Henson Company NY

Infinity Sirius

Reaction score
I'm curious, who bought he old Jim Henson Company building on 117 E 69th Street in NY, after it was put up for sale?

Blinky_Fish

Reaction score
Mansion

I went to see the Mansion in it's state as it sits a few months back on a Henson Crusade... It's pretty sad. It sits with some boards on the steps and all the brick needs to be repointed. Smells like urine in the front. I have pictures and wrote an article, but I don't want to publish it yet because I have other items that need to be address for closure on the Muppet Mansion's fate. But I will readdress my issues and have it ready for Phillip next Month. :super:

MelissaY1

Reaction score
I went to see the Mansion in it's state as it sits a few months back on a Henson Crusade... It's pretty sad. It sits with some boards on the steps and all the brick needs to be repointed. Smells like urine in the front. I have pictures and wrote an article, but I don't want to publish it yet because I have other items that need to be address for closure on the Muppet Mansion's fate. But I will readdress my issues and have it ready for Phillip next Month. :super:
That is so sad. I was in the building several times when I interned at Henson back in 1999. Matter of fact, my first interview was in Jim Henson's office that the photos can be seen of in Jim Henson: The Works book and on the documentary Henson's Place amongst others. I am so sad that that beautiful building is no longer the Henson home base in NYC. :frown:

By the way, I love some of the new emoticons here. Sherlock Hemlock and Wembley! Though I think the Skeksis kind of looks like Bert's pigeons LOL

Infinity Sirius

Reaction score
I was planning on going to see the Muppet Mansion next month when I went to New York. So much for seeing if the new company would let me in to see the lobby.

Is there anywhere else in New York that should be seen by a muppet fan?

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I would try the Paley Center for Media (formerly The Museum of Television and Radio), they have a huge amount of rare Muppet video material that you can view while you're there.

Blinky_Fish

Reaction score

A) You should not approach the offices without an appointment. You won't even get in the building. That includes the Sesame Offices, rough I know... But in these times it is a nessasary thing.

B) The Mansion, is just a building now, there is no indication that special place existed, just a hulk. Sad but true.

C) Kaufman-Astoria is outside walking distance - you should reconsider because it is a hike and you will be turned away.

Most of the Muppetty Goodness now resides in Kali-fornia at Chaplin Studios.

If you want to see some Muppet Sites:

The street that the Muppets march down and Kermit get's hit by a car is right next to Grand Central Station and 5th Ave. The old Biltmore supposedly. My wife works in that office occasionally so I know it by heart.

Bryant Park is just around the corner from there. Also a good Spiderman Site at the Central Library where Uncle Ben Dies and the Ghost Busters thing.

The Helmsley is a backdrop for some Muppetty stuff, But you need to stay down wind of the horse Urine!

On 5th Avenue - near the park is the World of Disney (555 5th) on the Second floor is a piece of artwork that used to reside in the Mansion stairwell. The Ballon Race - Has all kinds of Schielich figures. Really dusty, so I suggest distance pictures.

You could visit the Bridge in Central Park (Sesame and the Muppets used this site)

Times Square - There is the Naked Cowboy, TRU,MTV, ABC,NASDAQ,Bubba Gumps, all for tourists

Then there is the Port Authority Bus Terminal...

Things Not to do:
The TV musem is a HUGE let down, they have almost nothing for the $16 entrance fee. and more than likley they dont have anything to do with Jim Henson on display now.

MOMA - Might have something... I doubt it.

The Hot Dogs Stink in NYC - Stick with the Butterd roll or Knish:wisdom: Use SPICY Brown Mustard

MelissaY1

Reaction score
A) You should not approach the offices without an appointment. You won't even get in the building. That includes the Sesame Offices, rough I know... But in these times it is a nessasary thing.

B) The Mansion, is just a building now, there is no indication that special place existed, just a hulk. Sad but true.

C) Kaufman-Astoria is outside walking distance - you should reconsider because it is a hike and you will be turned away.

Most of the Muppetty Goodness now resides in Kali-fornia at Chaplin Studios.

If you want to see some Muppet Sites:

The street that the Muppets march down and Kermit get's hit by a car is right next to Grand Central Station and 5th Ave. The old Biltmore supposedly. My wife works in that office occasionally so I know it by heart.

Bryant Park is just around the corner from there. Also a good Spiderman Site at the Central Library where Uncle Ben Dies and the Ghost Busters thing.

The Helmsley is a backdrop for some Muppetty stuff, But you need to stay down wind of the horse Urine!

On 5th Avenue - near the park is the World of Disney (555 5th) on the Second floor is a piece of artwork that used to reside in the Mansion stairwell. The Ballon Race - Has all kinds of Schielich figures. Really dusty, so I suggest distance pictures.

You could visit the Bridge in Central Park (Sesame and the Muppets used this site)

Times Square - There is the Naked Cowboy, TRU,MTV, ABC,NASDAQ,Bubba Gumps, all for tourists

Then there is the Port Authority Bus Terminal...

Things Not to do:
The TV musem is a HUGE let down, they have almost nothing for the $16 entrance fee. and more than likley they dont have anything to do with Jim Henson on display now.

MOMA - Might have something... I doubt it.

The Hot Dogs Stink in NYC - Stick with the Butterd roll or Knish:wisdom: Use SPICY Brown Mustard
What do you mean the museum of TV & Radio (now the Paley center) has almost nothing? They have a VAST archive of Henson stuff from Muppets to Sesame. I was just there a few weeks ago for an unrelated (non Henson) event and had some time to spare and went digging through the computer archives and they had tons of things to select to watch. For a visitor to NYC who wants to kill some time and see some awesome Henson stuff, it's an ideal place to go in my opinion.

I've been a member there for several years now and they have fantastic Henson stuff and usually at least once a year or every couple of years they have a nice full all out Henson event there.

Blinky_Fish

Reaction score
What do you mean the museum of TV & Radio (now the Paley center) has almost nothing? They have a VAST archive of Henson stuff from Muppets to Sesame. ...

I've been a member there for several years now and they have fantastic Henson stuff and usually at least once a year or every couple of years they have a nice full all out Henson event there.
M - You answered my arguement - The rotating display is never advertised, nor displayed on a regular basis and the oh, so helpful French guy (not to give Frogs of the other nature a bad name) at the counter - is not a Henson fan.

Been there myself several times on a trip for work... and I find that some of the diplays get more attention than most. And they leave out important contributions based on a generation gap and obvious donations of the financial kind. If you want to see Henson stuff you should go to LA there is more stuff out there.

M - I still think u rule:big_grin:

Infinity Sirius

Reaction score
Kaufman-Astoria? Sounds familiar, but refresh my memory what that has to do with the Muppets.

The office building may be only a building now, but still I would like to see the outside of it.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I have to agree with Melissa, The Paley Center/TV Museum is a perfectly good and important place to check out. Of course, I am honestly sorry if anyone had a bad experience, obviously all Museums have their good and bad days. I have had some great experiences there. Thing is, the main point of The Museum is not its displays, and they make a point of explaining that often. Its most important attraction is its enormous and extensive video collection, all of which is easily found and ready to view. They have Muppet specials, episodes, and documentaries that are extremely difficult to find anywhere else today, if at all. :smile: