Has Elmo's voice changed over the years?

Rugby

Reaction score
Is it just me or has it changed? I've been listening to muppet radio all night and whenever an Elmo piece comes on, I can barely stand it. How did Kevin Clash morph Elmo's voice into the way it is today without us noticing right away? I like the old Elmo voice.

The current Elmo voice sounds like a variation of Howie Mandell's Bobby from Bobby's World. I don't know why, but Elmo's current voice just makes me cringe. Tell me I'm not wrong and that Elmo used to sound different.

It just seems like Kevin uses too much "bubble" in his voice when he does Elmo now. It's where you put the back of your tongue in the back of your throat and talk. It's just annoying and the pitch goes right to the bone. Anybody agree? Or am I in big trouble? :frown:

zyzzybalubah

Reaction score
From Elmo's bio on the S-E:

Name: Elmo
Seasons: 11 - present
Years: 1979 - present
Performers: Brian Muehl 1979-1981, Richard Hunt 1981-1985, Kevin Clash 1985-present

You probably heard one of his early performers. I agree, Clash is a bit annoying as Elmo. I mute the volume whenever his voice is on MR.

jeffkjoe

Reaction score
Kevin Clash's Elmo sounded more scratchy in its earlier incarnations from the mid-eighties to early nineties.

Plus, his speaking skills weren't really refined yet. His English wasn't as developed: "Elmo love Linda!" as opposed to now: "Elmo loves Linda!"

Check the episode where Elmo helps Snuffy be revealed to everyone and also the clip of early Elmo and Jim Henson's Ernie singing: "One Fine Face."

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
jeffkjoe said:
Kevin Clash's Elmo sounded more scratchy in its earlier incarnations from the mid-eighties to early nineties.

Plus, his speaking skills weren't really refined yet. His English wasn't as developed: "Elmo love Linda!" as opposed to now: "Elmo loves Linda!"

Check the episode where Elmo helps Snuffy be revealed to everyone and also the clip of early Elmo and Jim Henson's Ernie singing: "One Fine Face."
Yeah, I see what you mean. I've watched the 20th anniversary special recently and noticed that Elmo sounded slightly different than he does now. Actually, I thought "One Fine Face" was Steve's Ernie. That's what it said on the Lyrics Archive.

froggiegirl18

Reaction score
It makes sense that the voice has changed because so has the age group who now watches Sesame Street. At first I didn't like Elmo because he took the place of Big Bird..that was who I grew up with. My mind was changed after watching a clip from a dvd of him performing the voice without elmo doing "Lydia the Tatoo lady",it made me smile and now everytime I see or hear Elmo I also see Kevin..Elmo is truly his character.

Erine81981

Reaction score
Daffyfan2003 said:
Yeah, I see what you mean. I've watched the 20th anniversary special recently and noticed that Elmo sounded slightly different than he does now. Actually, I thought "One Fine Face" was Steve's Ernie. That's what it said on the Lyrics Archive.
Nope Jim Henson was doing Ernie in that song.