Henson-related video games

Fluffets

Reaction score
Hello everyone. After reading RedPiggy's Labyrinth video game thread I made this one. I have some suggestions that might interest you.

The Muppet Game! - This video game is about Kermit The Frog going back to the swamp and missing his friends. This makes up the first half of gaming in it. So he sets off on his bike and then you spend a level avoiding traffic on the road. Then he continues his quest in a series of minigames to find his friends. Gonzo joins NASA to help find his parents again, with the help of his chickens and Bunsen and Beaker also work there. The Electric Mayhem go on a music tour in their bus with Rowlf. Fozzie becomes a waiter. Swedish Chef makes food in the same restaraunt as Fozzie. Rizzo and Pepe join the police force. And Piggy works at a bakery. In the game you find Piggy last. Then the second half revolves around the reunited gang holding together a show at the Muppet Theatre. And you have to play as multiple characters to do so.

Labyrinth: The video game - An adaption of the movie.

Dark Crystal - In this you get to play as Jen and also you swap between The Mystics and The Skeksis.

Please tell me what you think! :smile:

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I've been thinking about this subject lately. I have noticed that the Muppets have never done the same kind of video game twice. There's only one go-kart game, one Mario Party-style game, one pinball game...

I also thougt, wouldn't it be cool if there were some kind of Donkey Kong parody with the Muppets? Kermit could be in the Mario role, Miss Piggy can be Pauline, and Donkey Kong could be portrayed by either Sweetums, Doglion, or Mean Mama.

Fluffets

Reaction score
I've been thinking about this subject lately. I have noticed that the Muppets have never done the same kind of video game twice. There's only one go-kart game, one Mario Party-style game, one pinball game...

I also thougt, wouldn't it be cool if there were some kind of Donkey Kong parody with the Muppets? Kermit could be in the Mario role, Miss Piggy can be Pauline, and Donkey Kong could be portrayed by either Sweetums, Doglion, or Mean Mama.
What game would this fit into? I've thought of my ideas, including a whole plot for The Muppet Game. If you thought of an idea and title I'd be happy to read your idea.:big_grin:

Drtooth

Reaction score
I really want to see a HIGH quality muppet game... something aside of the usual Mini-game... remember, Muppet games based off of smaller minigames has been around since Atari 2600's Pigs in Space. But no standard side scrollers either. The Muppets for Game Boy Color was disastrously bad.

And this day and age, Video games based on old properties are big deals. Look at Ghostbusters. There's no way that GB3 will ever be made, and the DTV animated movie didn't happen... the video game is the thing that's really rebooting the franchise (by the way, the animated DTV was pretty much transformed into the video game). I think the Muppets need that sort of boost, but they just need a team that knows how to make them playable.

Fluffets

Reaction score
I really want to see a HIGH quality muppet game... something aside of the usual Mini-game... remember, Muppet games based off of smaller minigames has been around since Atari 2600's Pigs in Space. But no standard side scrollers either. The Muppets for Game Boy Color was disastrously bad.

And this day and age, Video games based on old properties are big deals. Look at Ghostbusters. There's no way that GB3 will ever be made, and the DTV animated movie didn't happen... the video game is the thing that's really rebooting the franchise (by the way, the animated DTV was pretty much transformed into the video game). I think the Muppets need that sort of boost, but they just need a team that knows how to make them playable.
What does DTV stand for? Plus I read on wikipedia and the ghostbusters game hasn't been released yet.:big_grin:

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I wouldn't say that the game boy color game was bad, but it is my least favorite of the Muppet videos games I've played, and it sure was hard. Has anybody here ever beaten that game? I've only managed to rescue Sam the Eagle.

I wonder if Disney plans to make a vidoe game based on The Greatest Muppet Movie Ever Made. Of course, it would be interesting if Disney made "The Greatest Muppet Video Game Ever Made" as a tie-in not directly related to the movie. I remember when I heard of The Simpsons Game I wondered if it would have been based on the movie (since the game and the movie came out a few months apart). Of course it wasn't, but I did wonder that (heck, I also wondered, wishfully thinking, if it might have been a home release o The Simpsons arcade game).

I have noticed that in just about every Muppet video game (though I don't know about Muppet Monster Adventure) that the player can choose what level/ stage to play, even if the game has an actual plot. It would be great to have a Muppet video game where the players don't get to choose the order of levels and stages they play.

And I keep thinking that a Muppet Robin Hood game would be great to have.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Now that I think about it, the ultimate Muppet video game should have been made/ attempted back when Henson still owned the Muppets, and would have combined all major Muppet universes, featuring the casts of The Muppet Show, Sesame Street, Fraggle Rock, Bear in the Big Blue House, and maybe other Henson productions that would be considered "Muppets" (like Sam and Friends and Land of Gortch). And maybe some creaure shop characters could have been included, such as the characters from The Dark Crystal, Labyrinth, The StoryTeller, Dinosaurs, and Farscape.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
How about an idea called "Curse of the Mupet Theater"? The plot would invovle a curse put on the theater, and the Muppets would need to do a series of tasks in order to end the curse. Maybe the Old Gypsy Lady could be brought back as the final boss, or maybe a new character could be introduced and repsonsible. Or maybe Taminella Grinderfall can be responsible.

The first few levels could take place before the show starts, and then the Mupets would have to worry about how to do the remaining tasks while running the show. And there can be the occassional mini-bonus games (I really like the bonus games that appear in plot-based video games like Sonic the Hedgehog). Perhaps some can be inspired by actual episodes and sketches. For example, one bonus game can involve The Swedish Chef battling lobsters. And some stages of the curse could be related to existing epsidoes. Beaker could fall into Bunsen's copying machine, but unlike the Mac Davis epsidoe, all Beaker clones would turn evil, and you'd have to chose a character to attempt to destroy all of the evil clones. And maybe the Koozebanian Phoob could turn into Kermit and try to take over the theater. And Miss Piggy can turn into a stone statue, and you'd need to find the spell to turn her back.

And for original and semi-original stages of the curse, some of the Muppets would suddenly shrink, and you'd have to avoid stepping on them while trying to figure out how to bring them back to normal size. And, in an idea taken from two Darkwing Duck episodes and sort of also inspired by the Tiny Toons game for Sega, a group of evil hats would try to take over, jumping on characters heads and taking over their personalities (for this you'd have to play as Fozzie, The Swedish Chef, or another hat-wearing character). And perhaps termites can invade the theater and chew on the roof of the theater.

Drtooth

Reaction score
What does DTV stand for? Plus I read on wikipedia and the ghostbusters game hasn't been released yet.:big_grin:
Direct to video as in direct to video movie. Originally, there was supposed to be a film called Ghostbusters Hadesbound (due to the censorship on the board, I can't use the real title), and it was to feature all the GB actors reprising their roles in a CGI animated form. It wasn't meant to be GB3, but a separate movie in its own right. Seems they borrowed the plot from the movie and put it in the video game.

And I know it hasn't been released yet, but the buzz about the project alone kick started the franchise, getting Sony to loosen up and release the full cartoon series (only available so far at Time Life). As well as a web exclusive Ghostbusters toy line by Mattel and the Four Horsemen. The game, and the fact it's the 25th anniversary of the original film, really kick started the franchise, and I don't see how something like that wouldn't help the Muppets.... IF the game was good enough.

Fluffets

Reaction score
DThe game, and the fact it's the 25th anniversary of the original film, really kick started the franchise, and I don't see how something like that wouldn't help the Muppets.... IF the game was good enough.
Good point. Well said. :big_grin: