HEH! Work It's been Canceled!

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Again, networks don't give a shittake mushroom anymore, all they care about is having X-amount of viewers and bringing in X-amount of money, and if they feel a show isn't living up to that fulfillment, even while still running, they'll go ahead and yank it.

It's not like back in the old days when a show's future was determined by studying the numbers after the season ended, and whether or not the numbers were good enough to ensure its renewal or not. If either M*A*S*H or SEINFELD were on today, they'd both be yanked after just a few episodes had aired. In M*A*S*H's case, it wasn't even in the top 50 during its first season, nobody was watching it because they were all wrapped up in other shows like ALL IN THE FAMILY and MARY TYLER MOORE, it wasn't until it went into summer reruns that it gained an audience (and the network president's wife insisting he keep it on) that it went on to lasting 11 seasons and became one of the greatest series in television history. SEINFELD was already troubled from the beginning, they only got five episodes for its first season (including the original pilot), nobody understood the show, nobody liked the characters (we all love George now, but at the time he was considered a wimpy and unappealing loser), and the humor was considered "too New York," and "too Jewish," to appeal to the masses... yet, somebody at the network had faith enough in it to keep renewing it to the point it lasted 9 seasons and is now considered the greatest show of all time.

See, in SEINFELD's case, that's what's missing from the television industry today: trust. Even Sid & Marty Krofft talk about how they would never survive today like they did back in the 70s, because back then, network executives had enough of a comfort level to invest their trust in them to deliver a good show, but today, they wouldn't even get any kind of a say in how their shows would turn out, and then they'd end up canceled.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Also it is on a Monday, and not even for a new show. It just seems unlogical to cancel a show in its second season in November that is not even doing that bad in the first place.
If CBS were cancelling this due to ratings, they're not very bright. They are consistently high in the ratings, even with formulaic bullcrap like NCIS and dry, old, long considered culturally irrelevant Survivor. The show should have been kept on Thursdays when the only strong competition is ABC, as NBC pretty much gave up.

But the more I think about it, the more I'm guessing Sean Hayes's inclusion was Executive Meddling, and the show's producers wanted none of it. The show did not need that sort of Camp Gay stereotype flouncing around, and it doesn't even fit in with the show's humor. The other characters are funny enough on their own. J.B. Smoov was the only outside force they needed, and often he stole the show (especially the episode where he's watching their home movies and it gets meta). Someone forcefully ruined last year's best sitcom and now they just dumped it.

As for Mike and Molly, I don't see that lasting much longer either because they pulled a Rhoda and married them off too soon. Maybe if they waited a season or something. It's much better than Lorre's other shows, and less cartoony as well. It's just that I get the whole stages of a couple in front of our eyes bit, but they rushed them to marriage and it took away some of the chase in the earlier seasons.

Plus the new theme song is glob awful.

Muppet Master

Reaction score
I like the new time for Bob's Burgers, though I still would rather prefer it after The Simpsons, at least it is now on prime time, Mulaney before The Simpsons is a strange time, but maybe it could benefit from Modern Family reruns, probably not, but it could happen.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Okay, I get that they'll give anybody a reality show, yeah-yeah-yeah, but is anyone else besides me a little bothered that morticians are being given a reality show? Sure, apparently the show's more about they really moonlight as amateur wrestlers (who writes this stuff), but still, it seems disrespectful to the deceased and their families to me.

mr3urious

Reaction score
Okay, I get that they'll give anybody a reality show, yeah-yeah-yeah, but is anyone else besides me a little bothered that morticians are being given a reality show? Sure, apparently the show's more about they really moonlight as amateur wrestlers (who writes this stuff), but still, it seems disrespectful to the deceased and their families to me.
Sounds pretty tasteless to me, too. I hope the ghosts of those dead people haunt the producers for all eternity.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I dunno... that seems squeaky clean compared to some of the other reality shows out there.

It's seriously the low price tags and ironic viewers that keep those awful shows going. And usually because cable channels would have nothing else to air otherwise.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
So, this season's hottest new comedy is... an Asian family that desperately wants to be white to fit in with American society.

Yeah, that's gold; racial oppression is always funny. And the Geico Cavemen were accused of representing oppressed blacks.

Muppet Master

Reaction score
So, this season's hottest new comedy is... an Asian family that desperately wants to be white to fit in with American society.

Yeah, that's gold; racial oppression is always funny. And the Geico Cavemen were accused of representing oppressed blacks.
It almost seems like they are trying to make another black ish with the family wanting to be a different race.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I guess BLACK*ISH must be a big hit then, because once something becomes a hit, then all the other networks come out with their own carbon copies... that's always happened, even abck in the early days of television.

Muppet Master

Reaction score
I guess BLACK*ISH must be a big hit then, because once something becomes a hit, then all the other networks come out with their own carbon copies... that's always happened, even abck in the early days of television.
Though, this is the same network ripping off a really good show, which seems strange, but I guess we can expect to see FOX's Brit ish, NBC's White ish, and CBS's American ish next year.