'd think maybe the kids would have issued a statement to staff and friends/followers of the company like Rivkin did. We haven't even had an announcement of Wizard Of Oz yet. I'll be the first to admit i could be way off base here but i've never found we got a great deal of respect from these guys.
Actually they did issue a statement through our new CEO, Peter Schube. We got it before the announcement went out. Unfortunately, it's not something we could release to the public before the announcement of the sale.

SarahHIYE

Reaction score
Eh, Clay's better. :smile: hehe

I'm not anticipating a "second coming" just that the time is right for good quality entertainment, and the Muppets can provide that. And we do need to stick together and support the Hensons--we're the people they're doing this for, right?

Tutter

Reaction score
I hope that the Muppet show, and more muppet movies will now be made or old ones shown on TV more often, now that Disney owns the company! I really hope that Muppets will stay alive because its under a new company! :smirk:

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
It's likely all going to The Disney Channel if they do. Anybody seen Disney Channel productions? They stink. Cheese. They produce cheese nowadays. I guess you couldn't expect anything different from the mouse.

But, that's how I feel about their TV and sequel stuff.

I saw Miracle. Disney made a great film with that, plus it's based on a true story. It was really good. I hope they give the Muppets the same respect.

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
Oh, yeah, and I have to wonder: Where will the Muppets be housed now? The actual puppets, I mean? Will all the archives now be mixed in with Disney's? Who all else will now lose their jobs at JHC? Will the giant Kermit atop the Chaplin Studios have to come down? What about Henson.com? Will all the Bear and Muppet stuff have to come down from there? Too many questions to worry about. I must stay focused on Miracle. It's a good movie that Disney made. Disney CAN make a good film, even if they did just run off Pixar...a company not nearly as old as JHC but has the know-how and guts to do somethign on their own. Wait--there I go again...

Miracle. Good movie. Miracle by Disney...

I pray for a miracle...