Help Needed with Sesame Street Characters

ssetta

Reaction score
It just so happens that I know Christopher Cerf personally! He is one of the nicest men I have ever spoken with, and he has writen almost 500 songs for Sesame Street. He sure does write great music. And he sang a lot of the rock parodies. He did perform Chris from Chris and the Alphabeats, and also Chrissy from Little Jerry and the Monotones, and here are some other things that he sang on:

"G" Song (boy/girl duet)
Count Up To Nine
Ten Commandments Of Health
Born To Add
Letter B
(I Can't Get No) Co-Operation
Long Time, No See(?)
Honk Around The Clock
Hey Food
Wet Paint
Danger's No Stranger
Rebel L
Don't Walk (Wedding Party)
I'm A Manatee (film)
Barn In The U.S.A.

He has not sung on the show since 1993, because that's when the new executive producer came (he's gone now), and he didn't like Chris's music for some reason. I guess that producer wasn't really a fan of rock 'n roll. He did write some after that, but not as much as he did before. He is now working on a show called "Between The Lions".

And also, just a reminder, the petition now has 108 signatures. Let's keep that up. It hasn't moved in about a week.

Splurge

Reaction score
Originally posted by Joggy
I thought Larry was Richard Hunt, Mary was Jerry Nelson and Barry was Jim Henson.
You're right, they were in the "At Sea" sketch. But in the campfire sketch Jerry Nelson was Barry and Frank was Larry. Richard was the bear. Those are the only two sketches I know of.

Who Mary was in this bit is a mystery to me, it almost sounds like a John Lovelady voice - a higher voice similar to Jerry's, but not Jerry. I wish I knew who that was. I wonder if Lovelady puppeteered for the show.

Jackie

Reaction score
Christopher Cerf has a beautiful voice! No other Muppet ever sounded so good!

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Okay, guys, if you're ready, let's move right along onto Round 3! Here's the new batch of questions, which I hope someone will be able to answer. First off, Round 2's subquestion (b) went unanswered. I'd like to know if the list of characters posted above should be considered as characters to be added to the database. Furthermore, should the following also be considered to join the master listing:
How Now Brown Cow and the Moo Wave,
Dr. Thad and the Medications, and
Over the Top.
Well onwards to Round 3
1 Is Bip Bippaddata an actual character distinct from Mahna Mahna, or are they both the same character?
2 What is Ferlenghetti's real full name and how is it spelled? I thought his full name was Donizetti Ferlenghetti, but I could be wrong and hopefully someone more knowledgeable than myself can correct my mistake.
3 What is the correct full name of Forgetful Jones' cowboy friend? Is it Noah Cowhand or Cowherd?
That's all the questions I can think of asking for now, and I appreciate all the help I get from this great community of Muppet fans.

Thunder clashing and Lightning flashing, the Count.

ssetta

Reaction score
Well, How Now Brown, as I posted above, was Christopher Cerf.
Dr. Thad was actually voiced by someone named Thad Mumford, that was the only time he actually performed on the show. And the lead singer of Over The Top was Jerry Nelson.

2. You got Ferlinghetti's real name right.
3. Noel Cowherd.

TravellingMatt

Reaction score
Thad Mumford? I wonder if it's the same Thad Mumford who worked behind the scenes on "M*A*S*H", thus furthering the Muppet/M*A*S*H connection (Loretta Swit on the Muppet Show, Big Bird naming his teddy bear Radar).

"Oh how lovely life will be, if we keep the ten commandments of health!"

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Well, since I believe we're ready to forge ahead to Round 4, it's time to double up the anty. Don't worry, though these are just some more quick questions which I hope someone will be able to answer.
1 What's the name of the Scottish female collie opera singer muppet? Is her name Annata or Renatta Scottie?
2 Are Bip Bippadotta and Mahna Mahna two different characters, or are they the one and the same?
3 Is Charlie from Grover's restaurant considered as an actual character even though he never appeared on-screen?
4 Is Allisdaire Cookie considered an actual character even though he was performed by Cookie Monster himself?
5 How is it that Mr. Johnson, (Fat Blue), is differentiated from Sam the Sounds Man? Are they two different characters, or are they the same muppet?
6 What are the names of the five monsters from the Monster Clubhouse segment, and how can each one of them be differentiated from the other?
Thanks to all who post their answers, since it's all for the worthy cause of Muppet research!

Thunder clashing and Lightning flashing, the Count.

TravellingMatt

Reaction score
Charlie of Charlie's Restaurant has not been seen visibly.

Simon the Sound Man and Fat Blue (Mr. Johnson) are the same Muppet, but two different characters. In one of the skits where Grover serves Simon, Simon reveals himself to be Mr. Johnson's brother.

The four Monsters in the Monster Clubhouse are Google (purple, with pigtails), Phoebe (green with pink eyelids), Narf (orange with googly eyes), and Mel (blue, horned, no visible eyes, and only speaks gibberish). Mel looks like they dumped blue fur all over Boober Fraggle, actually...

I usually don't consider Alistair Cookie a separate character per se.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Here's another quick question! Originally posted by TravellingMatt: "This was a rare case where a character from an animated segment, Cowboy X, was parlayed into a Muppet character (they used the lavender live-hands Anything
Muppet for him). Big Bird requests Cowboy X's autograph, which is, of course, a big letter X." This was, of course, before he changed his name to Cowboy O. Would it be appropriate to list him in the X-section of a Muppet database since Cowboy X leaves his mark, that of the letter X, on everything in town? Even though I list characters by their first names with the exceptions of babies, doctors, and misters, would anyone be opposed to making such another X-ception? Thanks for your help, and Round 5 will be coming quite soon.

Count up to 9 for me baby, the Count.