HEH! Work It's been Canceled!

D'Snowth

Reaction score
FOX has been canceling show that were still in production lately.

NBC had a power house with THE OFFICE and 30 ROCK, but both of those shows ended up running their courses, so now they've hit a dry patch.

COMMUNITY has been uncanceled, it's on Yahoo! now for some reason.

Muppet fan 123

Reaction score
COMMUNITY has been uncanceled, it's on Yahoo! now for some reason.
Reason: Because it's a brilliant show, and Yahoo recognizes that. I kinda wish it would have it's final season on NBC so it can end properly, but at least it's at a home that cares about it.

charlietheowl

Reaction score
Reason: Because it's a brilliant show, and Yahoo recognizes that. I kinda wish it would have it's final season on NBC so it can end properly, but at least it's at a home that cares about it.
Is it on Yahoo for only one season, or could it be more if the ratings (is that even the right word for online shows?) are strong?

Muppet fan 123

Reaction score
Is it on Yahoo for only one season, or could it be more if the ratings (is that even the right word for online shows?) are strong?
Yahoo clearly came out and stated that they're only promising one season (so fans shouldn't expect the Six Seasons and a Movie right away), and discussions will continue beyond that when season six has wrapped. They'll probably wrap everything up in a short forty-minute Yahoo original movie. I doubt Sony will be putting in the money for a theatrical one anyway.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Well, Utopia is the first FOX show to be cancelled.

http://insidetv.ew.com/2014/11/02/utopia-canceled-by-fox/

This was not really a shocker, and they will not even air the remaining episodes, and the episodes online will fade away soon. So after a long wait, 4 shows have been cancelled in the past two weeks.
Actually, I'm not surprised. They gave it the Friday Night death slot. And let's be honest. I don't know how Survivor manages to stay on the air, and it's probably by the skin of its teeth. Yeah, it's cheap to produce, yet you never hear anyone talk about it anymore except to say "that's still on?!" That series stopped being relevant several years back, and the question remains... why make a crappy knockoff of a series that's no longer culturally relevant? Even in the show's prime, Utopia would have looked like a desperate cash grab. Now it looks like a desperate cash grab by someone completely out of touch. And not old white guy who still uses "bling" uniorinically (even ironically using that word is far out of fashion). I mean, in a coma for 15 years and thinks Clinton's still the president out of touch. Good riddance. But I'd still be happier if the real thing ended.

And I really am hoping for Mulenhy to bite the dust and give Bobs their time slot. I actually tried to give it another shot, and all I could find was the same uninspired 90's Seinfeld wannabe I saw at first. This was by the guy who wrote the Stephon sketches that always had Bill Hader corpsing.

Yahoo clearly came out and stated that they're only promising one season (so fans shouldn't expect the Six Seasons and a Movie right away), and discussions will continue beyond that when season six has wrapped. They'll probably wrap everything up in a short forty-minute Yahoo original movie. I doubt Sony will be putting in the money for a theatrical one anyway.
I don't think a Community movie would cost that much anyway. Unless they wanted a huge budget to do something completely off the wall and wacky. It's not completely out of the question to make a short release theatrical film, like Veronica Mars did.

It's continuing for the fans and the fans only who would follow them to Yahoo. All the other streaming sites turned them down, which is a shame as they're easier to access. But NBC cutting their nose off to spite their face worked beautifully. I'm sure A to Z's 3 actual fans will be heartbroken, and... ugh, I'll just say it. Bad Judge sucks.

charlietheowl

Reaction score
That makes sense. Suppose the best way is to take things one season at a time and then go from there, especially when working with someone as mercurial as Dan Harmon.

Muppet Master

Reaction score
Actually, I'm not surprised. They gave it the Friday Night death slot. And let's be honest. I don't know how Survivor manages to stay on the air, and it's probably by the skin of its teeth. Yeah, it's cheap to produce, yet you never hear anyone talk about it anymore except to say "that's still on?!" That series stopped being relevant several years back, and the question remains... why make a crappy knockoff of a series that's no longer culturally relevant? Even in the show's prime, Utopia would have looked like a desperate cash grab. Now it looks like a desperate cash grab by someone completely out of touch. And not old white guy who still uses "bling" uniorinically (even ironically using that word is far out of fashion). I mean, in a coma for 15 years and thinks Clinton's still the president out of touch. Good riddance. But I'd still be happier if the real thing ended.

