Have you ever, you know, performed a puppet on fire?

scarylarrywolf

Reaction score
I have this idea for a short puppet video in which I am considering making a dummy puppet that I can spray with lighter fluid and set on fire, parading it back and forth across the screen. Has anyone out there attempted this? If so, what was your method for keeping your arm from third degree burns?

I will definitely consult a firefighter before trying this, but I'm guessing lining the inside of the puppet with a thick insulation of some fire-proof fabric or somehow obtaining and wearing a firefighter's glove could work. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Melonpool

Reaction score
First off, you have to think about the materials you use... Foam and any other man-made materials give off toxic gasses when burned. Also, a lot of materials like polyester turn to a hard plastic once heat is introduced -- which adheres to skin instantaneously.

The problem with setting a puppet on fire is also that you have it above your head as it burns. Any debris that breaks off from the burning puppet will fall onto your face and body, so a glove of protection may keep your hand safe, but not keep you from being horribly burned.

I'm not sure what to do to make the effect you're looking for. I'd say your best bet is to build a special stunt puppet out of paper mache and fabric and place it on a metal pole that can be well away from your body. It's on fire, so who really cares if it's basically a doll that's lit up?

Also, I'd stay away from lighter fluid until you know how much to use. And definitely stay away from gasoline and other flammables. Maybe someone in your area has experience with this sort of thing? I'd definitely check with pros and have people with extinguishers standing by before you attempted anything like this.

Steve

gfarkwort

Reaction score
yea....put it on a stick or something...don't put your arm in it...

mrhogg

Reaction score
Depending on how concerned you are about the realism of the fire, you could always add in the fire digitally, after the fact. It would certainly save you from potential damage, and unless you actually need to see the poor puppet turned to ashes, it would probably give you the look you're hoping for.

Punch'n'Judy

Reaction score
There were some sequences in the film Strings which had burning marionettes.

scarylarrywolf

Reaction score
Thanks for all your input. I like the paper mache idea... and marionettes -- D'oh! Why didn't I think of that? I feel so uncreative.

I think I'll try combining those two methods.

GabeFirestone

Reaction score
i would recomend you use special effects or something... like, overlap two video frames of your pupet and a different one of fire? i don't really know, i'm not very good with computers at all, but just DON"T DO ANYTHING DANGEROUS! :zany:

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
I'm going to add my voice to the chorus of "don't do its", but I've done stuffed with fire and minor pyro (professionally prepared). The puppets were not actually set on fire, but since there was some involved we used special flame retardent gloves just in case.