1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Original Soundtrack
    With a new Muppet movie one of the most anticipated merchandise releases is the official soundtrack. Listen to the Muppets Most Wanted original soundtrack now playing on Muppet Central Radio.

Help Save British Fraggle Rock Episodes

Discussion in 'Fraggle Rock' started by charlietheowl, Oct 6, 2012.

1. charlietheowl

charlietheowl Well-Known Member

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2012/10...es-of-fraggle-rock-on-vhs-do-they-stil-exist/

Evidently the UK version of Fraggle Rock has been destroyed by short-term oriented thinking by the production company's storage department. Only twelve of the ninety-six UK editions have been found according to the article, linked above, which is a shame.

I don't know how accurate the article is, but maybe if someone on here has some copies of those episodes, they can help out the situation.
  2. theSHE124

theSHE124 Active Member

Oh, that's terrible! :( I'm willing to pledge in any way I can!
  3. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

[bonks head on desk rhythmically in a Don Music fashion]

Wiping! Wiping, wiping, wiping, wiping, wiping, wiping, wiping!

So much of Britain's television past was destroyed by wiping. A lot of shows were barely saved by the stars of the shows themselves. You'd think Henson would have at least had the rights to those tapes, or at least something recorded off the masters.

I know in the early days of tape, it was expensive, and it was just easier to wipe things than to purchase a whole other tape. But this was the 80's. Surely they were much cheaper back then.
  4. I'm sure I read somewhere that there were more that had been discovered in an archive somewhere, but I can't remember where I saw that!
  5. Bliffenstimmers

Bliffenstimmers Active Member

I found a webpage that lists what episodes are still available on original master tapes, which are on VHS and DVD and which are privately owned or taped off a TV broadcast. http://www.nightshade.org.uk/fraggleuk.html
    SkeetScootSquat likes this.
  6. charlietheowl

So it's better than 12 of 96, but still not a complete collection. Hopefully some more can surface.

It's interesting to note that the British running order placed The River of Life in the midst of the closing 'trilogy' of the North American edition.
  7. Muppet fan 123

Muppet fan 123 Well-Known Member

There have been missing for a while. But now we're down to six? That's bad. That's really, really bad.

Everyone: If you think you might possibly have a UK Fraggle Rock episode on VHS, please check.
  8. Mrs AysheaGonzo

Mrs AysheaGonzo New Member

:eek::busy: :cry: They cant get rid of the Fraggles :grr: :busy:
    Dominicboo1 and SkeetScootSquat like this.
  9. Luke

Luke Active Member

Hi

This thread is well worth reading:
    http://missingepisodes.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=general&action=display&thread=4479

There were actually 57 episodes known to still exist though Jim Henson Company didn't have them all. Only 12 were broadcast quality, the rest grainy VHS.

However, ALL the episodes have been found recently in Zimbabwe, but again the Henson Company have not really made steps (as far as has been reported at least) to aquire them.

We really need to make sure these don't get binned!
  10. FrackleFan2012

FrackleFan2012 Well-Known Member

I hope these episodes don't get binned either. I would love to see the Blue Dragon from "Red's Blue Dragon" make an appearance in the UK version of Fraggle Rock.
  11. Hubert

Hubert Well-Known Member

Very interesting, thanks for posting, Luke. Hopefully all episodes can be found and captured and saved from final death.

*imagines two hunters running around capturing wild episodes*

(And nice to see you around, Luke! Always glad to have you!)
  12. FrackleFan2012

I hope Henson can restore the rest of the episodes so they can be broadcast quality.
    MuppetLuver2000 likes this.
  13. charlietheowl

Zimbabwe! That's a pretty odd place for the episodes to end up, but hopefully the Henson company drops some dollars and retrieves the copies.
  14. Luke

Luke Active Member

Great to see you Hubert, thanks.

Yes, its very strange. I guess at the time they must have sold the UK version to them rather than USA version.

Also Disney has a hand in what happened with UK Faggle - somehow they aquired all of the "TVS" UK tape library, and has never even touched it. So lots of 80's shows are "lost" but probably among those in boxes just sitting in a warehouse.
  15. Luke

Luke Active Member

16. theSHE124

theSHE124 Active Member

Hey guys, has anyone wondered if this could happen to other co-production FR? I mean, what is the fate for the French or German variations? :concern:
  17. FrackleFan2012

I know that all 85 episodes of the German version exists but if all German and/or French episodes didn't exist, then it would be hard for us fans to find great episodes from the French and German versions.
    theSHE124 likes this.
  18. BlueFrackle

BlueFrackle Active Member

19. FrackleFan2012

Woopiiieee! :excited::)
    Thanks for showing this to us, Wozza!
    I hope the UK episodes of Fraggle Rock air on CITV as apart of the classic programming. I hope you (and other people who live in the UK) DVR or tape this special for us Americans (and other foreign people who are not British) to watch on Youtube soon because we can't view any videos if we're outside of Great Britain. Please?
  20. MuppetDanny

MuppetDanny Well-Known Member

Fingers crossed ITV will show an episode that has never been on VHS DVD before:excited:
    FrackleFan2012 likes this.