HBO is editing modern Sesame Street episodes

gravy

Reaction score
Why did you post this here are you annoyed at HBO editing SST episodes or were you try to some humor here in this thread?
It's basically a way of showing my reaction to how SS changes a bit too much and how it's a bit irritating when they make some horrible decisions for the show, for example, not taking responsibility to get the rights to their own songs.

MuppetSpot

Reaction score
Actually we do not know what's going on with all these edits with the HBO I thought it was something with Joe Rapso estate but, looks like other parts are getting edited. So only time will tell us what's going on.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
So a segment is changed every other episode. Big whoop. It's not ideal, but 99% of you aren't watching the shows HBO anyway so why complain?

MuppetSpot

Reaction score
I have been watching the episodes on HBO. Honesty, I don't care if episodes are getting edited. I am not complaining.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
I have been watching the episodes on HBO. Honesty, I don't care if episodes are getting edited. I am not complaining.
I wasn't saying it to you. I was throwing it out there to anyone complaining about edits.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Okay. I think I am confused.

The Raposo songs being edited are only for the rerun footage 30 minute episodes? I somehow got the feeling it also affects HBO/HBO Go run older episodes.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
Okay. I think I am confused.

The Raposo songs being edited are only for the rerun footage 30 minute episodes? I somehow got the feeling it also affects HBO/HBO Go run older episodes.
No, all the "classic" shows and episodes from seasons 41-45 cut Raposo tracks.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Ugh.

That is disgusting. I don't know who's to blame for that, but it's a complete disservice to Sesame Street fans. As much as I'm usually a proponent of releasing old Sesame Street episodes on different platforms, if they can't get the rights to their own songs that were written for them because of some idiotic licensing deal, what's the point? They might as well just keep releasing just clips of episodes online instead of full ones. I know that it shouldn't be an issue and we should be grateful that they're releasing these, but...

There's things I can totally forgive about Sesame Street from the perspective of it being a show I've outgrown several times over, and kids wouldn't know or care about things they haven't seen until maybe they find out about them later. But this strange problem with securing the rights to songs written for them by someone who was instrumental in shaping the show back in the day is baffling. And yes, I totally understand that music rights are the most insane thing there is out there. This seems like something strangely beyond SW's control, even with WB or HBO's money. And this could be blamed on anything from a shifty estate (though you'd think that his estate would know how important he was to Sesame Street and vice versa) to greedy old farts that buy up rights to songs for the sake of owning them and making money having the rights have to pass through them. But for whatever reason, someone has to get their crap together and work something out for a show's use of a song written specifically for the show.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I doubt this is something they can easily control, to be fair. The blame lies mostly on whatever copyright holder his songs are in the hands of. Why they're refusing to let the show the songs were written utilize them in these legally released episodes is a matter of stubbornness, ineptitude, and greed. On the plus side, it means CTW didn't forcibly take the rights to his songs back in the day, letting him have an independent publishing copyright. Creators rights and all. Though in this case, they probably should have. CTW/SW never actually owned the Muppet characters made for the show up until EMTV went under and they just gave those characters to SW when Henson bought the rest of it back just before selling TMS and Bear characters to Disney.

So whatever the reason, whoever owns the copyrights to Raposo's songs doesn't feel like dealing with SW, no matter how much of WB's home video or HBO's money they can throw at them. Wouldn't be surprised if they turned around and used them for laxative commercials before the show they were written for can use them.