And I really am hoping for Mulaney to bite the dust and give Bobs their time slot. I actually tried to give it another shot, and all I could find was the same uninspired 90's Seinfeld wannabe I saw at first. This was by the guy who wrote the Stephon sketches that always had Bill Hader corpsing.

I don't think a Community movie would cost that much anyway. Unless they wanted a huge budget to do something completely off the wall and wacky. It's not completely out of the question to make a short release theatrical film, like Veronica Mars did.

It's continuing for the fans and the fans only who would follow them to Yahoo. All the other streaming sites turned them down, which is a shame as they're easier to access. But NBC cutting their nose off to spite their face worked beautifully. I'm sure A to Z's 3 actual fans will be heartbroken, and... ugh, I'll just say it. Bad Judge sucks.
I still do not undestand how Mulaney is a Seinfeld rip off, just because the guy is doing stand up comedy. Seems like a stupid way to degrade this show. The only thing critics are saying is that its a Seinfeld "rip off", and they hate it, yet Modern Family is a "rip off" of The Office yet it undeservingly gets 5 Emmy awards, the way critics rate something these days is just annoying. Anyways two things happened on Mulaney last night that were great and astonishing. First off, a main character gets electrocuted, and is in critical condition at the end of the episode. Finally, Mulaney's girlfriend literally said, I defend you everytime someone calls you a Seinfeld rip off. Pretty fence jumping material if you ask me, sad the show will be over in a minute.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
MODERN FAMILY is a "rip off" of THE OFFICE, because it follows suit to the mockumentary style that THE OFFICE pioneered, which does not work for television. Mockumentary works well for movies, like A MIGHTY WIND and those other Christopher Guest movies, but it just doesn't work well for a weekly series... it just doesn't... just like multicamera setups with live audiences wouldn't work for movies.

Now WHITNEY, on the other hand, that was a SEINFELD ripoff... in fact, it was often considered to be the female SEINFELD; Louis C.K.'s show is considered a SEINFELD copy (but not ripoff) as well, not because it's about a comedian getting his material, but because it's literally a show about nothing, which SEINFELD was often cited to be.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
MODERN FAMILY is a "rip off" of THE OFFICE, because it follows suit to the mockumentary style that THE OFFICE pioneered, which does not work for television. Mockumentary works well for movies, like A MIGHTY WIND and those other Christopher Guest movies, but it just doesn't work well for a weekly series... it just doesn't... just like multicamera setups with live audiences wouldn't work for movies.
I fail to see how Mockumentary doesn't work for TV. Suspension of disbelief is HIGHLY needed for it to work (why are they being filmed? why for so long?), but I don't see any issue with it.

Of course a multicam sitcom wouldn't work for movies, but that doesn't mean a movie format for TV doesn't work.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I still do not undestand how Mulaney is a Seinfeld rip off, just because the guy is doing stand up comedy. Seems like a stupid way to degrade this show. The only thing critics are saying is that its a Seinfeld "rip off", and they hate it, yet Modern Family is a "rip off" of The Office yet it undeservingly gets 5 Emmy awards, the way critics rate something these days is just annoying. Anyways two things happened on Mulaney last night that were great and astonishing. First off, a main character gets electrocuted, and is in critical condition at the end of the episode. Finally, Mulaney's girlfriend literally said, I defend you everytime someone calls you a Seinfeld rip off. Pretty fence jumping material if you ask me, sad the show will be over in a minute.
I watched a lot of TV in the 90's. I've seen every flavor of Seinfeld Ripoff NBC made. What I'm saying is that series would feel right at home in one of NBC's blocks between Seinfeld and ER. Or scuttled off on a Tuesday after Frasier. I gave the show another chance, and I felt it subpar. I'm sure Martin Short saves the show in the middle, but I've seen that kind of character too many times now. It's glutting on a spot that would have been best for that certain under-appreciated show with a cult audience. Not a lame 90's throwback sitcom.

I fail to see how Mockumentary doesn't work for TV. Suspension of disbelief is HIGHLY needed for it to work (why are they being filmed? why for so long?), but I don't see any issue with it.
I agree. The only thing that makes a sitcom not work is the quality of the show. The only Mocumentary shows I've seen are The Office, Modern Family, and Parks and Rec. Film techniques can work for television. It's the writing that still needs to matter. That's why the last 2 seasons of The Office sucked. And thank Glob we never got Dwight's spinoff. Yuck!

What bugs me is that few can get the classic laugh track style sitcom right anymore. That new thing about a Boston family on CBS is awful. It's like they set the laugh track to "pulse." You need story inbetween the one liners and completely dated references. Not joke, laugh, joke, laugh.