HEH! Work It's been Canceled!

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Film techniques can work for television.
That's why almost all shows from the late 50s into the early 70s were single camera, allowing for a far greater range of camera angles, close ups, tracking shots, among other things. Still, mockumentary style feels out of place on a weekly series.
It's the writing that still needs to matter.
And we really haven't had that kind of writing since SEINFELD (yes, yes, I know we all keep going back to SEINFELD, but honestly, SEINFELD is considered by many - both in the industry itself, and television consumers - to have been the last well-written show we've seen on TV); now, all we've got is low-brow bottom of the barrel humor, unlikeable ******* characters (which apparently are more "authentic" and "relatable" than decent characters), and conflict is usually Character A wants to get in bed with Character B who wants to get in bed with Character C who's already been sleeping with Character A who also has a part with Character D who wants to sleep with all of them.

Again, the problem is viewers know what they want to see, but what audiences want to see and what networks think they want to see are two different things, and it's all about network control these days.

Muppet Master

Reaction score
That's why almost all shows from the late 50s into the early 70s were single camera, allowing for a far greater range of camera angles, close ups, tracking shots, among other things. Still, mockumentary style feels out of place on a weekly series.
And we really haven't had that kind of writing since SEINFELD (yes, yes, I know we all keep going back to SEINFELD, but honestly, SEINFELD is considered by many - both in the industry itself, and television consumers - to have been the last well-written show we've seen on TV); now, all we've got is low-brow bottom of the barrel humor, unlikeable ******* characters (which apparently are more "authentic" and "relatable" than decent characters), and conflict is usually Character A wants to get in bed with Character B who wants to get in bed with Character C who's already been sleeping with Character A who also has a part with Character D who wants to sleep with all of them.

Again, the problem is viewers know what they want to see, but what audiences want to see and what networks think they want to see are two different things, and it's all about network control these days.
I would not say that Seinfeld was the last well written show, more like one of the last. The truth is there are no real fresh ideas on TV anymore, whatever goes by the book gets renewed, anything different gets cancelled, that is why there are not any classics on television these days. We would not even be talking about Seinfeld if it were not for the old days where TV shows were given a chance at success, and even if met with failure got another chance, networks were very flexible. Work It could have revolutionized television, the second episode was really good, but well we all know what happened. All we get now is the same old shows that "borrow" material from past success stories hoping to get the same success, not that there's anything wrong with that but this all boils down to my favorite Kermit quote. You can't beat the classics, you can only destroy them. Still, there are still some television bright spots, Black Ish was pretty well written.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Hearing that FOP is ending, I realize I kinda don't have any sympathy for it, considering the last bunch of episodes. Some were actually pretty good, but the rest were just repetitive and formulaic. I'd say the addition of Sparky was actually an improvement. I just hope they don't hold the rest of the series hostage. But it's a shame it doesn't get a better finale than the live action Hawaii movie. not that it was bad. Cheap, yeah! Plus, it seems they renew it over and over, but get reluctant to actually air it sometimes. What's up with that?!

Muppet Master

Reaction score
It looks like Are You Smarter Than a 5th Grader is returning on FOX on Firdays at 8pm. FOX is so desperate for some good ratings that they are getting a show long canceled back on air.

FunnieGuy

Reaction score
Even though it sounds like a poor move I have to admit it feels a little good seeing something from long ago come back.

Drtooth

Reaction score
It looks like Are You Smarter Than a 5th Grader is returning on FOX on Firdays at 8pm. FOX is so desperate for some good ratings that they are getting a show long canceled back on air.
Fox really doesn't have anything besides Simpsons, Family Guy, Gordon Ramsey and American Idol (which should have died years ago). Glad to see that Gotham might finish the season with a decent episode count. I actually can't stand New Girl since it's basically a less good ripoff of a show on ABC that never got a chance (with one of the same actors, no less). And Glee's ending. Though you wouldn't think to notice the thing is actually still around. That got stale really fast, and I doubt anyone even likes it anymore, even the diest of hard fans. So yeah... I see that.

Muppet Master

Reaction score
Fox really doesn't have anything besides Simpsons, Family Guy, Gordon Ramsey and American Idol (which should have died years ago). Glad to see that Gotham might finish the season with a decent episode count. I actually can't stand New Girl since it's basically a less good ripoff of a show on ABC that never got a chance (with one of the same actors, no less). And Glee's ending. Though you wouldn't think to notice the thing is actually still around. That got stale really fast, and I doubt anyone even likes it anymore, even the diest of hard fans. So yeah... I see that.
It was a mistake to cancel Are Your Smarter than a 5th Grader in the first place, the show was pretty good, and the ratings were not bad. Ya, FOX is struggling, someday it will probably just be biased fake news twenty four hours a day. The Simpsons and Family Guy need to end someday, and that is basically it for FOX's successful scripted shows, Bob's Burgers may have a chance, but I miss the day when FOX Sundays were just animation. King of the Hill, Futurama, etc. FOX should be looking at reviving the block.

Muppet Master

Reaction score
ABC canceled Selfie, which was too bad. It isn't a great show, but it was much better than anything with that title deserved to be. So both of ABC's Tuesday night sitcoms have bit the dust.
Well that was unexpected. No seriously, I did not really expect the show to make it past 2 episodes. In real unexpected news, Forever got a full season order which makes it get more episodes than How To Get Away with Murder. Seems weird, but awesome since that show is really good, but I wonder why ABC did this, I guess Tuesdays at ten is an ABC death slot, so maybe on that level, Forever is succeeding, still glad for the show, hope it has a chance at season two now.

charlietheowl

Reaction score
Well that was unexpected. No seriously, I did not really expect the show to make it past 2 episodes. In real unexpected news, Forever got a full season order which makes it get more episodes than How To Get Away with Murder. Seems weird, but awesome since that show is really good, but I wonder why ABC did this, I guess Tuesdays at ten is an ABC death slot, so maybe on that level, Forever is succeeding, still glad for the show, hope it has a chance at season two now.
I think How To Get Away With Murder is only getting a limited amount of episodes to allow Viola Davis to work on movies along with the TV filming schedule. That's probably going to become a trend with TV shows now.