Henson at Museum of T.V. and Radio NYC

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
Sounds great, but not sure if I can make it yet because I don't know what time my meetings in NYC are and I have to go back to Toronto that night...not sure when my flight or bus/train will be. :smirk:

jeffy

Reaction score
Is it worth going to the (NYC) museum before the show? Are there Muppety things in the museum at all?

I'm going, assuming there are tickets left. Is anyone from the Philly/Delaware/Baltimore/all points south going? I'll be taking NJ Transit up and back. If there is other Jim Henson stuff at the museum, I'll go up a few hours early, at least. If not, I'll only work towards getting there around five, I guess.

This is pretty cool. Lots of Muppet stuff happening. Now if only Avenue Q were cheaper than fifty bucks a ticket (without having to enter a lottery :' ).

MelissaY1

Reaction score
jeffy said:
Is it worth going to the (NYC) museum before the show? Are there Muppety things in the museum at all?

I'm going, assuming there are tickets left. Is anyone from the Philly/Delaware/Baltimore/all points south going? I'll be taking NJ Transit up and back. If there is other Jim Henson stuff at the museum, I'll go up a few hours early, at least. If not, I'll only work towards getting there around five, I guess.

This is pretty cool. Lots of Muppet stuff happening. Now if only Avenue Q were cheaper than fifty bucks a ticket (without having to enter a lottery :' ).
Jeffy,
Yes, they have many Muppet things availabe for viewing only at the museum. They have a library department where you go in, look up what you want to watch on the computer database, and they'll direct you to a console in the viewing room where you'll be hooked up with a screen and headphones. They have a lot of Muppet T.V. specials, Sesame Street episodes, etc. It's a really cool museum and occassionally they host wonderful Muppet related exhibits. Back in '99 I saw the Art of the Furry and Famous exhibit that featured artwork from celebrities and the staff of Sesame Street including brilliant artworks by the Muppeteers Steve Whitmire, Frank Oz, Caroll Spinney, Jerry Nelson, Kevin Clash, David Rudman, Joey Mazzarino, and so forth.
Melissa

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
There is a puppet exhibit on right now in New York at the NY Library for the Performing Arts and it will still be there mid-Oct.

This is from the Henson Foundation Website:

Now extended due to popular demand, this exhibition chronicles the remarkable international art form of shadow puppetry that stretches from pre-history to our time. Traditional shadow puppets and screens from Asia, the Middle East, and Europe share the gallery with the figures, designs, and performance videos of such contemporary innovators as Janie Geiser, Stephen Kaplin, Theodora Skipitares, and Rudi Stern. All told, 150 figures give evidence of why shadow puppetry remains a vital art form today.
June 18, 2003 through November 08, 2003
Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Fridays & Saturdays from noon to 6 pm, Thursdays from noon to 8 pm

Donald and Mary Oenslager Gallery, New York Public Library for the Performing Arts
40 Lincoln Center Plaza
New York, NY

Tickets: Free admission
Tickets/Information: 212.870.1630
http://www.nypl.org

Born2Roll

Reaction score
I just ordered my ticket last night, I'm really looking forward to this! Anyone who knows the museum up for suggesting a way we could meet? Although I'm REAL new around here hanging out with puppetfolk from around the region would be fun (I'm from Philly myself). We have a week, so let's try and pull something together.

Ryan

Reaction score
Born2Roll said:
I just ordered my ticket last night, I'm really looking forward to this! Anyone who knows the museum up for suggesting a way we could meet? Although I'm REAL new around here hanging out with puppetfolk from around the region would be fun (I'm from Philly myself). We have a week, so let's try and pull something together.
Welcome! Hey, I'm a Philly puppeteer, too! Maybe I'll run into ya at the show!

matleo

Reaction score
Got my ticket last week. Siobhan and I will both be there. Can't wait!! Don't know if anybody has noticed or not, but they've added Jerry nelson asa one of the guest speakers. AWESOME!!!

--Matt

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
Jerry Nelson is too cool, so be sure to say "HI" to him for all your friends at Muppet Central!! See if he'll recognize our little online community! :smile:

Ryan

Reaction score
BTW guys, if you were planning on going and didn't get yor tickets yet, you're out of luck. The show was sold out recently.